Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

mickysf replied on 21/07/2024 20:20

Posted on 21/07/2024 15:59 by richardandros

Oooh - I didn't expect this reaction when I answered David's question at silly o'clock this morning. I've been through all the comments since my last post and the two things that stand out are - are mickysf's comment about intolerance to each other and Helen and Trevors's about wardens affecting the atmosphere on sites. I said to Ros, as we left the reception area - "Welcome to Stalag Luft III" - and that's how it felt. No problem, though - we just got on with it.

As for the intolerance bit - let me say that I don't believe that Covid has anything to do with it - that's just an excuse and it was there before 'covid'. We are now in the "me,me,me" world and "I'm more important than you" and, unfortunately us oldies have just got to accept it.Thank goodness there are still enough of us about to be able to support each other with old-fashioned values. I suspect (though will never know), that things will turn full circlesmile)

What I see in this - are the dangers of too much centralisation - been through this twice before, both in the Police and St John Ambulance. I don't blame the Wardens - they are simply doing as instructed and following the party line - they're not in a position to argue (with any effect). The 'bean counters' have one objective in sight and are, sadly, not in touch with what is happening on the ground or what the consequences of their decisions may be - or perhaps, more to the point - can't react quickly enough.

Posted on 21/07/2024 20:20

I agree with much of this, it was there prior to Covid, but Covid I’m sure has compounded the issue. The rise of the Yuppiedom, those me, me, me attitudes really accelerated these standpoints. However it was there even prior to this but they who exhibited such views were fewer in number. As you say there are enough of us supportive types today to make a possible difference, given the chance. Interestingly most, but not all, of this persuasion now tend to be in the younger generations. As to too much centralisation the opposite has been argued with too many site specific rules ( different arrival times, different pitching requirements etc.) showing a lack of continuity and commonalty. It seems that no one can win!

Formentor replied on 22/07/2024 18:32

Posted on 22/07/2024 18:32

Nunnykirk has 43 seasonal pitches this year all of which are taken and the club want to close the site at the end of September 2024. Why haven’t the club consulted the seasonal pitch holders with a view to increasing the cost to say £1500 for 2025 season…..I’m sure the majority if not all, would be happy to pay this if it resulted in the site staying open. The club have not actively marketed Nunnykirk in my opinion and this probably applies to the other sites which are also closing. 

Tinwheeler replied on 22/07/2024 18:46

Posted on 22/07/2024 18:32 by Formentor

Nunnykirk has 43 seasonal pitches this year all of which are taken and the club want to close the site at the end of September 2024. Why haven’t the club consulted the seasonal pitch holders with a view to increasing the cost to say £1500 for 2025 season…..I’m sure the majority if not all, would be happy to pay this if it resulted in the site staying open. The club have not actively marketed Nunnykirk in my opinion and this probably applies to the other sites which are also closing. 

Posted on 22/07/2024 18:46

Why not put your suggestion to CAMC?

Formentor replied on 22/07/2024 19:04

Posted on 22/07/2024 19:04

Will do when Nick Lomas and co respond to my email…..they have a 20 working day response timescale!! I won’t be waiting though .

GEandGJE replied on 22/07/2024 19:45

Posted on 21/07/2024 18:41 by Tinwheeler

I’m not aware of any decision being made, only an expression of opinions 🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted on 22/07/2024 19:45

Correct TW, the club has not made any decisions on an Aire type product.

Tinwheeler replied on 22/07/2024 19:58

Posted on 22/07/2024 19:45 by GEandGJE

Correct TW, the club has not made any decisions on an Aire type product.

Posted on 22/07/2024 19:58

Exactly, no one has 👍🏻

handyandy replied on 23/07/2024 09:31

Posted on 23/07/2024 09:31

Instead of closing these no facilities sites they should be using them to combat the current cost of living. If they offered them at £20 per night for pitch, electric and all occupants they would soon fill up and along with the seasonals return to profit. They used to do something similar a while ago. I think the current management of the club would struggle to run a bath. 

Cornersteady replied on 23/07/2024 09:47

Posted on 23/07/2024 09:31 by handyandy

Instead of closing these no facilities sites they should be using them to combat the current cost of living. If they offered them at £20 per night for pitch, electric and all occupants they would soon fill up and along with the seasonals return to profit. They used to do something similar a while ago. I think the current management of the club would struggle to run a bath. 

Posted on 23/07/2024 09:47

So you think a £1.60 reduction from the current peak price for a couple (it already has EHU) would do would do it at Nunnykirk and fill up the pitches? 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook