Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

richardandros replied on 21/07/2024 15:59

Posted on 21/07/2024 15:59

Oooh - I didn't expect this reaction when I answered David's question at silly o'clock this morning. I've been through all the comments since my last post and the two things that stand out are - are mickysf's comment about intolerance to each other and Helen and Trevors's about wardens affecting the atmosphere on sites. I said to Ros, as we left the reception area - "Welcome to Stalag Luft III" - and that's how it felt. No problem, though - we just got on with it.

As for the intolerance bit - let me say that I don't believe that Covid has anything to do with it - that's just an excuse and it was there before 'covid'. We are now in the "me,me,me" world and "I'm more important than you" and, unfortunately us oldies have just got to accept it.Thank goodness there are still enough of us about to be able to support each other with old-fashioned values. I suspect (though will never know), that things will turn full circlesmile)

What I see in this - are the dangers of too much centralisation - been through this twice before, both in the Police and St John Ambulance. I don't blame the Wardens - they are simply doing as instructed and following the party line - they're not in a position to argue (with any effect). The 'bean counters' have one objective in sight and are, sadly, not in touch with what is happening on the ground or what the consequences of their decisions may be - or perhaps, more to the point - can't react quickly enough.

poggy replied on 21/07/2024 16:37

Posted on 21/07/2024 16:37

Used some of the sites that are closing and they are nice. As said before don't use them and they will close. We're all up in arms about the local high street closing and big out of town retail outlets opening, Amazon on the wonderful interweb just a click away. Shops underused so not  making money, we are all guilty of sleepwalking into having big impersonal experiences. I personally love no facility sites but also use the bigger ones. I could leave but there are plenty of nice sites left. Sadly the club is a business and whilst I may not like or approve of "their" decisions I don't think I could do better. 

ScreenName5D6FEFEC9C replied on 21/07/2024 16:47

Posted on 21/07/2024 16:47

Sad to see that Dockray Meadows will be be closing, we use it on a regular basis to visit family in the area. a beautifully peaceful site. not everyone wants candyfloss,amusments and playgrounds.membership should be just that, funds used for the pleasure of all members. I’m sure that it will at least break even, it is always well looked after and patronised from what we’ve seen. worth a visit just to listen to the resident owls.we hope and look forward to it being taken on by new management, shame on the CAMC.

Takethedogalong replied on 21/07/2024 17:15

Posted on 21/07/2024 17:15

Micro managed sites, some hate them, some tolerate them, some absolutely love them. 

Takethedogalong replied on 21/07/2024 17:17

Posted on 21/07/2024 16:37 by poggy

Used some of the sites that are closing and they are nice. As said before don't use them and they will close. We're all up in arms about the local high street closing and big out of town retail outlets opening, Amazon on the wonderful interweb just a click away. Shops underused so not  making money, we are all guilty of sleepwalking into having big impersonal experiences. I personally love no facility sites but also use the bigger ones. I could leave but there are plenty of nice sites left. Sadly the club is a business and whilst I may not like or approve of "their" decisions I don't think I could do better. 

Posted on 21/07/2024 17:17

Interestingly, someone is indeed having a go at keeping an ex non facility site open and running………Marazion, down in West Penwith. 

Tinwheeler replied on 21/07/2024 17:36

Posted on 21/07/2024 17:17 by Takethedogalong

Interestingly, someone is indeed having a go at keeping an ex non facility site open and running………Marazion, down in West Penwith. 

Posted on 21/07/2024 17:36

Yes and still using CAMC’s photos on their website 🤷🏻‍♂️

GEandGJE replied on 21/07/2024 18:25

Posted on 21/07/2024 13:09 by mickysf

You are right Tinny, but maybe Tim is new to this and unaware of that flogging. However, with the increased numbers of ‘motorised caravans’ I’m sure it won’t be the last and may just need revisiting for reappraisal in the near future. 

Posted on 21/07/2024 18:25

So right Micky, the decision that the club shouldn't look at an Aire type produce hasn't been made by the Club but by a collective consensus made on CT.

Tinwheeler replied on 21/07/2024 18:41

Posted on 21/07/2024 18:25 by GEandGJE

So right Micky, the decision that the club shouldn't look at an Aire type produce hasn't been made by the Club but by a collective consensus made on CT.

Posted on 21/07/2024 18:41

I’m not aware of any decision being made, only an expression of opinions 🤷🏻‍♂️

peedee replied on 21/07/2024 19:19

Posted on 21/07/2024 18:25 by GEandGJE

Posted on 21/07/2024 19:19

At one time they did say they would introduce a trial in respose to a questIon raised at the AGM but what that even composed of was never revealed and I think nothing happened at all.

peedee

K Brown replied on 21/07/2024 19:39

Posted on 21/07/2024 19:39

Even if the club looked at an Aire type product, whatever that may be, the fact remains that the more remote, non facility sites, are overall losing money. 

The club have never come out and said this, but it seems to be the case that each site must pay its own way. 

The non facility remote sites, loved and used by a number of people previously (me included), are a less attractive option now.

Who is going to work at Nunnykirk (and the other “at risk” sites?

Perhaps the answer for those members who want a basic site, the answer may be a CL of which there are a number in Northumberland.

I’m sorry if this seems negative to some, but the world moves on, most people want more facilities closer to hand.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook