Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

Tammygirl replied on 11/07/2024 21:57

Posted on 11/07/2024 21:25 by nelliethehooker

Or perhaps the Clachan site?

Posted on 11/07/2024 21:57

More than likely with the much more expensive Maragowan just 1 mile away.

I will be sad to see Dockray Meadow close, it is the site we like in the lakes. Much quieter than all the other lake sites.

Of course they are going to close it, its non facility and the others are more expensive so the club have to fill them. Well they wont with me as I will not be pushed into using something I don't want.

Every time we have been to Dockray the site has been almost full, with quite a few seasonal pitches. Yet the club say folk don't want non facilities, really. We use mainly non facility sites, we like them as do many others. 

chens replied on 12/07/2024 06:33

Posted on 12/07/2024 06:33

With these camc sites closing why is it we don’t hear the camping and caravaning closing sites ?

mickysf replied on 12/07/2024 07:15

Posted on 12/07/2024 07:15

Like the preverbal phoenix some previously lost to us sites have gone on to rise again and appear to be doing very well now under another guise. Anyone remember Ladycross Plantation? 

JohnM20 replied on 12/07/2024 07:52

Posted on 12/07/2024 07:15 by mickysf

Like the preverbal phoenix some previously lost to us sites have gone on to rise again and appear to be doing very well now under another guise. Anyone remember Ladycross Plantation? 

Posted on 12/07/2024 07:52

Yes, from many, many years ago. 1989 to be precise. I recall it being a very nice site. There was a guy lived behind the site with his own helicopter who flew off to his office, in Leeds I believe, every morning.

Tinwheeler replied on 12/07/2024 08:17

Posted on 12/07/2024 06:33 by chens

With these camc sites closing why is it we don’t hear the camping and caravaning closing sites ?

Posted on 12/07/2024 08:17

I’m not aware of C&CC having any similar small non-facility sites. However, they have lost a few franchised sites recently.

Cornersteady replied on 12/07/2024 08:54

Posted on 12/07/2024 08:54

Where we live there was a fleet of mini buses run by the local bus company that did short trip between all the 'villages' in Washington going through the town centre. They were a feature of the town of many years. 

About a year ago they were stopped due to very low usage, as my neighbour said 'I've never used one but it's a shame they are going'. Very similar to what is being posted here.

These sites account for less than 1% of all club pitches and I suspect there are CLs near to them?  

Fozzie replied on 12/07/2024 10:28

Posted on 12/07/2024 06:33 by chens

Posted on 12/07/2024 10:28

Chens

The Camping and Caravanning Club have recently lost to their network of sites,Oldbury Hill in Kent, Adgestone on the Isle Of Wight,Oxford ,had to pull out of Folkstone due to on going ground conditions,Umberleigh I am sure there is more ,but haven't got handbook to check,pulled out of all of their franchised sites,split from the Camping in the Forest chain,no oversea's section ,no winter rally's. ect

Oxford was the surprise to me,yes it was a city centre site,but so easy to get around.

They have added two though,remodernised both Braithwaite Village in the Lake District and Nottingham.

LLM replied on 12/07/2024 11:10

Posted on 12/07/2024 11:10

Lots of theories being put forward regarding these closures.  Mine is consistency.  Unfortunately over the past few months I have been on a number of CAMC sites.  They were all the same.  Perhaps the sites being closed don't fit the mold.  Judging by the descriptions I've read they are the ones that are different and possibly more interesting, even quirky.  

Takethedogalong replied on 12/07/2024 11:17

Posted on 12/07/2024 07:15 by mickysf

Posted on 12/07/2024 11:17

We drove past Ladycross back in April, it’s still there. I wonder how safe North York Moors site will be in next few years, with the two sites at Scarborough and Bridlington within 25 miles. Again, we much prefer it to Cayton Bay. Both the Scarborough sites are South of the town, so NYM is much closer to Whitby. It might sound isolated, but the big P&R makes Whitby an easy visit from there. As does the big Abbey car park at the South sides the River Esk. There was 20 years between my two visits, and I didn’t see any obvious signs of any recent investment.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook