New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

DavidKlyne replied on 02/11/2022 09:56

Posted on 02/11/2022 09:07 by JVB66

It is definitely not fair and I would. Class it as almost as a sharp practice for a "members club?" T&Cs or not

Posted on 02/11/2022 09:56

JVB

My argument is that if you have no choice but to lose money it is better to lose £8 rather than a much higher figure?

However I do tend to agree with you that it is a rule which seems difficult to justify because if you actually maintain the number of days but just on different dates the Club has not lost out but the member has  and we should probably hold the Club to account on this, although that seems very difficult to do! I don't know if there is any room for appeal if someone finds themselves in the position of needing to change because a medical appointment has come up which was unknown at the time of booking. There is the risk that if the Club removed that loss for changing dates they could introduce an amendment charge as they do for ferry crossings which might be more that the deposit element. It does seem to becoming clear that the Club is no longer, if it ever was, accountable to its members.

David

Hja replied on 02/11/2022 10:04

Posted on 01/11/2022 20:39 by davetommo

I booked 2 sites in Scotland for last week on the phone. Paid the deposit and told them I would pay the rest on arrival. When I got to each site I was told that the money had been taken out of my account. At the end of the day the 2 payments were unauthorised. Could this be classed as theft.

Posted on 02/11/2022 10:04

I find this really concerning. There have been other reports  of members’ payment wishes being ignored. There can be many reasons why someone might want to pay on arrival. They may wish to pay in cash, as clearly some do. They may wish to use a different account to the one they paid the deposit from. I believe if you have site vouchers you wish to use you need to pay on arrival. But whatever, the choice is there, the member exercises it and it should happen.

I do hope that those members for whom this has happened will report it formally to the club, perhaps through the feedback form within the My Booking Experience section of the site.

peedee replied on 02/11/2022 10:04

One assumes charges for changes are levid to discourage the practice and the possibility that at short notice the vacated pitch as a result of the change might not be re-let. If there were no charges it is conceivable that the process could be used to make speculative bookings. which the Club is trying to discourage.

peedee

SteveL replied on 02/11/2022 10:04

Posted on 02/11/2022 09:56 by DavidKlyne

JVB

My argument is that if you have no choice but to lose money it is better to lose £8 rather than a much higher figure?

However I do tend to agree with you that it is a rule which seems difficult to justify because if you actually maintain the number of days but just on different dates the Club has not lost out but the member has  and we should probably hold the Club to account on this, although that seems very difficult to do! I don't know if there is any room for appeal if someone finds themselves in the position of needing to change because a medical appointment has come up which was unknown at the time of booking. There is the risk that if the Club removed that loss for changing dates they could introduce an amendment charge as they do for ferry crossings which might be more that the deposit element. It does seem to becoming clear that the Club is no longer, if it ever was, accountable to its members.

David

Whilst not agreeing with, I can see the logic in loosing some deposit for reducing the length of a stay. However, I don’t see why reducing the number of guests should result in a similar loss. The same pitch is in use, said guests will not be using the facilities. It really is penny pinching in the extreme.

It is also going to have the affect of folk only booking the lead member if they are not sure and that is bound to result in delays checking in, while things are sorted out and the correct payment calculated.

JVB66 replied on 02/11/2022 10:09

JVB

David

Posted on 02/11/2022 10:09

The amendment charge that is applied to Ferry bookings will be out of the control of the"club" I would think , hence another downside of trying and still failing to justify the introduction of a continental booking system by" bolting it"  to a fully controllable UK system as was 

brue replied on 02/11/2022 10:22

JVB

David

Posted on 02/11/2022 10:22

There might be a loss to the club if dates are changed to include cheaper dates?

brue replied on 02/11/2022 10:25

Posted on 02/11/2022 10:25

By the way I'm playing devil's advocate, so little was presented before the change over that it's going to take time to understand (in agreement or not) what exactly is on the cards regarding bookings.

Graydjames replied on 02/11/2022 10:28

Posted on 02/11/2022 09:52 by SteveL

I was just going on how I read the terms and conditions and the information detailed below which was included on my confirmation of booking. It seems fairly clear cut unless they exercise discretion.

Amending or cancelling
Remember to Book Smart! We know plans sometimes have to change and that's ok. Just let us know as early as possible if you can't take up your pitch so it can be made available to fellow members. Unless otherwise advised, your deposit is fully refundable if you amend your booking or cancel your booking more than 21 days before your booked arrival date.
You will lose the deposit paid for amendments and all cancellations made within 21 days of your booked arrival date (for example if you cancel a night or multiple nights of your stay, or if you reduce the number of guests on the booking within 21 days of your booked arrival date you will lose a part or all of the deposit paid).
You can view your booking, and easily amend or cancel online if necessary at camc.com/my-bookings We hope you enjoy your holiday with us and we look forward to seeing you.

Posted on 02/11/2022 10:28

Thank you SteveL. I should have read it all myself; I was being lazy.

I should be clear that I am very much in favour of deposits. I am relaxed about losing them if I cancel within 21 days – whatever the reason. People will have very differing ideas about what constitutes an excuse for which they feel it is morally right that their deposit is refunded. Moreover, as soon as you relax the criteria it will be abused. That is probably the only certainty. Rather than being made to feel guilty for cancelling late as I have had to do, I would actually sooner forego the deposit.

However, I did feel uncomfortable about a scenario where I book, let’s say for five nights from Saturday to Wednesday, pay my deposit, then move the booking to Sunday to Thursday, but less than 21 days before the booking starts, and have to lose some of my deposit as a result (other than any part relating to a price difference). That didn't feel right to me at first.

But on reflection, and being my own Devil's advocate, I suppose the club will say that the rules must apply to all amendments whatever the exact circumstances. That is the implication of the rule you quote. What is the difference between my scenario and moving the five nights to a completely different set of dates. If you, as it were, "tax" one you must "tax" the other. I think that's what we have to appreciate. If you shift an entire booking to a different set of dates, the risk of revenue loss to the club is much greater. I still feel a tad uncomfortable though, even then.  

JVB66 replied on 02/11/2022 10:28

Posted on 02/11/2022 10:04 by SteveL

Whilst not agreeing with, I can see the logic in loosing some deposit for reducing the length of a stay. However, I don’t see why reducing the number of guests should result in a similar loss. The same pitch is in use, said guests will not be using the facilities. It really is penny pinching in the extreme.

It is also going to have the affect of folk only booking the lead member if they are not sure and that is bound to result in delays checking in, while things are sorted out and the correct payment calculated.

Posted on 02/11/2022 10:28

It is what when older members?( Pensioners) look at what is likely to be a hit in the pocket will be as advised to me only book the lead member (if needing to book?) and adjust the booking on arrival.  ,as is common knowledge doctors and hospital appointment are quite often at short notice and it will also reduce the "fine" that will now be levied if you need to cancel or amend a booking 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook