New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/11/2022 13:37

Posted on 15/11/2022 13:14 by peedee

They have got their own very good booking system but only about 10 percent of CL owners pay to use it so clearly the majority are not overly bothered about having a good search and booking system. One owner I spoke to about it said it wasn't worth his while to use it!

peedee

Posted on 15/11/2022 13:37

Let’s make it clear the fees those CLs pay to use that particular booking system do not go to the club. It’s a totally separate private enterprise.

brue replied on 15/11/2022 14:12

Posted on 15/11/2022 14:12

The CL owners pay just over £12 pm for a very professional and easy to use private booking site. We've used it as it lets you know availability etc. I think about 14000 people have signed up to use it! It's an example of how to make things work for both owners and customers.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/11/2022 15:17

Posted on 15/11/2022 14:12 by brue

The CL owners pay just over £12 pm for a very professional and easy to use private booking site. We've used it as it lets you know availability etc. I think about 14000 people have signed up to use it! It's an example of how to make things work for both owners and customers.

Posted on 15/11/2022 15:17

My point was to ensure no one got the impression that the fees go to CAMC. 

peedee replied on 15/11/2022 15:34

Posted on 15/11/2022 14:12 by brue

Posted on 15/11/2022 15:34

If more used it cost should come down?

peedee

BonniePennyPitstop replied on 15/11/2022 16:34

Posted on 15/11/2022 16:34

It still seems to be a mess. Since the 'update', we've been away three times and arranged a longer trip for next year. Not one was booked through this site.

Not that I didn't try but the delays, the crashes, the sheer unintuitive nature of the current system, not to mention its poor accessibility on mobile, and the occasions it was completely down, meant we gave up every time.

It seems a tad ironic that in attempting to address a 70% occupancy rate (as someone said earlier when complaining 30% of people hadn't turned up) they have created a system so unworkable that I imagine occupancy rates will fall even further. It only takes 21 days for people to adopt new habits. This website has now been unworkable for longer than that. It has gone from being the first place I look to book sites, to the last. I doubt I'm the only one. 

Hja replied on 15/11/2022 17:29

Posted on 15/11/2022 17:29

One of the benefits for the Club of having the CLs is that it allows them to advertise member access to "our entire campsites network, including thousands of privately owned 5-van campsites". 

If the Club were to ditch the certification of CLs I definitely wouldnt be a member.  The only Club product we now use is Mayday, and I am sure we could find an equivalent deal elsewhere. It simply wouldnt be worth our while for the very occasional club site we use.  However, I would have thought that the CL network brought more to the Club overall, however you calculate it, so I think it unlikely the Club would ditch the system.

nelliethehooker replied on 15/11/2022 20:35

Posted on 15/11/2022 20:35

Sorry to see some are still not finding the site easy to navigate or complete with confidence. Clicking that final check out box can be a marathon!

Brue, I tried to look at the cost of a couple of club sites this afternoon on my kindle, and the whole of the booking page was jumping all over the place. It took me about 20 mins, after closing and the reopening the web site a few times before I was able to find out the only I was seeking for the two sites but gave up after that as I have more important things to do than swear incessantly at this terrible excuse for a booking web site. There is no way I was going to attempt to view CLs using the filters supplied. 

nelliethehooker replied on 15/11/2022 20:39

Posted on 15/11/2022 11:59 by peedee

Once you have brought up the site details for which you are interested in, click on "Check availabilty" and enter your party details and the prices of the party will be displayed on the calendar for each day if their are vacancies for the dates. Select any month of interest and the price will be similarly shown. They dynamically change as you alter the months.

peedee

Posted on 15/11/2022 20:39

But one cannot easi!y compare prices across the board, which one could easily do previously. Yet another retrograde step!

DavidKlyne replied on 15/11/2022 20:41

Posted on 15/11/2022 17:29 by Hja

One of the benefits for the Club of having the CLs is that it allows them to advertise member access to "our entire campsites network, including thousands of privately owned 5-van campsites". 

If the Club were to ditch the certification of CLs I definitely wouldnt be a member.  The only Club product we now use is Mayday, and I am sure we could find an equivalent deal elsewhere. It simply wouldnt be worth our while for the very occasional club site we use.  However, I would have thought that the CL network brought more to the Club overall, however you calculate it, so I think it unlikely the Club would ditch the system.

Posted on 15/11/2022 20:41

I can't imagine the Club would ever want to "ditch" CL's from its portfolio of sites as its such a part of the Club's DNA. I think one of the problems moving forward will be how members will want to access CL information and bookings. I wonder if the Club ever considered separating out the CL's from the main Club sites as option when putting in the new website? The independent CLBooking App or something like it is probably the way to go but you will have to have more than 10% of CL owners willing to use it and clearly some don't want that. How many CL owners would give up or move elsewhere is something we don't know. I seem to recall that at the 2021 AGM the Club said they were looking at how they could bring CL bookings the system but I suspect that is riddled with difficulties and it could be a hard sell. I have not been a great users of CL's in the past but those I have used have been attached to other businesses where online booking would be an easy option but that is clearly not universal.

David 

SteveL replied on 15/11/2022 22:45

Posted on 15/11/2022 20:39 by nelliethehooker

But one cannot easi!y compare prices across the board, which one could easily do previously. Yet another retrograde step!

Posted on 15/11/2022 22:45

Personally I think that aspect is better than before nellie. It gives you the exact cost per night for your party and chosen pitch type. Previously you had to add the component parts together to achieve it. Re the Kindle, they clearly haven't tested it on some devices and unfortunately there is no mention of that side of things in the fixes list.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook