Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

richardandros replied on 20/07/2024 16:19

Posted on 20/07/2024 16:19

I've been all the way through this thread and noted the various comments - and I really don't know what to think.  As I have posted elsewhere, we are currently on the NYM site - a site we have been coming to for the last 10 years and always about the same time - well within a day or two anyway. We are pitched almost at the end of the one-way system, so when I came back from getting a paper this morning, I counted how many units were on site.  There were 44 out of 90 available pitches occupied, 7 have left and 6 are coming in today. In previous years, at this time, the site has been full or nearly full. Interestingly, there are only about 6 motorhomes here.

Compare that with Sandringham, last month - 138 pitches and it was full or nearly full for the whole two weeks we were there. So that points towards facilities - or lack of them - being the key issue - but if that is the case then what's changed at NYM since last year and the years before? Both are in fairly remote locations, although Sandringham does have a bus stop outside.

Talking to a number of 'neighbours' on site - they are also surprised at the low level of occupancy.  One had been coming here for 28 years, and another for 40.  Both said they had never seen it like this.

The common grumbles are the comparatively high cost for a NF site - another is the introduction of centralised waste bins but more importantly is the attitude and demeanour of the new Wardens - so much so that both the above say they will never return again. The conspiracy theorist in me is asking whether this is deliberate to reduce occupancy over time and thereby bring about the site's demisewink

I did wonder if the weather was a factor - but the forecast (BBC) for both sites (this month and last month) were almost identical in their inaccuracy and the initial poor forecast turned out to be anything but - in both cases.

Frankly, I'm a bit baffled.

Peter670 replied on 20/07/2024 17:04

Posted on 20/07/2024 17:04

This is really bad news. We use nunnykirk a lot. If these sites are only 1% of the network, then the cost of keeping them open is also small. We never use the main full facilities sites because of the very high site fees. If this goes ahead, then it will be CLs all the time for us. Very disappointed 

Wherenext replied on 20/07/2024 19:01

Posted on 20/07/2024 19:01

Richard, A couple of your points stick out but I feel the major one will be the cost of a Non-Facility site. At one time these NFs were priced at a standard one price and all of the ones that i stayed at, out of high season, were very well attended.

Not sure about the occupancy comparison. I recently stayed at Chester Fairoaks site, admittedly mid-week and just for the 1 night but it was only 1/3rd full, in July. It's next to a large Outlet village with easy access to Chester and Liverpool and the motorway network. In my view it was overpriced but handy for what we wanted it for and there is a lack of alternatives in the area.

I think the regulars are a bit hasty in saying "never" due to the wardens. If they really value the site then they should write to the club and complain about them. The trouble with the British is they complain about matters to the wrong people. Their inaction will help the demise of that site. I daresay it's already in the crosshairs of the bean counters.

youngalan replied on 20/07/2024 19:17

Posted on 20/07/2024 19:17

Again - if these sites represent only 1% of the site costs surely there must be ways of making a cost saving in the club to keep these sites open for the benefit of the MEMBERS . 

I can suggest two ' Why does the CAMC magazine now need two editors ?

and why every time that I watch YouTube do I get an advert for the CAMA ?

DavidKlyne replied on 20/07/2024 21:00

Posted on 20/07/2024 21:00

If I read what Rowena said in her original post was that the sites which are closing only represent 1% of the total pitches available across the network. Whether you think the Club should keep them open because they are just such a small amount seems to disregard the fact that they could be making a loss. OK losses will ebb and flow depending of the general circumstances but I assume the Club is not making the decision just on what is happening this year? If sites consistently make losses that is a drain on the Club's ability to upgrade other sites which are more likely to repay the investment? Some suggest the Club is charging to much for these sites but if sites fees were reduced they have to attract a lot more people just to stand still.

As regards site staff it always puzzles me when people seem to have a negative experience. In the 40 odd years I was a touring member 95% of my contact with site staff was when I checked in and I don't recount any issues at that stage. I didn't arrive early, I always pitched correctly, I didn't speed on site and I don't have a dog so the possibility of further contact was much reduced. So what are these difficulties people are experiencing?

David

richardandros replied on 21/07/2024 06:53

Posted on 21/07/2024 06:53

David - Whilst I wasn't going to go into detail on here - since you have asked the question, I will. Our experience, it would appear, was shared by other people we have spoken to (without any prompting from us).

It's really all about being customer focussed and about making members feel valued - simple as that and the way in which that can be achieved or not - is sometimes, quite subtle. Last year, when we arrived - went into Reception and introduced ourselves to Kevin and Karen (the Wardens that had been here for years) - "Oh yes, we remember you - you've got the Knaus, haven't you?" "How are you?" etc etc.  It was quite clever of them to remember us, given how many members pass through - but it made us feel special and valued. No big deal, I suppose - but those two were truly acting as ambassadors for the Club.

Move on a year - pulled up in the arrivals area. Before I could get out of the car to go to Reception, Mrs Warden literally 'marches' towards us, clipboard in hand - gestures for me to close the car door and sit there whilst a conversation took place through the open window. It went something like this:

I introduce ourselves - she makes no attempt to do the same.

She then starts to read from the clipboard. Have you been here before? We've had to close the grass pitches because we have had serious flooding problems.

Yes - we know - you rang us.

Please don't go on the grass under any circumstances, if you have a motor mover, use that so that the car doesn't churn the grass up.

I smiled, and pointing to the All Terrain tyres on the car and jokingly said, "I don't think there's any danger of that". No reaction.

Anyway, we don't want anyone going on the grass and there have been some changes since you were last here. We now have centralised bins and then explained that.

After about five minutes of what can only be described as a well-practised lecture, we went on our way to find a pitch. Within a few yards of the arrival bay, there is a quite narrow bit of roadway, where, from past experience, I know that units necessarily have to go on the grass to get round the bend and it does get churned up. What have these wardens done? Put two large wooden planters either side of the roadway making it extremely tricky to get a wide unit such as ours through without damaging it.

A customer-focussed alternative would have been to cut the grass back away from the road and fill in the gap with the gravel chippings that are used for all the roadways off the main one.

In terms of 'atmosphere', I get the impression that the site itself is more important to these Wardens than the customers / ?guests themselves.  Bit like hospitals being wonderful places if it wasn't for the patients!

I could go on with other examples we have heard from others but I have rambled on long enough - but you did ask the question. I agree that there is nothing I have recounted that justifies a complaint and I won't be doing so - but first impressions count and you only get one chance to make a first impression!

Richard

mickysf replied on 21/07/2024 09:14

Posted on 21/07/2024 09:14

I’ve been visiting C&MC sites for more than 50 years so  let’s not kid ourselves and just remember that sites have been closing and new ones opening throughout the club’s existence. Let’s not also forget that the world, technologies, societies and our requirements to live within it have also changed during that period. I remember my grandfather telling me that in his lifetime he witnessed the first car entering his village and the first man on the moon, change happens. Anyway, back to the OP. I have noticed people’s general happiness in life, their work satisfaction and that overall feeling of social togetherness much reduced these days, well that’s my observation. The lightening fast way both one’s positive and  their negative or dissatisfaction experiences can now be brought to our immediate attention can have a profound influence on us. The problem I think is that our happiness, our sense of being valued and our respect for others is in direct correlation with this rapid change. It’s not going away, today becomes tomorrow and with it our lives will change and move on, it’s just that this change is so very, very rapid these days. The pace is turning us into somewhat detached robots chasing our tails with the next task, next directive, next challenge to be met. Sometimes I feel that just keeping up with progress can have a detrimental effect on us all and that goes for both C&MC members and staff. Finally back in the 70s I remember my boss telling me how this new fangled computer would reduce workload and improve our leisure lives. How wrong he was and he totally left that introduction of the new technologies to us youngsters. May be a more retro approach to life and experience in general, particularly on sites, could be a real selling point.

Takethedogalong replied on 21/07/2024 09:47

Posted on 21/07/2024 09:47

Retro stuff can be great fun, and is hugely popular. Steam trains, classic cars, old fashioned outdoor lido’s, re-enactments of all kinds, 40’s wartime special events, 50’s/60’s music events, history events at NT/EH/Cadw properties. Living Museums…..lots to get involved in, try out if it’s of interest.

Children in particular seem to love something that they haven’t experienced before, where you have to do everyday tasks a little bit different than they might do at home. We do live in a fast paced, little physical effort environment nowadays compared with even 20 years ago, and sometimes it’s nice just to lay back under the sunshine or stars, listen to nature all around you, turn off technology, and connect/re connect with sights, sounds, smells, tastes all around for a short while.  Stress relief for adults as well😁

DavidKlyne replied on 21/07/2024 10:04

Posted on 21/07/2024 10:04

Richard

Thanks for explaining a little more about the site staff situation. Perhaps the difference as I see it is that we only went to those sites where the area around was more important than the site itself. I tend to take as read that a CMC site will meet our needs and whilst some are better than others I have never been totally let down by any I have visited. I am sure we have all witnessed staff reactions from super friendly to Sargeant Major directness? Perhaps the latter a hangover from Covid?  Although in truth the vast majority have been the former. It does seem sometimes as if reception staff are working from a script but if you are the 20th arrival that day I suspect its an easy position to get into. Even those sites we visited on a regular basis there is usually a few years between visits so the prospect of me remembering site staff was pretty remote.  

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook