Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

DavidKlyne replied on 23/07/2024 09:56

Posted on 23/07/2024 09:31 by handyandy

Instead of closing these no facilities sites they should be using them to combat the current cost of living. If they offered them at £20 per night for pitch, electric and all occupants they would soon fill up and along with the seasonals return to profit. They used to do something similar a while ago. I think the current management of the club would struggle to run a bath. 

Posted on 23/07/2024 09:56

A couple of the sites on the list I have just checked and in July/August (peak season) they are only about £22 a night for two people so I am not sure that £20 a night would make a lot of difference? They are already priced not much more than you would pay for a CL so what is stopping more people using them? Being non-facility sites would not have prevented me using them but unfortunately it does seem to put the bulk of members off, no doubt coupled with the remoteness of some of the sites. With hindsight it is perhaps a shame that the Club didn't highlight these sites as being at risk earlier on as that would have alerted member to the possibility of closure and perhaps encouraged more to visit.

David

handyandy replied on 23/07/2024 10:24

Posted on 23/07/2024 10:24

Well call it kids go free if you prefer. It’s younger families that are feeling the pinch and need to be encouraged as the future of the club. Add three kids and the saving is over £100 on a two week holiday. If you compare that to a site with facilities it is a greater saving.  Couples can go off peak if they want to save. 

Tinwheeler replied on 23/07/2024 10:47

Posted on 23/07/2024 10:47

But….families with children generally don’t use non-facility sites which is why we were able to enjoy their quietness at peak times. 

However, aren’t there already offers and free stays for children? It’s not something I’m up to date with.

Cornersteady replied on 23/07/2024 10:59

Posted on 23/07/2024 10:59

Why stop at three kids for two weeks, why not four for three? But an extra child is £2.20 per night and the club will have analysed the data and seen how many childrens go to these sites. I would suspect it's not many.

Nunnykirk is all grass, great when it's dry and the sun's out - done it with three young children and got the t-shirt. Also done it when it's been raining (a lot for a few days) and the site got muddy, then while on site it's not and you can have the t-shirt back.

Also, again personally speaking, a non facility site with (three) children is just a non starter. Yes one can use the shower in the outfit but with five people to use it the aquaroll will probably run out then the hot water will too unless a lot of planning is done. And of course toilets, again not a big problem but they will need emptying - a lot and usually when it's raining!

Sadly these type of sites are not paying their way.

LLM replied on 23/07/2024 11:35

Posted on 23/07/2024 11:35

Under 5’s FREE, Dogs FREE, Hot showers FREE, Electric hook-up FREE, WiFi FREE, Awnings FREE.  What a load of buncombe.  It’s all priced into the charge.  Any member who thinks they are getting a special deal is kidding themselves. 

Those who don’t want or use any of those things are subsidising others just as much as the other sites may be required to subsidise the non-fac sites if they were to keep them open for the self sufficient.  

Tinwheeler replied on 23/07/2024 11:49

Posted on 23/07/2024 11:35 by LLM

Under 5’s FREE, Dogs FREE, Hot showers FREE, Electric hook-up FREE, WiFi FREE, Awnings FREE.  What a load of buncombe.  It’s all priced into the charge.  Any member who thinks they are getting a special deal is kidding themselves. 

Those who don’t want or use any of those things are subsidising others just as much as the other sites may be required to subsidise the non-fac sites if they were to keep them open for the self sufficient.  

Posted on 23/07/2024 11:49

I assume that, as you’re not a member, you probably prefer to go to commercial sites where they often charge for each of those items. It can add up to a fair bit more with that type of menu pricing.

Personally, I was always happy to help out others by subsidising things, such as play areas, of which I had no need 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cornersteady replied on 23/07/2024 12:53

Posted on 23/07/2024 11:35 by LLM

Posted on 23/07/2024 12:53

You're making it sound as if people has being forced against their will to use club sites and being taken advantage of in some way?

I think most, if not all, members realise what all that 'free' stuff means and none of them will be kidding themselves at all. But of course as you will know using mostly non club sites, these things are often charged for in addition to the pitch price and can mount up, of course not to mention the club's T&C which I think are the best in the market 

I've posted recently of non club site where dogs are £3 per night per dog. And there was one CL were showers were charged for.

MikeyA replied on 23/07/2024 17:10

Posted on 23/07/2024 17:10

I've posted recently of non club site where dogs are £3 per night per dog.

Sounds like a lovely quiet site! laughing

Tinwheeler replied on 23/07/2024 17:49

Posted on 23/07/2024 17:46 by Formentor

I have now put this suggestion to the club and await their reply!

Posted on 23/07/2024 17:49

Do let us know the outcome 👍🏻

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook