New Site Booking System

DavidKlyne replied on 25/11/2021 11:54

Posted on 25/11/2021 11:54

The Club have released more details of the new Booking System here 

There are still finer details still to be arrived but the link (thanks Harry) sets out how the new system will work.

I have closed the previous thread on when we will get details of the new booking system and opened this one to allow comments specifically on the new system rather than discussing what they might be.

David

SteveL replied on 05/01/2022 15:32

Posted on 05/01/2022 15:32

I don’t think it really matters wether some have had problems on grass or not. We don’t happen to want to use it if possible. As we like to book well in advance we have no idea what the weather conditions are going to be like.
I don’t particularly want to go prepared for getting our MH out of the mire, I’d rather just drive easily off the pitch. That’s not to say we wouldn’t use grass, just that we are very selective. One of our sites this year, at Dunnet bay, is all grass. However, I understand not an issue even if a bit wet. We also use grass abroad quite a bit. Of course there we haven’t booked and if we don’t like the look of it, or conditions deteriorate, we move on.

DavidKlyne replied on 05/01/2022 15:35

Posted on 05/01/2022 13:46 by EmilysDad

...  but we've never had a problem on the grass pitches.

Neither have we

Posted on 05/01/2022 15:35

On that basis ED you should welcome the ability to book a grass pitch as it seems you are likely to have plenty of choicewink  As to whether existing grass pitched campsites will be converted to hardstandings I somehow doubt that because I suspect the Club would have already done it had it been possible? Probably a bit early to tell whether it will lead to more hardstandings where currently there is a mix. The club will no doubt monitor the booking patterns, my guess would be that the hardstandings will be booked first. I suppose the gamble for the Club in allowing you to book a pitch surface is that more grass pitches could be left unoccupied which would put pressure on converting more to hardstanding but I think it a case of watching this space.

David

cyberyacht replied on 05/01/2022 15:37

Posted on 05/01/2022 13:10 by peedee

Interesting to note that one of the categories you can book under the new system is "non electric economy hardstanding. I hope this is an indication of changes to come.

peedee

Posted on 05/01/2022 15:37

That sounds like an option I could go for.

Not that grass bothers me particularly. The only time I ended up ploughing a furrow was on a CL and I was still able to extricate my moho without outside assistance. I wonder how often, across the network, that the cavalry have to be summoned and how much of the problem, even then, is of the drivers own making.

replied on 05/01/2022 15:43

Posted on 05/01/2022 13:46 by EmilysDad

...  but we've never had a problem on the grass pitches.

Neither have we

Posted on 05/01/2022 15:43

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

MichaelT replied on 05/01/2022 16:16

Posted on 05/01/2022 13:10 by peedee

Interesting to note that one of the categories you can book under the new system is "non electric economy hardstanding. I hope this is an indication of changes to come.

peedee

Posted on 05/01/2022 16:16

If its like the economy pitches we have now there will be 1 per site in the dullest corner under a tree miles from anywhereundecided

The best ones we have seen are Trethewit Farm which are great overlooking the sea.

peedee replied on 05/01/2022 16:21

Posted on 05/01/2022 16:21

Exeter has a good one, more by accident than design. Its for the ouside broadcast van to park on when race meetings are on!

Camping in the Forest, Setthorns, has some which I am hoping to use this year.

peedee

JollyKernow replied on 05/01/2022 18:07

Posted on 05/01/2022 09:35 by DavidKlyne

JK

I think Scotkb's point is that having booked so far in advance before the new system comes into place, he and others in the same position, could well find themselves in a Hobson's choice situation with perhaps only grass pitches left? Assuming of course that the ability to be able to book a hardstanding is as popular as many of us think it will be? Perhaps his best option, if there is availability of hardstandings when the system comes into place is to cancel his original booking and rebook a hardstanding. However that would require a deposit to be paid.

David

Posted on 05/01/2022 18:07

Evening

I've mentioned before that there's no need to cancel a booking and try to rebook. Contact the site concerned and amend the booking. At least then you'll know if there's a hardstanding available to book. 

JK

JollyKernow replied on 05/01/2022 18:09

Posted on 05/01/2022 15:43 by

We have

Posted on 05/01/2022 18:09

Ha,

Those were the days when wardens wore green, and some wore white socksyell

No front tow balls anymore though

JK

JollyKernow replied on 05/01/2022 18:22

Posted on 05/01/2022 09:56 by scotkb

in an attempt to ensure you get the type of pitch you thought you were getting you need to get first choice before new system goes live , you may not be able to just turn up and choose 12 months after booking , what you want will all be gone as you are last in the queue, also canceling and reebook is risky , there needs to be the chance for current bookings holders  to edit their booking pitch type first before system goes live . thats fair i think !

Posted on 05/01/2022 18:22

"in an attempt to ensure you get the type of pitch you thought you were getting" There's never been a guarantee of a pitch type though has there?

I've mentioned to DK above, a way to find if there's a hardstanding available after the new system is live is to call the site you intend to visit and amend your booking in some way, then at least you'll be informed. Ok you'll then have to pay a deposit but that's how it's going to be. 

I hope this helps some. There's been some questions raised by us already regarding existing bookings similar to your thoughts so hopefully they'll be answered at the next training session.

JK

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook