Cost of C & MC sites

NutsyH replied on 27/08/2021 11:05

Posted on 27/08/2021 11:05

I chose to book this in the full knowledge that it is expensive, no regrets but worth putting on here anyway.

We tend to use sites in South Dorset in April, while beaches (Sandbanks, Bournemouth etc) are still open for dogs ( I know, I know)

Whilst in the New Forest last week we called at the Centennial site, liked what we saw so booked on line. 12 nights, April 2022 so off season. Full service pitch, 2 adults, 1 dog; 12 nights. £44.36 per night - ouch.

We usually use a commercial site at Lytchett Minster, which for full service, hardstanding, including streamable wifi - £30 per night (April 2020). Other facilities are on a par with CMC sites, except for the dog walk which is a whole field. A non returnable deposit of £50 is required here, but last year we were able to move the booking from April to October  (Covid) at no extra cost.

We wanted a change of scenery so decided to pay the CMC rate, and the location is better than Lytchett, with easy access to the New Forest. Now it could be that Lytchett's prices for next year will be hiked - I don't know.

Not complaining, just dispelling any remaining myths that CMC sites are cheaper for members than comparable commercial sites. Pays your money & takes your choice.

Paul

peedee replied on 27/08/2021 11:35

Posted on 27/08/2021 11:35

Ouch indeed. I stayed there in April it is a nice well ketp site but for a real flavour of the New Forest, I prefer the more natural sites operated by Camping in the Forest. Even they are not particularly cheap for what they offer.

peedee

young thomas replied on 27/08/2021 11:47

Posted on 27/08/2021 11:47

There are many CLs close to New Forest, we've stayed at several recently, all under £18.

weve also stayed at a couple of THS sites close to the forest at around £12 a night.

Lychett Manor is better suited to easy access for Poole etc, even by bike.

check out peak service pitch prices at Hillhead and you can add another £8 odd a night....almost another £100 for your 12 days.....OUCH!!

Cornersteady replied on 27/08/2021 12:16

Posted on 27/08/2021 12:16

I certainly have never said that club sites are cheaper and I'm not sure anyone has?

Just that they are middle of the road, for most club site there will be a cheaper option and a more expensive option. Quality is a very subjective thing. As you say one chooses what is best. 

For example Concierge Camping (recommended by BB I recall) is £85 a night in September (BIG OUCH) for their best pitch and about £50 to £70 for a comparable club pitch.

But as said pay your money...

vbfg replied on 27/08/2021 12:50

Posted on 27/08/2021 12:50

It really depends on how many are in your party, how many dogs you may have, do you want to put up an awning, etc.  I am a single tourer with up until recently 2 dogs (now 1) so for me, the CMHC or the CCC are nearly always far cheaper than commercial sites or even CLs.  As we know, some commercial sites charge extra for children, dogs, awnings, etc which may add quite a bit to the cost per night on the other hand they may just charge per pitch, per night all in!

JVB66 replied on 27/08/2021 13:05

Posted on 27/08/2021 13:05

Expensive? The service pitches are already showing full for Easter 2022

As posted else where,  depends what other type of holidays you have been used to ,when at Ferry Meadows in May four hired motorcaravans were near us and were saying how cheap it was to stay on sites,  they were non members so were paying over forty pounds per night on a standard white peg pitch

replied on 27/08/2021 13:12

Posted on 27/08/2021 13:05 by JVB66

Expensive? The service pitches are already showing full for Easter 2022

As posted else where,  depends what other type of holidays you have been used to ,when at Ferry Meadows in May four hired motorcaravans were near us and were saying how cheap it was to stay on sites,  they were non members so were paying over forty pounds per night on a standard white peg pitch

Posted on 27/08/2021 13:12

I expected that the main rental firms had a deal with the CMC sites

JVB66 replied on 27/08/2021 13:14

Posted on 27/08/2021 13:12 by

I expected that the main rental firms had a deal with the CMC sites

Posted on 27/08/2021 13:14

The one that the club seem to have an arrangement with,  not sure about any others

SeasideBill replied on 27/08/2021 13:28

Posted on 27/08/2021 13:28

South Lytchett is a fine site although not the New Forest, so location wise the comparison is apple & pears. Maybe the New Forest is the premium factor?  However, Lytchett is a great location for visiting South Dorset and Purbeck and much better vfm even for a CMC member as far as I’m concerned.

DavidKlyne replied on 27/08/2021 16:16

Posted on 27/08/2021 16:16

We have been to both sites mentioned. I think I would be more inclined to return to South Lytchett Manor than the Club's Centenary Site. I think the Club site is fine if you have a car or are fit enough to walk fair distances but personally, from a motorhome perspective the Centenary site is a bit remote, would prefer Black Knowl because of it being a bit nearer to Brockenhurst. My next door neighbour seems to love the Centenary site and will be there again this weekend. As far as costs are concerned if the site is where you want to be does it really matter that much?

David

JVB66 replied on 27/08/2021 16:27

Posted on 27/08/2021 16:16 by DavidKlyne

We have been to both sites mentioned. I think I would be more inclined to return to South Lytchett Manor than the Club's Centenary Site. I think the Club site is fine if you have a car or are fit enough to walk fair distances but personally, from a motorhome perspective the Centenary site is a bit remote, would prefer Black Knowl because of it being a bit nearer to Brockenhurst. My next door neighbour seems to love the Centenary site and will be there again this weekend. As far as costs are concerned if the site is where you want to be does it really matter that much?

David

Posted on 27/08/2021 16:27

It is very obvious. when looking at the type of LVs ;on the more "remote?" club sites the very reason you have just postedsurprised

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook