New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

SteveL replied on 13/12/2022 08:10

Posted on 13/12/2022 08:10

It seems they have gotten round to some improvements (last nights essential maintenance?)  You no longer get European. Places on a location search and what you are searching for is at the top of the list, rather than the local hockey club. Although it still has UK after it, so has to be touched / clicked on, even if the only result. You can’t just press search. However an improvement none the less, although they have not got round to limiting the search radius to 25 miles, so if you search for Devon you still get a large area.

Results are now listed in distance from your search, which worked fairly well when I tried Gloucester. 16 results inc CL’s with the closest CL listed first, rather than Cheltenham race course. Although I don’t think they were all totally in order and seemed to vary on separate tries.

Still no link to the old CL pages though.πŸ‘Ž

brue replied on 13/12/2022 08:39

Posted on 13/12/2022 08:39

The searches for all towns and counties now need the additional UK. If not you still get the extra places like ice rinks and hospitals in a follow on list, an unnecessary distraction. If I put Bath in the search it doesn't like it, a red box appears. Not everyone will know they have to add uk.

young thomas replied on 13/12/2022 08:50

Posted on 13/12/2022 08:50

Yes, adding UK isnt the most intuitive thing you'd do when searching for UK located sites in a UK system.

whether the change is an 'improvement' is a moot point.

i cant believe how long it seems to take to implement such a change...similarly, adding the link back to the old CL data.

I agree, it's not the thing to perpetuate a reference set from a system that's being discontinued, however getting the missing data from the old to the new is likely to take a lifetime at this rate...πŸ‘Ž

young thomas replied on 13/12/2022 09:22

Posted on 13/12/2022 09:22

Just tried a quick search for a town and included CL search. List worked ok but on map, although the nearest CL was shown on the map, the road it is in was not!?

the map seems to have lost a level of road detail, even though it shows outbuildings, just not the road on which they're located.

part of the recent change?

just checked my home town and 95% of the roads have disappeared? 

I used to use the site map location to get a 'picture' of the location alongside other directions....perhaps the level of detail was found to be affecting the search speed?

either way, pretty hopeless...

SteveL replied on 13/12/2022 09:31

Posted on 13/12/2022 08:39 by brue

The searches for all towns and counties now need the additional UK. If not you still get the extra places like ice rinks and hospitals in a follow on list, an unnecessary distraction. If I put Bath in the search it doesn't like it, a red box appears. Not everyone will know they have to add uk.

Posted on 13/12/2022 09:31

Must be a device specific thing brue.  If I put Bath in on the iPad I get Bath UK and Bathgate UK, nothing else. I also don’t get the likes of the hockey club listed below on other searches. Although even if they do on some, as long as what I am searching for is at the top, I don’t think it matters. That happens with a standard Google maps search.

SteveL replied on 13/12/2022 10:03

Posted on 13/12/2022 09:22 by young thomas

Just tried a quick search for a town and included CL search. List worked ok but on map, although the nearest CL was shown on the map, the road it is in was not!?

the map seems to have lost a level of road detail, even though it shows outbuildings, just not the road on which they're located.

part of the recent change?

just checked my home town and 95% of the roads have disappeared? 

I used to use the site map location to get a 'picture' of the location alongside other directions....perhaps the level of detail was found to be affecting the search speed?

either way, pretty hopeless...

Posted on 13/12/2022 10:03

I agree it’s not very good, although I am undecided if it’s got worse in this update.

below an example from near us. First photo the new booking system, second Google maps, third OS 25,000. Tracks and some yellow roads are missing from the new booking system, although most are there on the standard Google maps.

young thomas replied on 13/12/2022 11:40

Posted on 13/12/2022 10:03 by SteveL

I agree it’s not very good, although I am undecided if it’s got worse in this update.

below an example from near us. First photo the new booking system, second Google maps, third OS 25,000. Tracks and some yellow roads are missing from the new booking system, although most are there on the standard Google maps.

Posted on 13/12/2022 11:40

Yes, I wouldn't expect it to show everything that's on an OS map but if it's 'based on google maps' (the link to google has been cited as one of the issues in the town search) then I would expect the maps to be a mirror other than the addition of the site/CL locations?

anyone coming to a CL location in our town (there aren't any..) would be stuck. No minor roads shown at all.

just looked at Bristol and the location of Baltic Wharf is in a blank blob of space with the nearest road being at Hotwells.

yes, folk can use site directions, if they can find them, along with the real google maps, but the point of a POI on a Club map is that the viewer can see the exact location and how to get there.

peedee replied on 13/12/2022 13:02

Posted on 13/12/2022 13:02

I think I posted earlier in this thread that the Club's mapping did not match Google Maps so in my view nothing much has changed. Incidently when I do a location search all I put in is the first three letters and usually what I am looking for comes up top of the list. No UK necessary.. Just tried it with Bat!

peedee

brue replied on 13/12/2022 13:55

Posted on 13/12/2022 13:55

πŸ™ƒ Oh what fun this is Peedee. I tried first three letters for Crewkerne and got Crewe, Chester UK. πŸ™‚

wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook