Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

DavidKlyne replied on 13/07/2024 11:50

Posted on 13/07/2024 10:16 by JohnM20

This is a very much off the wall idea and I'm not sure how it could be worked but rather than closing these small sites, could the club not instigate a system similar to what the YHA used to do many years ago? And that was as part of your stay you had to carry out a menial task. This could be helping to empty the rubbish bins keep the grounds tidy etc . It would just be for , say, an hour on one day of a stay and would be completely voluntary, no compulsion.

I know that there will be screams of HEALTH AND SAFETY and INSURANCE but in that respect I think the world has gone slightly mad. Where there is a will there is a way. Local councils wouldn't, at one time, allow "the public" to help keep parks etc tidy by litter picking. Now many of them not only applaud the public's involvement but also supply the necessary equipment. I, for one, would be quite happy to give an hour of my time, especially if I was on the site for a few days if it meant that these non-carpark sites could remain open.

Posted on 13/07/2024 11:50

John

In the past some of these types of sites were run by volunteers, Mildenhall springs to mind. That seem to have ended some time ago. As lovely as it was for people to volunteer I am not sure we should impose that sort of responsibility on ordinary Club members even if they are willing. All site wardens I imagine had a wide ranging training to do the job and to keep members staying on site safe. I know people throw their arms in the air at the mention of Health and Safety but it is there for a reason and why we are safer now than we used to be. If these sites can't survive on the relatively low site fees there is clearly not sufficient demand. It is a shame as over the years we have enjoyed several of this type of site. Unfortunately if they can't break even, and I suspect that is the key point from the Club's point of view, there is little justification for keeping them open. There are some no facility sites that do quite well, Stamford and Hebden Bridge spring to mind.

David 

Hja replied on 13/07/2024 12:46

Posted on 13/07/2024 11:28 by Cornersteady

Well that's your view of course not a fact but it is certainly the case NTF that the club are all inclusive, and your use of deep pockets appears to imply club sites are some sort of luxury item that only a few can afford but let me inject some reality here.

A few sites with pools, bars, or close to a city will naturally have higher costs but a for standard site (I've looked at ten sites I've used) with a HS and for a couple comes in about £33-£39 in July and August while off peak from September onwards it's £30 - £35. I always think of Ferry meadows as a 'standard' site and that tops at £33 in peak at the moment. One of my favorite sites Garlieston where we stayed last August is £33 peak but drops to £24 (which some CLs go to I believe) off peak. So really deep pockets - really in my view no.

And of course what people mean is they'd rather spend the money somewhere else and not that they really can't afford club sites or need deep pockets. As I've posted if someone has an outfit already with all the extra money needed for insurance, MOTs, fuel... well you know the rest.

They may well indeed be more pleasant to stay on for you but the facts are very few find that and hence the reason given for closure. If they popular and paid their way they wouldn't be.

Some people join the club to use CLs - win these closures won't bother them?

Others join to use club sites, I can't get my head around if they then find they then need deep pockets, (actually why didn't they check before joining?) why do they stay members of the club? The re-rejoining rate is the highest ever and after all there are are cheaper and better sites out there? Membership of the club is not something that people have to do. But once joined anyone can access the services and club sites inclusively. 

Posted on 13/07/2024 12:46

£30 £35 a night too much for me. The no facility sites suite me fine.

GEandGJE replied on 13/07/2024 12:49

Posted on 13/07/2024 12:49

I think it is good financial practice by the club to continuously monitor the profitability of each site and to sadly close those that are unprofitable. The alternatives are to use members money to support these sites, which are visited by so few, and take money away from the network refurbishment budget. Or raise the membership fee or pitch fees to raise funds to support these sites,

Cornersteady replied on 13/07/2024 12:51

Posted on 13/07/2024 12:46 by Hja

£30 £35 a night too much for me. The no facility sites suite me fine.

Posted on 13/07/2024 12:51

Brilliant then. If more people did, or had, then these sites would stay open? But my point to NTH was about needing deep pockets

Equally they don't for me and they would have to pay me to stay on them, each to their own as I've always said and I can't think of anything else to say apart from carry on using them? If the club doesn't have them then there must be plenty of others? If not, well...

Cornersteady replied on 13/07/2024 13:00

Posted on 13/07/2024 12:49 by GEandGJE

I think it is good financial practice by the club to continuously monitor the profitability of each site and to sadly close those that are unprofitable. The alternatives are to use members money to support these sites, which are visited by so few, and take money away from the network refurbishment budget. Or raise the membership fee to raise funds to support these sites,

Posted on 13/07/2024 13:00

I agree, I do agree with some sites helping to fund less popular sites to some extent, after all not all sites are full all of the time with some maybe only making a profit, that is covering costs and above, at peak times and rather than close them off peak the really popular sites help to keep them open, but there must/will be a point where that is just unsustainable, I assume that is what happened here. Especially as  the numbers were decreasing year on year, probably at a much greater rate than elsewhere?

If as posted somewhere one of these sites only had one outfit on and if this was the case often then that isn't going to cover the warden's wages for that day.

Takethedogalong replied on 13/07/2024 13:28

Posted on 13/07/2024 13:28

I think the “one outfit on” comment needs a bit of context here. Nunnykirk closes at the end of September, always has done, so it does sound like even the seasonals had gone home at the time the poster who mentioned it stayed. We stayed at Nunnykirk twice a couple of years ago, before it lost the all in pricing pitch fee. It wasn’t full, but it was busy. Folks can interpret this how they like, but for us, it was a great location, close to places we wanted to visit, had all we required or needed in our less power hungry outfit, and we didn’t need legs, bikes or buses to get anywhere. It was actually our second choice, we couldn’t use Fontburn Reservoir overnight stop, as it was closed for an issue, so we popped into Nunnykirk, and were so glad we did. Did the same going home. I think it was £14 per night at the time. It appeared to be thriving to us.

Two years on, November, we go to Cayton Bay. Huge, a glorified, landscaped car park, half closed up, a mere six outfits in the bottom area (not enough grass to use the term “field”) deserted playground, not exactly close to Scarborough, but it might be on a bus route. I think we paid something like £36 per night for a standard pitch. I can only think that the pitch prices charged are levied so that the Summer pricing subsidises the Winter months it stays open (it’s not an open all year site) So expect to see such sites having a shortened season is my guess. The Club is facing a difficult period I think.

Cornersteady replied on 13/07/2024 13:49

Posted on 13/07/2024 10:16 by JohnM20

This is a very much off the wall idea and I'm not sure how it could be worked but rather than closing these small sites, could the club not instigate a system similar to what the YHA used to do many years ago? And that was as part of your stay you had to carry out a menial task. This could be helping to empty the rubbish bins keep the grounds tidy etc . It would just be for , say, an hour on one day of a stay and would be completely voluntary, no compulsion.

I know that there will be screams of HEALTH AND SAFETY and INSURANCE but in that respect I think the world has gone slightly mad. Where there is a will there is a way. Local councils wouldn't, at one time, allow "the public" to help keep parks etc tidy by litter picking. Now many of them not only applaud the public's involvement but also supply the necessary equipment. I, for one, would be quite happy to give an hour of my time, especially if I was on the site for a few days if it meant that these non-carpark sites could remain open.

Posted on 13/07/2024 13:49

John, you're in luck, if you want to help out then you can volunteer to help the club out then you can:

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/about-us/work-for-us/on-our-sites/volunteer/

Everyone has a poke at H&S, until they are responsible if someone gets hurts. 

LLM replied on 13/07/2024 14:47

Posted on 13/07/2024 14:47

I can't claim credit for finding this, it was in fact found by a friend, but I did remember it being posted and started the hunt.  

In 2023 the CAMC said this:

"One of the Club's ambitions is to ensure there is a pitch at a price for every member. Many members love a ‘back to basics’ campsite whereas others prefer a full facility campsite with a shower block, play area and restaurant. However you enjoy your holiday, be it midweek in the summer or only ever at weekends in the winter, we have a massive variety of sites and pitches at different prices to suit every budget."

How is achieving that ambition being served by closing these  ‘back to basics’  sites?  So much for CAMC being fully inclusive.

Takethedogalong replied on 13/07/2024 15:29

Posted on 13/07/2024 15:29

I think the Club is relying on the CL network offering things at the more basic end (although of course there are a good few CLs that are very swish, and provide every amenity ).

For us, many of these small basic sites were ideally located as well priced stopovers as well as nice places to spend a longer period. We certainly used Bromyard, Nunnykirk, Much Wenlock, Notgrove (Bourton), NYM and a few others for our travels up and down and across the country. At £14 per night, they were excellent value, better than a lot of CLs. Some we actually went back to and stayed a lot longer to explore the area more. We were very loyal users of such sites, indeed sometimes chose them over other options, and the fact they were there, but are now dwindling so quickly is just another nail in our near 40 year relationship with the Club. They were stunning locations, proper camping that required a bit of effort (physically and mentally), and places to de stress and enjoy beautiful locations, wildlife, a lot more peace and quiet. 
Thinking about it, adding in all the now lost racecourse sites as well, last three years or so has decimated this kind of Club offering. Club sites are now destinations based on ratings for the loos, how long a pipe you need for a service pitch, can I get to a bus stop, and how dodgy is the wifi signal! Exciting times. The front seat view for the grand prix scrabble to get the perfect pitch does come as a bonus I suppose!
Its touring, of a sorts, but a world away from how we think of it. ☹️

GEandGJE replied on 13/07/2024 16:15

Posted on 13/07/2024 14:47 by LLM

I can't claim credit for finding this, it was in fact found by a friend, but I did remember it being posted and started the hunt.  

In 2023 the CAMC said this:

"One of the Club's ambitions is to ensure there is a pitch at a price for every member. Many members love a ‘back to basics’ campsite whereas others prefer a full facility campsite with a shower block, play area and restaurant. However you enjoy your holiday, be it midweek in the summer or only ever at weekends in the winter, we have a massive variety of sites and pitches at different prices to suit every budget."

How is achieving that ambition being served by closing these  ‘back to basics’  sites?  So much for CAMC being fully inclusive.

Posted on 13/07/2024 16:15

The club has to be ambitions but these shouldn't be followed if it leads to reckless financial management.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook