Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

DavidKlyne replied on 16/07/2024 20:28

Posted on 16/07/2024 20:20 by Tinwheeler

Isn’t there some sort of reciprocal arrangement between CAMC and an overseas organisation which grants free membership to each other's clubs, or am I thinking of C&CC? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted on 16/07/2024 20:28

TW, I had always thought that. I seem to remember a Club publication mentioning it years ago. I suppose it depends if European countries have similar organisations to the CMC in order to have an arrangement. I am pretty certain the Dutch do. 

David

Takethedogalong replied on 16/07/2024 20:43

Posted on 16/07/2024 20:20 by Tinwheeler

Isn’t there some sort of reciprocal arrangement between CAMC and an overseas organisation which grants free membership to each other's clubs, or am I thinking of C&CC? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted on 16/07/2024 20:43

I’m sure there used to be, as we have enjoyed holidays alongside Dutch, German, French tourists, particularly in Cornwall and Northumberland. We gave a road atlas to three Dutch fellas that were touring SW, and marked up all the Club Sites for them last time we stayed at Wincanton. A few years ago mind🤔

Tinwheeler replied on 16/07/2024 20:54

Posted on 16/07/2024 20:43 by Takethedogalong

I’m sure there used to be, as we have enjoyed holidays alongside Dutch, German, French tourists, particularly in Cornwall and Northumberland. We gave a road atlas to three Dutch fellas that were touring SW, and marked up all the Club Sites for them last time we stayed at Wincanton. A few years ago mind🤔

Posted on 16/07/2024 20:54

So I probably didn’t imagine it. Wonder if it’s still a current arrangement?

Tammygirl replied on 16/07/2024 22:08

Posted on 16/07/2024 22:08

I think at one time the DCC (Deutsche camping club) used to have a reciprocal agreement I know when we toured Germany back in 2013 we got a slight discount at some sites showing our CAMC card.

Wherenext replied on 16/07/2024 22:23

Posted on 16/07/2024 22:23

Definitely Dutch as well TG.

We've  stayed at a site near Rotterdam after getting off a ferry. They didn't open the gates in the morning until 10.00 laughing

Is it just me or has the font shrunk even further?

Tammygirl replied on 16/07/2024 22:48

Posted on 16/07/2024 22:23 by Wherenext

Definitely Dutch as well TG.

We've  stayed at a site near Rotterdam after getting off a ferry. They didn't open the gates in the morning until 10.00 laughing

Is it just me or has the font shrunk even further?

Posted on 16/07/2024 22:48

I am finding it very difficult to see what I have typed using a laptop.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/07/2024 22:49

Posted on 16/07/2024 20:28 by DavidKlyne

TW, I had always thought that. I seem to remember a Club publication mentioning it years ago. I suppose it depends if European countries have similar organisations to the CMC in order to have an arrangement. I am pretty certain the Dutch do. 

David

Posted on 16/07/2024 22:49

Yes, it was in print somewhere but it was in the dim and distant past.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/07/2024 22:50

Posted on 16/07/2024 22:48 by Tammygirl

I am finding it very difficult to see what I have typed using a laptop.

Posted on 16/07/2024 22:50

See the thread started by Ro about the 'improvements'.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook