Is (casual) European touring ruined forever?

PaulAbroad replied on 13/09/2023 12:25

Posted on 13/09/2023 12:25

We've been caravanning abroad for 40+years covering the majority of European countries, but this year something has changed. 

When the kids were small we had to holiday during August but rarely, if ever, booked ahead but it was rarely a problem finding a pitch, although it was obviously busy. When we were able to delay until September things were so much more relaxed with plenty of pitches to choose from at any site. 

This year the enjoyment has been somewhat curtailed with lots of ringing around required and many sites being full. Some sites that do offer a pitch shove you in a tight spot somewhere just to do you a favour. We started at Orleans, then Lyon, both very busy but some availability. Moving down to Cote d'azur (yes I know it's popular) everywhere is rammed and we ended up in a site's 'waiting room' area for three nights. Moving over the border into Italy... same problem with outfits being packed in like sardines. 

So onto Annecy, surely there would be plenty of availability? Nope, full signs everywhere but we were squeezed into a pitch on yet another rammed site. Ten minutes later and we wouldn't have even had that. I can't believe this is happening in September.

So... is it the case that the pandemic saw such huge increases in campervan/motorhome ownership - not many caravans about - there just isn't the capacity any longer? Looks like a big rethink is required for future holidays. Booking ahead the whole holiday? Never done that and don't intend to. Just find places that aren't as popular? Well of course there's a reason places are popular...

I'd be interested in the experiences and observations of others.

SteveL replied on 13/09/2023 13:10

Posted on 13/09/2023 13:10

We are in a Motorhome, so have also been using Aires, but have not had any major issues on the three full sites we have used. Although this year the first two have wanted to allocate a pitch and two of the three required payment for two nights up front and then you could go back and pay for more if you wanted to stay longer. Perhaps they’ve had a few leave without paying as that in our experience is a bit unusual.

Belfort was busy and there was a bit of difference of opinion over what constituted a suitable pitch. Their allocation had a low tree branch and their alternative was already occupied, the third was OK though.😀 There still seemed to be a few spare pitches left at the end of the day. Avignon was busy and had the all electric pitches taken sign out by tea time most days, although you could still get a non electric. It was certainly busier than our visit in 2019, although we are a couple of weeks earlier. This one at Chateauneuf du Pape is almost empty, just a few tourers and grape pickers in one of the cabins.

To date the Aires, all camping car park ones so far, have had plenty of space. So far less full than last year.

Dyddy replied on 13/09/2023 14:21

Posted on 13/09/2023 14:21

I'm afraid can't comment in Europe this season, but think you've hit the nail on the head in many ways. Casual touring or late booking as we regularly do, is more painstaking than before. Rather than choice, more a matter working down a list of preference until finding a vacancy & more people literally waiting outside at earliest arrival time to get the best spots. Maybe you were just a bit unlucky this season & it'll be fine next.

flatcoat replied on 13/09/2023 15:28

Posted on 13/09/2023 15:28

We always book ahead when going to Europe and cannot understand the problem with doing so. My wife is German and would never dream of going on holiday in Central Europe in peak season without booking, even more so with a caravan. To say it is being ruined because this type of holiday is more popular is rather snobbish. I am delighted caravanning, motorhomes and camping is so much more popular. If it were the other way, it is likely camp sites would be closing and reflect an economy on its knees, at best. 

eribaMotters replied on 13/09/2023 15:36

Posted on 13/09/2023 15:36

I am equally surprised by the level of site occupancy abroad. 

After 35 years of teaching we managed to get away out of high summer for the first time in 2017.

As usual we had booked, but found lots of spaces in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Post Covid in our France/NL trip of mostly June 2022 I initially did not book, but as our trip approached I could see very little on-line availability, so booked. It was a good job I did as if I'd turned up wanting a week long stay I'd have been turned away. If in a Motorhome or camper and only wanting a few days we would have been OK.

We are currently in The Loire, having arrived 12 days ago from Carnac. The sites there were basically empty as they closed at the start of September. Fellow caravaners coming up from Millau have said the same.

When we arrived the site was busy and has been up to 90% full, so you had to take what you would be offered. Currently I'd say it is about 60% full and will close in a few weeks.

We have booked a pitch here for next year in mid June, as only 4 of the desirable riverside pitches were left. 

My guess is the "newbies" who bought over Covid have fallen into one of two camps.

They have either decided it is not for them and hence a glut in used Caravans, slow sales and depressed values, along with emptyish UK sites.

They have enjoyed their time and decided to venture further afield, where weather is generally better, pitch fees lower and greater facilities are provided.

Colin

peedee replied on 13/09/2023 15:47

Posted on 13/09/2023 15:47

I agree it has got bussier but not to the extent that you cannot tour without booking, Peak season at popular destination has always posed  problems and I think weekends and winter sun at certain spots might be going the same way.

I toured from Easter for 6.weeks this year and only made the Easter booking and had no problems thereafter and we used a variety of sites.

I am currently in Spain and have to admit I was staggered at the amount of motorhomes on the Le Crotoy harbour Aire when we arrived for the night., Hundreds on a Wednesday! We were late arrivals (1830L) due to being held up at Folkestone by security checks and there were just two places left. We took one and half an hour later another Brit took the last one. We had no problems night stopping travelling down through central France but on arrival at a well known large resort on the Med coast, it was full on a Saturday. I have never known that to be the case before. We moved on just 10 miles further away to find plenty of spaces at the next site. After 2 nights we checked out and came back on the Monday. By that evening there were 100s of pitches available and we are waiting to see what happens this weekend and for the remainder of the tour.

peedee

PaulAbroad replied on 13/09/2023 16:17

Posted on 13/09/2023 15:28 by flatcoat

We always book ahead when going to Europe and cannot understand the problem with doing so. My wife is German and would never dream of going on holiday in Central Europe in peak season without booking, even more so with a caravan. To say it is being ruined because this type of holiday is more popular is rather snobbish. I am delighted caravanning, motorhomes and camping is so much more popular. If it were the other way, it is likely camp sites would be closing and reflect an economy on its knees, at best. 

Posted on 13/09/2023 16:17

Okay, my headline was harsh - as was your response! - but with the best will in the world I can't say I'm delighted by this year's experience. Booking ahead with a rigid plan for four weeks just doesn't appeal but maybe that's just how it will have to be.

PaulAbroad replied on 13/09/2023 16:22

Posted on 13/09/2023 16:22

On second thoughts, if there was an edit function I'd change the headline to 'Is (casual) European touring changed forever? 

Dyddy replied on 13/09/2023 17:09

Posted on 13/09/2023 16:22 by PaulAbroad

On second thoughts, if there was an edit function I'd change the headline to 'Is (casual) European touring changed forever? 

Posted on 13/09/2023 17:09

Perhaps we should remember to be a bit nicer to everyone, not hang on every written word & pounce on it. Motorhomers & Caravanners are such a friendly bunch, why spoil because its online. You're fine PaulAbroad, be happy everyone.

peedee replied on 13/09/2023 17:25

Posted on 13/09/2023 16:17 by PaulAbroad

Okay, my headline was harsh - as was your response! - but with the best will in the world I can't say I'm delighted by this year's experience. Booking ahead with a rigid plan for four weeks just doesn't appeal but maybe that's just how it will have to be.

Posted on 13/09/2023 17:25

I cannot imagine travelling long distances to a rigid schedule. There are just too many variables effecting the journey. I do plan but as with my stop over at Le Crotoy, you have to accept the variables. I was planning on getting to Neufchatel!

peedee

PaulAbroad replied on 13/09/2023 18:57

Posted on 13/09/2023 17:09 by Dyddy

Perhaps we should remember to be a bit nicer to everyone, not hang on every written word & pounce on it. Motorhomers & Caravanners are such a friendly bunch, why spoil because its online. You're fine PaulAbroad, be happy everyone.

Posted on 13/09/2023 18:57

Ha ha, I thought I was back on Twitter for a moment!wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook