Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

Takethedogalong replied on 21/07/2024 10:26

Posted on 21/07/2024 10:26

Funnily enough, we stayed at NYM middle of April this year, and really enjoyed it, but other than a brief hello with staff, had little interaction. We hadn’t been for over 20 years. The one thing that was obvious was that it had been very wet, and they didn’t want anyone or anything even on the edges of pitches, as anything other than a tractor would have been well and truly stuck. There were caravans on the grass seasonal pitches that were unreachable, even with a 4x4. I do seem to recall that in the past, site staff might have helped rescue anyone stuck, but don’t nowadays for whatever reasons, so maybe, prevention is better than cure, and let’s face it, some visitors do get themselves into literally, very sticky situations. That said, one of the irritating things you do occasionally get is to be asked have you been before, and even if you do say yes, the run down of do’s and donts has to be gone through! I usually end up with a bit of a glazed expression, and try to give the right response if asked anything specific🤭

Its a lovely site is NYM. Staff wouldn’t put us off going (nor other places), as our only interaction tends to be hello on arrival, and possibly thank you if anyone around as we leave. 

mickysf replied on 21/07/2024 10:30

Posted on 21/07/2024 10:30

What has become abundantly clear to me recently regarding attitudes to life and wellbeing are those generational divisions in our society. I’m not trying to make a political statement here but the last six weeks has really proven the point. All those involved have collected, analysed and made use of statistical data regarding the differences between the younger and older demographic groups. The findings I find both fascinating and by and large positive and hopeful. Particularly with regard to the worlds of nature, climate change and environmental issues, all of which are so important to many of our enjoyments of the great outdoors and ‘caravanning’.

So it may be true, and I suspect it is, that the younger and older members of our club have different opinions regarding what constitutes the club and the changes we witness being made.

I also suspect that the vast majority of contributors on CT tend to be in the older groups, not all mind. I further believe, and the recent evidence suggests this, that the older we are the more right of centre ‘we’ become, again, not all of us. Maybe common sense can be found more commonly amongst the young these days?I do so hope more youngsters can somehow be attracted to the club like my daughter and her young family but it could offer so much more. Thankfully we very rarely see requests for more adult only C&MC site these days, there have never been any run by the club and hopefully none will come to be.

I’m reminded of that saying, “one life, live it” but let’s not forget we need to do this with togetherness in mind. I’m hoping for a bright future for the C&MC and that will mean changes. The important thing ‘now’ is for whom those changes are being made.

HelenandTrevor replied on 21/07/2024 10:34

Posted on 21/07/2024 10:34

Richard,  I have to agree about the site staff affecting the atmosphere, we have been regular uses of the now closing Bromyard site, over the years the site had some excellent warden's, on our last visit,  new warden's very efficient but unlike previous visits were told where and exactly how we had to pitch, we were even followed to our pitch and were watched  to make sure this happened. It  didn't exactly make you feel welcomed, our neighbours onside said they were given the same treatment.

Whilst I doubt that this has anything to do with the site closing,  perhaps some regular users were a little put off, I know we were, first impressions do count.

Tinwheeler replied on 21/07/2024 10:44

Posted on 21/07/2024 10:44

I think I’ve read more posts and reviews complaining about wardens, or at least commenting on their attitude, in the last year or two than ever before. Some of the reviews don't survive in order to protect the identity of the wardens who can’t respond but the increase is quite marked. Have things changed or are members now commenting more when, in the past, they would have ignored the occasional grumpiness?

mickysf replied on 21/07/2024 11:00

Posted on 21/07/2024 11:00

There have been so many changes regarding pitching, types of pitches and associated rules in the most recent of years, some coming mid season. All I’m sure have been issued with a directive from HQ for staff to enlighten the membership of these changes and ‘educate’ us all as to the rationale behind them. How do staff members know if we are up to date with the latest developments or do this when we tip up without them asking or broaching the issues with us. Sometimes I think some are really quick and keen to shoot the messenger who, again I’m sure, is only doing their job as instructed to do so. Sadly some of us appear less tolerant towards the efforts staff are clearly trying to deliver and are possibly reading too much into that first impression. 

SteveL replied on 21/07/2024 11:06

Posted on 21/07/2024 11:06

Have things changed or are members now commenting more when, in the past, they would have ignored the occasional grumpiness?

I can’t say we have noticed any significant difference. Although interaction these days tends to be minimal. If you arrive around 1 / 2, as we tend to, you often don’t have to get out of the cab. Warden with a clip board ticks you off, gives you a map if required, tells you what pitch type you’ve booked and how to pitch. Then sends you on your way with instructions to report back with pitch number. I must say we quite like it, speeds up entry no end.  OK you do get the odd one who goes on a bit, despite being told you have visited recently and know the drill. However, I don’t mind that, they are just being thorough and when you see the ridiculous way some folk pitch, even after this instruction, who can blame them.

mickysf replied on 21/07/2024 11:25

Posted on 21/07/2024 11:25

I can see it now, hear it now. (assuming you have of course turned up at the right time, that’s taken a lot of effort to get across hasn’t it)

However….

‘Good afternoon’
‘Have you been here before, are you aware of……’

This friendly introduction then immediately being met by that slight but perceptible roll of the eyes or the slightest groan, or maybe you give a more terse or possibly sarcastic retort.

I guess first impressions work both ways. Unforgivable in my opinion  to suggest we are paying for that friendly intercourse without being positively and actively engaged in it!

Takethedogalong replied on 21/07/2024 11:51

Posted on 21/07/2024 11:51

I suspect that there are a good number of new staff since COVID, every Club Site we have been on has something saying we are recruiting, be it for Assistant SM, or volunteers. I would also add (and don’t forget, we aren’t regular Club Site users) that some on-site behaviour by Members has changed a bit as well. We were shocked at the speeds around sites like Clumber Park, Burrs CP earlier this year, and if there’s a short cut to somewhere, it will be used, including driving down one way systems. Not sure if it’s selfish behaviour, or simply lack of empathy for other users, but it is happening. I certainly wouldn’t cycle round either of those two sites between 1-2 pm🫣 We have noticed staff at Clumber out and about significantly round the site on our last three visits there, which is good, it’s a deterrent for some of the stuff that goes on. 

The last time we encountered an over zealous staff member was back mid 1990’s. We arrived at Yellowcraig, just after 8pm, in thick fog after something like a six hour tow, and were pounced upon by as Assistant Warden. Arms out wide, you can come no further, here’s the LNA area, you need to park up to pegs, make sure you give us your card, you must be in reception at 9am, blah, blah. We just let it wash over us, unhooked (no motor mover), and started pushing van into LNA. Mr Zealous insisted on helping and getting in the way. We were exhausted and just wanted to get our heads down. Thankfully, Warden came out and gently led him away, and left us to it. Too much help can be as distracting as not enough sometimes😁

TimSands replied on 21/07/2024 12:03

Posted on 21/07/2024 12:03

I'm not sure the club properly reflects the difference in needs between caravanners and motorhomers. I am willing to be contradicted but generally caravanners stay longer and like full facilities because of the effort of refilling the water tank. Motorhomers tend to tour, make shorter stays and are less bothered about full facilities. 

As a motorhomer, I tend to stay for one or two nights. Because I don't use the facilities beyond grey and black waste, bins and fresh water, I will generally only go to sites that are in spectacularly attractive locations or once every five days to top up the batteries on hook up.

I do think the club needs to think about the needs of motorhomers and consider whether they could better accommodate them. There are an increasing number of aires being opened. We recently stayed at two on the Moray coast with all the facilities we needed for £15-£17 a night in spectacular seaside locations. Both had ANPR and were bookable online. Hard standing numbered pitches. There was no hook up but those of us who have upgraded to lithium dont need them generally. I do think moving to charging separately for electricity is a good idea.

The Camping Car Park network of aires in France is a really exciting example of what could be done here: an app which tells you availability on the day, the possibility of pre booking to reserve a place: unstaffed with entrance through barrier by card with the ability to top up for payment. 

These approaches are designed to support touring with the expectation and sometimes the requirement for stays of no more than 48hours. 

I would be interested to know whether the club have properly researched the needs of motorhomers or whether they just feel the legacy caravanning offer is the market that they are in.

Takethedogalong replied on 21/07/2024 12:22

Posted on 21/07/2024 12:22

I think the Club has its own approach to touring, and if your needs, wants and disposable income can correspond, then it caters for all types and ages. Hence you can start off with a tent and stay, change to a caravan/MH and stay, and if towing, driving about gets all too much, then you can now stay in pods of different kinds. It is a definite UK based type of stay, with a range of locations, and isn’t at the more adventurous, budget end of the spectrum, but is beloved by those who do like this guarantee of what you are going to get no matter what you are touring in, or which part of the UK you want to visit. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook