Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

Takethedogalong replied on 14/07/2024 19:44

Posted on 14/07/2024 19:44

I envy you where you live😁 Rothbury would be number three on our list of places to live. 

Goldie146 replied on 14/07/2024 20:41

Posted on 14/07/2024 20:41

Reading posts on various Facebook groups, a lot of people seem to book a site and then  ask - is there a pub in walking distance, where is the nearest bus stop, and increasingly - what night do food vans visit. Maybe these closing sites don’t suit them. But for us they would be perfect. I don’t like buses, don’t want to queue up to buy ready made food, nor sit in a pub.

I appreciate we all have different priorities and abilities. And we’re very grateful that our go-to site (Englethwaite Hall) is safe.

eurortraveller replied on 14/07/2024 22:41

Posted on 14/07/2024 22:41

We get quite a number of overseas visitors here in Cornwall - especially those from Germany. They are not simply coastal visitors but are often seen around the moorland too. For the most part they are not Club members  and so club site prices are £15 extra for them. Northumberland will attract them too but a Club price of £36 a night for overseas visitors at a no facilities site like Nunnykirk is simply ridiculous.  I bet they go elsewhere.

SteveL replied on 15/07/2024 07:06

Posted on 14/07/2024 22:41 by eurortraveller

We get quite a number of overseas visitors here in Cornwall - especially those from Germany. They are not simply coastal visitors but are often seen around the moorland too. For the most part they are not Club members  and so club site prices are £15 extra for them. Northumberland will attract them too but a Club price of £36 a night for overseas visitors at a no facilities site like Nunnykirk is simply ridiculous.  I bet they go elsewhere.

Posted on 15/07/2024 07:06

There were a lot staying at both Morvich and Dunnet £49 for a non member couple and a few at Altnaharra. My assumption is that in the most part they have joined. Either way there was no great reluctance to use club sites.

TJThomas replied on 15/07/2024 08:22

Posted on 15/07/2024 08:22

We have stayed at Gwern-y-Bwlch several times as a non facility site with hardstanding amd hook up it is stunning.  It does rain alot there though!! We prefer this type of site so for us it will mean fewer Club stays and more CL's.  The closure of Baltic Wharf and Crystal Palace is also a great loss in key locations with no real alternatives.

Roseh1p replied on 15/07/2024 08:30

Posted on 15/07/2024 08:30

More non-facility sites rather than fewer and an obvious place to search for them when looking for a site might have been the way to keep my membership.

As it is I probably won't renew again as am fed up with paying through the nose  for electricity and facilities I hardly use. I only chose a CAMC site now when I need to book a specific date in advance in a specific area. 

Tammygirl replied on 16/07/2024 19:04

Posted on 12/07/2024 08:17 by Tinwheeler

I’m not aware of C&CC having any similar small non-facility sites. However, they have lost a few franchised sites recently.

Posted on 16/07/2024 19:04

They have Ebury Hill site  and  Slindon both non facilities. I think the reason they don't have many is due them taking tents so its more normal to provide facilities.

Tammygirl replied on 16/07/2024 19:12

Posted on 15/07/2024 07:06 by SteveL

There were a lot staying at both Morvich and Dunnet £49 for a non member couple and a few at Altnaharra. My assumption is that in the most part they have joined. Either way there was no great reluctance to use club sites.

Posted on 16/07/2024 19:12

I would think that it would probably be a one off holiday so they just get on with it and go to places they want to see. As we are known to be Rip off Britain I'm pretty sure they were expecting it anyway. 

The cost of our food is less than overseas so maybe that was a compensation laughing

Cornersteady replied on 16/07/2024 19:44

Posted on 16/07/2024 19:44

There are alway a few foreign, and at least one, motorhome at Melrose whenever I've been there. Often on service pitches too. Usually German or Dutch. I've noticed a few Italian MH on club sites in the lakes and always stop to have a chat.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/07/2024 20:20

Posted on 16/07/2024 20:20

Isn’t there some sort of reciprocal arrangement between CAMC and an overseas organisation which grants free membership to each other's clubs, or am I thinking of C&CC? 🤷🏻‍♂️

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook