New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

InaD replied on 02/11/2022 15:10

Posted on 02/11/2022 13:12 by Arch

I think you'll find even if you have paid in advance you will still have to check in before entering the site so will still have to wait in the queue.

Posted on 02/11/2022 15:10

That occurred to me as well, or how will the wardens know who has arrived?  Of course there is an alternative, which I think has been mentioned at some point in the past, and that is ANPR at the entrance.  But even then, at some point you'd have to go to the office (only on sites with full facilities of course) to get the key to the facility blocks.  But again, that could be solved by having keypads on doors, so in that scenario you could drive onto site, ANPR would recognise car/MH, go to pick pitch, then just ring wardens with pitch number, and then be given the keycode for toletblock.

I'm not an IT person at all, but would it even be possible to have an app which displays the site with pitch numbers?  So new arrivals would be able to just use the app, log in, then click on their pitch number, et voila, that info is then available to wardens on the system.  You'd then be sent an sms with keypad number for toiletblock.  So no need at all to go into office at any time, and no need to remember to drop off key for toiletblock when leaving.

Perhaps pie in the sky and a bit of wishful thinking on my part, given the problems with the new booking system, but nevertheless a serious question.

peedee replied on 02/11/2022 15:30

Posted on 02/11/2022 15:30

Are they not trying ANPR at Clachan? Perhaps an easier way of registering which pitch you are on is via the site WiF or simply phone the reception?

peedee

cheesephil1 replied on 02/11/2022 15:38

Posted on 02/11/2022 15:38

Content has been removed.

Fastnet replied on 02/11/2022 15:39

Posted on 02/11/2022 15:39

Anyone read the article by Nick Lomas on page 9 of the November 2022 edition of the Club magazine?

This - ‘..so I do appreciate your patience while we got everything working as it should be. ‘ made me laugh. ( My italics )

Why he is still in post is beyond me.

peedee replied on 02/11/2022 15:49

Posted on 02/11/2022 15:49

Claachan, from the site details:

Great news, from 24 August 2022 at Clachan Club Campsite to enhance the efficiency of your arrival we’re trialling new number plate recognition technology during check-in. When you arrive onsite the barrier will automatically open and you’ll be checked-in, meaning you can start your holiday sooner! Our site staff will call you ahead of your arrival to take payment in full for your stay and check your vehicle registration is up to date. To find out more please visit our frequently asked questions.

Click >here< for further infomation. Pity they did not do this at Marazion.

peedee

young thomas replied on 02/11/2022 16:05

Posted on 02/11/2022 15:10 by InaD

That occurred to me as well, or how will the wardens know who has arrived?  Of course there is an alternative, which I think has been mentioned at some point in the past, and that is ANPR at the entrance.  But even then, at some point you'd have to go to the office (only on sites with full facilities of course) to get the key to the facility blocks.  But again, that could be solved by having keypads on doors, so in that scenario you could drive onto site, ANPR would recognise car/MH, go to pick pitch, then just ring wardens with pitch number, and then be given the keycode for toletblock.

I'm not an IT person at all, but would it even be possible to have an app which displays the site with pitch numbers?  So new arrivals would be able to just use the app, log in, then click on their pitch number, et voila, that info is then available to wardens on the system.  You'd then be sent an sms with keypad number for toiletblock.  So no need at all to go into office at any time, and no need to remember to drop off key for toiletblock when leaving.

Perhaps pie in the sky and a bit of wishful thinking on my part, given the problems with the new booking system, but nevertheless a serious question.

Posted on 02/11/2022 16:05

Ina, while it seems a mile away from the what the club normally achieve, I can assure you that this sort of modern technology is being used at sites and Aires all over the uk and Europe.

two UK sites we've used in the past have had ANPR.

having said that, both those had pre booked pitch numbers so all we had to do (the ANPR actually did it) was 'register arrival'.

with the club not having pre selected pitches, it's still relatively easy to let the office know where you've pitched...after all, the patent for the telephone was submitted in 1876!

the club have got themselves into a right pickle here with an overly complex 'system' based on a set of very complex 'rules'. Given their lack of competence with even simple IT changes, this was always going to be 'difficult'.

staying well away from this pig's breakfast.

Hja replied on 02/11/2022 16:40

Posted on 02/11/2022 16:05 by young thomas

Ina, while it seems a mile away from the what the club normally achieve, I can assure you that this sort of modern technology is being used at sites and Aires all over the uk and Europe.

two UK sites we've used in the past have had ANPR.

having said that, both those had pre booked pitch numbers so all we had to do (the ANPR actually did it) was 'register arrival'.

with the club not having pre selected pitches, it's still relatively easy to let the office know where you've pitched...after all, the patent for the telephone was submitted in 1876!

the club have got themselves into a right pickle here with an overly complex 'system' based on a set of very complex 'rules'. Given their lack of competence with even simple IT changes, this was always going to be 'difficult'.

staying well away from this pig's breakfast.

Posted on 02/11/2022 16:40

Only one problem with phoning site office, is will they answer? Seem to be quite a few comments on here where people have tried to phone site for various reasons for there to be no answer or maybe an answerphone. Latter is fine if all you need to do is give a pitch number but not if you need a code.

JVB66 replied on 02/11/2022 17:00

Posted on 02/11/2022 16:40 by Hja

Only one problem with phoning site office, is will they answer? Seem to be quite a few comments on here where people have tried to phone site for various reasons for there to be no answer or maybe an answerphone. Latter is fine if all you need to do is give a pitch number but not if you need a code.

Posted on 02/11/2022 17:00

When I needed to amend a booking last week I had to ring the club (Glasgow lady answered) when she was checking my booking not only was my mobile number missing odd the booking but the registration number was not the correct one undecided

anpr?for site access surprised

Graydjames replied on 02/11/2022 17:08

Posted on 02/11/2022 13:12 by Arch

I think you'll find even if you have paid in advance you will still have to check in before entering the site so will still have to wait in the queue.

Posted on 02/11/2022 17:08

Of course, you still have to check in. I paid all my sites in advance on a Scotland trip ended last week, but you still have to book in, and I never imagined that would not be so. Most sites have barriers to get through apart from anything else.

I don't think paying in advance speeds up the booking in process by very much. It only takes a minute or so to pay. 

ANPR is the answer as mentioned by others and in another recent thread. That would be good. 

young thomas replied on 02/11/2022 17:36

Posted on 02/11/2022 16:40 by Hja

Posted on 02/11/2022 17:36

Can't the code be sent via the confirmation email/text?...or even an additional automatic email/text sent for each booking on arrival day to allow for changes to code.

either way, these things shouldn't present insurmountable problems...the club need hauling into the 21st century....20 odd years late, perhaps😉

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook