Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

Wherenext replied on 13/07/2024 17:39

Posted on 13/07/2024 17:39

GE and GJE wrote - The alternatives are to use members money to support these sites, which are visited by so few, and take money away from the network refurbishment budget.

My membership fee is being used to support refurbishment of sites that I have no intention of using but as a member I accept that. The same reason I accept my fee being used to upkeep children play areas and dog bins and some shower blocks.

Quite a few of us are finding that club sites just aren't for us and will only use them when there is no reasonable alternative yet our fees will now be channelled into sites that we'll get minimal return on. We remain members for various reasons outwith the actual sites. Like Ttda we would often use these sites even in preference to CLs if we were in the area. Gwen-y-Bwlch was a favourite in Spring.

As LLM states, the CAMC are not being fully inclusive at all. They have, to use a phrase recently bandied around, "managed decline" these sites out of use by getting rid of their USP. The fact that they've closed so many in one fell swoop tells you everything.

K Brown replied on 13/07/2024 18:29

Posted on 13/07/2024 18:29

Given the amount of rain that we have had in Northumberland this year (it’s raining again now), I would expect a number of pitches at Nunnykirk to have been out of use for some time. It’s a lovely place when the weather is dry, but the reality is that most members want a hard standing, to avoid being stuck on wet grass. Not having a toilet block does not seem to be a major issue, but location and ease of use in our unpredictable weather, will probably reduce the attraction of the more remote sites.

In an ideal world the sites such as Nunnykirk would be cross subsided by the more profitable and popular sites. However, we are now in a more commercial environment, whether we like it or not. 

nelliethehooker replied on 13/07/2024 21:21

Posted on 13/07/2024 21:21

I would suggest that one of the reasons for the decline in use of those specific sites was the larger hike in pitch prices compared to the "full facility" sites, and the loss of an all season round price.

Robeno replied on 13/07/2024 21:54

Posted on 13/07/2024 21:54

Broomfield Farm closure.

What a sad day for this once great club. I have been a member of the club for 31 years and a seasonal pitch holder at Broomfield Farm for over 18 years ,that is thousands of pounds in the clubs coffers . I also pull my caravan off in the height of the summer and spend more money with the caravan club on overseas sites and ferry,s ,5C breakdown and caravan insurance.

We had our 40th year celebration party today on site to celebrate the site being open for 40 years organised by the people that matter,the wardens,volunteers and club members.

The site will probably finish the season in the black despite the club deliberately shortening the season for closure in September ,which has discouraged seasonal occupation and justified the closure .

The Club is now being run by accountants who’s only interests is an increase bottom line, and corporate branding, this is the Caravan and Motorhome Club not the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.

A very sad day for me ...That me done...I’m out I will spend my money elsewhere .

Takethedogalong replied on 13/07/2024 23:51

Posted on 13/07/2024 23:51

I’m sure there will be some who don’t understand your tennis reference Robeno, but I do, and find myself in agreement. It’s been a rather sad three years or so, one way and another. Good for you all at the site to have your celebration, all you can do is treasure the friends made, the memories and enjoyment you have had. All the best.👍

SteveL replied on 14/07/2024 07:27

Posted on 14/07/2024 07:27

and a seasonal pitch holder at Broomfield Farm for over 18 years ,that is thousands of pounds in the clubs coffers .

When we had a seasonal pitch at a full facility site in 2018 it would have worked out at £6 a night if we had stayed all possible. Even using it as we did the cost was only £12.50.  The full cost at the time varied between £30 and £22. You might have spent thousands, but personally I can’t see how the club make any money out of them. They are generally only available at the less popular sites and are presumably a way of selling pitches that wouldn’t be sold in the normal fashion, hopefully at a break even cost. I’m afraid as with many things, most of the non facility sites just aren’t profitable anymore and there is no good business reason for them to continue operating.

eurortraveller replied on 14/07/2024 11:03

Posted on 14/07/2024 11:03

There are so many things the Club could have done to attract people to a big site like Broomfield farm - a car/ caravan boot sale, a craft fair, a fun dog show, a vintage car and caravan display and all the rest - but nothing was done to pull visitors in. There are sites where the owners make an effort to boost business  - but not there.

DavidKlyne replied on 14/07/2024 12:16

Posted on 14/07/2024 12:16

Sites like Broomfield Farm create a perfect storm for the Club. First off, its in the middle of nowhere, accessed by a narrow road with no footpath. Therefore it won't be as popular with motorhomes, we are now told they make up half the membership. The price in peak season is just £23  a night for a couple on a hardstanding pitch including electricity so comparable with many CL's, so hardly bad value? If they reduced the price to £15 a night they would have to have a third more customers to break even with the current prices. Despite many of us saying we would be happy to use such sites if there were more of them it looks as if the evidence is against us. I imagine the Club would be happy to break even but draw the line at making a loss?

David

peedee replied on 14/07/2024 13:21

Posted on 14/07/2024 13:21

Despite many of us saying we would be happy to use such sites if there were more of them

All depends where they are . Close to attractions they would be packed out. Contrary to what some might think there are many members who would use non facility sites especially near attractions.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook