New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

SteveL replied on 27/10/2022 13:24

Posted on 27/10/2022 12:41 by eurortraveller

Cobra, I am surprised at what you say about commercial sites refunding deposits. Ones I know charge deposits of £30and £50 each - and don’t refund at all for cancellations - not ever, 

Posted on 27/10/2022 13:24

Morris Leisure do not refund, but do let you use it for another booking within a year, at any of their sites. It’s £10 a night, so a bit more than the CC. However, it’s cancelable up to 48 hours before. A few years ago OH ended up in hospital and I had to cancel 3 days before. The deposit was held on file and we used it at a different site 10 months later.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/10/2022 13:40

Posted on 27/10/2022 13:40

Much as I don’t like the introduction of deposits for CAMC sites, the terms are actually far more lenient than many holiday providers. A lot want full payment 4, 6 or even 10 weeks in advance with far more stringent cancellation penalties than 21 days and only lose the deposit.

As an example, the shot below is from the terms of the company the club uses to handle the lettings of its holiday cottages at the likes of Meathrop Fell, Hawes and so on. No discount for club members either.

brue replied on 27/10/2022 15:04

Posted on 27/10/2022 11:44 by SteveL

There is nothing wrong with the formatting of the actual booking page, other than its ability to only display  20 sites. Call up the map zoom in and out and the list of sites changes to suit. Click on the site on the list or on the map to get more details and check availability / book or details of CL.

What are missing are all the belts and whistles of an efficient search and filtering routine, plus of course  inaccuracies in information supplied, links to leaving a review and directions.

Oh, the whole point of the thread is to pass on details to others. If  more folk gave information on  what devices, browsers and operating systems they are using, we might get a better picture of why they are having problems.

Posted on 27/10/2022 15:04

Steve, we have to disagree here. No matter what device you are using if there are missing and malfunctioning parts on the booking site no-one will gain the appropriate access  I haven't even bothered with maps since the release so can't comment on searching via this method. Visibility is key especially on smaller devices, too much information is being squeezed onto small screens which many use when out and about.

My devices are all new with the latest upgrades. I don't use the CAMC app just the web site. Perhaps it was never the intention to launch a fully functioning booking site but we could have been informed about this and people might have been more tolerant as upgrades followed.

By the way British Gas have just launched a new customer site, it's pretty bad at the moment but they've input time scales for improvements. Forewarned is forearmed.

I think I'm possibly saying communication is king. smile

DavidKlyne replied on 27/10/2022 15:34

Posted on 27/10/2022 15:34

cobra44 said:- Most commercial sites require either a deposit/and or payment details at time of booking BUT usually have much more flexible penalty free cancellation periods often up to 24 hours before arrival.

We have used five (although only actually stayed at four)  commercial sites this year and none of them had anywhere near as generous T&C's as you suggest. All wanted a deposit, and then full payment several weeks before arrival. Once they have your money my experience has been they don't want to give it back to you under any circumstances or even show any flexibility in moving to a different time as we found out to our cost on one of the sites and lost the full fee of £175. At least with the Club I would have only lost the deposit of £35! I fully appreciate that what the Club are now doing is very much removed from the previous system and many of us liked the old way of doing things but we have to accept that it has now all changed. Whilst we might think that the Club have put in place some very harsh T&C's they do actually compare fairly generously with the generality of commercial operators. All this has caused a furore because I suspect there are many members of the Club that don't ever use anything other than CMC sites so perhaps have not experienced the conditions demanded by many non Club sites.

David

Blackmagic replied on 27/10/2022 15:39

Posted on 27/10/2022 15:39

New booking system is SO cumbersome. Just cannot understand the reasoning behind this change. the previous one worked perfectly and was much easier to use.

cobra44 replied on 27/10/2022 15:39

Posted on 27/10/2022 13:24 by SteveL

Morris Leisure do not refund, but do let you use it for another booking within a year, at any of their sites. It’s £10 a night, so a bit more than the CC. However, it’s cancelable up to 48 hours before. A few years ago OH ended up in hospital and I had to cancel 3 days before. The deposit was held on file and we used it at a different site 10 months later.

Posted on 27/10/2022 15:39

Sounds a much more reasonable approach. Googling refunds on Caravan sites produces a variety of policies. Interestingly the C&CC have an even more punitive approach - 30 days. I don't use commercial sites very much but the ones I have used much more customer friendly policies - most booked through Pitchup.  Important though is that these commercial sites are NOT providing benefits to a membership and so when their conditions are better than CMHC its time for the club to pay attention.

GTP replied on 27/10/2022 15:52

Posted on 27/10/2022 11:14 by SteveL

Can't agree altogether with that Steve.....I use an iMac 27" 5K top of the rage pro      CT & web site is like watching paint dry.

My experience is somewhat different. For the first time yesterday I tried it on our iMac  (24 inch with an M1 Chip and 8 GB of memory, running Monterey 12.6 and using safari browser) It ran very, well indeed. Extremely fast, map very fluid, zooming in and out and moving around the country, even when asked to display CL’s as well. OK the searches / filters still don’t work, but otherwise it was a pleasure to use. CT isn’t a lot different to on my other devices, but then that is always slow.

What browser are you using?

Posted on 27/10/2022 15:52

To clarify..yes some of the web site access is pretty fast..but others not so....and I have noticed at different times of the day... For example I have just looked at booking a site in the oversea travel section. Began the search and found the area I wanted....pretty fast then slow when selecting the actual site and took longer to load... even longer to get the quote. As you say, filters and searches are a problem...but that is exactly what I used and what I mainly use ....to search, sometimes with a filter..

fyi...Browser is Safari and just updated OS to the new Ventura..

Midge57 replied on 27/10/2022 15:53

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31 by Rowena

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

Posted on 27/10/2022 15:53

Is there an update on when the booking system will be fixed please?

I have just tried to book a site using my tablet as I always do but its just not having it.  It won't let me progress without  putting in my DOB but it won't let me key it in and I have an option of clicking back monthly for 65 years!!!!  That's ridiculous.

It's also asking for core information which has been the same for several years. What have you done with this info?

I'm all for change but not when it provides a worse experience or indeed an inability to proceed at all.

My husband worked for a blue chip company and they would never have permitted a failed system change to roll on for days never mind for over a month. I suggest if it doesn't work, our club should reverse the change and demand our money back from the IT busi mess who have failed us.

cobra44 replied on 27/10/2022 16:09

Posted on 27/10/2022 13:24 by SteveL

Posted on 27/10/2022 16:09

Interestingly the £10 a night deposit charged by Morris is not necessarily going to be more than the Club. I have just booked a 9 night trip involving stays on 4 sites. Because there is a minimum deposit of £25 per site booking the deposit required was £100. 9 nights on Morris sites would have been £90.  If it had involved 5 sites over the 9 nights then the deposit would have £125 - £35 more than Morris. So booking short stays in advance are going to involve much larger deposits. On the other hand  if the nine nights had been on one site then 20% would have been demanded as a deposit - i.e. £40 only. Serious re-think required.

SteveL replied on 27/10/2022 16:12

Posted on 27/10/2022 15:04 by brue

Steve, we have to disagree here. No matter what device you are using if there are missing and malfunctioning parts on the booking site no-one will gain the appropriate access  I haven't even bothered with maps since the release so can't comment on searching via this method. Visibility is key especially on smaller devices, too much information is being squeezed onto small screens which many use when out and about.

My devices are all new with the latest upgrades. I don't use the CAMC app just the web site. Perhaps it was never the intention to launch a fully functioning booking site but we could have been informed about this and people might have been more tolerant as upgrades followed.

By the way British Gas have just launched a new customer site, it's pretty bad at the moment but they've input time scales for improvements. Forewarned is forearmed.

I think I'm possibly saying communication is king. smile

Posted on 27/10/2022 16:12

I haven't even bothered with maps since the release so can't comment on searching via this method. Visibility is key especially on smaller devices, too much information is being squeezed onto small screens which many use when out and about.

Small devices are never easy, especially when your fingers are large, like mine and there are a couple of buttons that need reducing in size, or the ability to hide. However, you really ought to try the map as a search tool. Particularly on the small screen of the phone it works well. Zoom in on the area that interests you and just touch on the site or CL to bring it up. Until they get a workable search sorted it’s the way to go. Personally I think it will be a considerable time, if ever before that happens and I have never trusted the filters in any case. Even on the old site they often didn’t work properly.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook