CLs displaying 2017 charges?

Surfer replied on 15/07/2016 13:57

Posted on 15/07/2016 13:57

On looking for a CL yesterday I noticed that quite a number had their 2017 prices in place already and most had gone up by £2? 

Has the CC asked or directed these CLs to increase their prices as too many members are using CLs instead of CC main sites?

harryb replied on 15/07/2016 16:42

Posted on 15/07/2016 16:42

I've noticed this too. Some price rises are 20% I've never had that much rise in my life.

So many members ask the question re the clubs involvement in setting prices. It gives food for thought. The funny thing is the club never give a reply

Supertractorman replied on 15/07/2016 17:28

Posted on 15/07/2016 17:28

As a CL Owner I can comment on this matter from our position. We regularly receive Newsletters from the Club updating us on things the Club are doing and items which may well be relevant to how we run our CL's, such as any new legislation coming up etc.  We never have any reference to what charges we should make or in fact what the Club are charging on their own sites.  Each year we have a visit from our local CL Sites Inspector which can be at any time and not advised prior to the visit to see if the site is tidy, grass cut etc and also to check how many vans are on site and if all Visitors present have their Membership Card with them. No reference is ever made to charges and when we proposed opening our CL at the start, we enquired from him what we should charge.  His reply was that he was not allowed to advise but suggested that we looked at the prices and facilities of neighbouring CL's and be competitive when starting out in order to build our own clientele and get the essential new business. Well 6 years on we have only had one price rise from the £10 we started with, and now have 70% repeat business, but will have to rise to £13 this October to pay for increased refuse collection charges and increased Public Liability cover to ensure we have all aspects of this little business covered.    So no "Big Brother" is telling us what to charge or do if that answers your questions, but I could easily see other Inspectors may make comments in their conversations which might be against Club guidance.

David    www.perthshirecl.co.uk

NicolaW replied on 15/07/2016 18:05

Posted on 15/07/2016 18:05

I 100% echo what David says. Nobody is telling us what we should charge....there is no conspiracy going on!

I am putting my nightly fee up from £12 to £13 from January 2017 and yes, this is an 8.3% rise but would you prefer it if I charge my visitors £12.06 (roughly .5% on a par with inflation)? I think most visitors would think me completely mad and what would be the point anyway. Yes, I could put it up to £12.50 but since we opened we have invested a lot of money and time into making our CL what it is today, hard standings, FREE wifi etc etc, which is what people want despite members on here saying otherwise, so I'm not about to apologise for an additional £1 per night.

The reason the 2017 prices are already showing is because last month (June) all CL owners had to let HO know what changes we wanted to make for next year because they have to organise the printing of the sites directory ready for the new year and I should think that takes some doing and yes, there will be errors in it! It is HO's decision to put the 2017 prices on the website now....we were not consulted about that but at least we are not hiding our price rises and springing them on members come 1st January.

I hope this helps to explain the situation from another CL owners point of view.

Nicola
www.skybarnfarm.co.uk
Telephone: 01522 681218
Email: enquiries@skybarnfarm.co.uk
Site 1026, page 400 of the 2015/2016 Sites Directory

CaptainCaravan replied on 15/07/2016 18:14

Posted on 15/07/2016 18:14

Again as a non member I require a little advice, the price you quote is that all year? On a CL is there no peak period?

Nicola your CL is one I have been looking at as a regular weekend retreat. Small world. (If we join the club)

Fisherman replied on 15/07/2016 18:24

Posted on 15/07/2016 18:24

I for one like to see proper up to date prices quoted as there is nothing that puts me off a CL more than being quoted a higher price than in the book or on the web site. OK Irealise its from prices. I do however now find them generally pricing themselves out of the market particularly off peak. Competition from the commercial sites is fierce. In May were looking at the LLeyn Peninsular and most Cls were in the region of £15 (basic) Haven charged £9-90 per night for an Europitch. OK not a proper comparison but the quality was superb and made us look at commercials for every holiday ( we have been away 11 times already this year.Next week a CL)

JVB66 replied on 15/07/2016 18:28

Posted on 15/07/2016 18:28

It might allay some of the complaints that appear on here on a regular basis ,complaining that the price of this or that cl is not the same as in the sites directory,that will start again in 2018 when there is not an updated price guide Undecided

NicolaW replied on 15/07/2016 18:31

Posted on 15/07/2016 18:31

Captain, I can only speak for myself as a CL owner but one who is in regular contact with some 40+ other CL owners. My price of £12 per night (all in I might add, no hidden extras Wink) is for all year round, as will be my £13 per night from January 2017 onwards. I don't charge more during school holidays. Quite frankly, I think anything up to £15 or £16 per night to include electric, wifi etc is a bargain. We are happy to pay £20 per night if we can get a serviced pitch when we (very rarely) manage to get away in our caravan!

You would be very welcome here...we're very friendly Smile and we have made the site and keep the site how we would like it to be were we staying on it...which has been tempting sometimes when things get a bit too much! Surprised If you look at my website and click the link you will be able to read all my reviews even though you're not a member....yet.

Look forward to meeting you before too long.  Go on, join the Club....you know you want to really!

Best regards
Nicola
www.skybarnfarm.co.uk

Fysherman replied on 15/07/2016 18:32

Posted on 15/07/2016 18:32

I 100% echo what David says. Nobody is telling us what we should charge....there is no conspiracy going on!

I am putting my nightly fee up from £12 to £13 from January 2017 and yes, this is an 8.3% rise but would you prefer it if I charge my visitors £12.06 (roughly .5% on a par with inflation)? I think most visitors would think me completely mad and what would be the point anyway. Yes, I could put it up to £12.50 but since we opened we have invested a lot of money and time into making our CL what it is today, hard standings, FREE wifi etc etc, which is what people want despite members on here saying otherwise, so I'm not about to apologise for an additional £1 per night.

The reason the 2017 prices are already showing is because last month (June) all CL owners had to let HO know what changes we wanted to make for next year because they have to organise the printing of the sites directory ready for the new year and I should think that takes some doing and yes, there will be errors in it! It is HO's decision to put the 2017 prices on the website now....we were not consulted about that but at least we are not hiding our price rises and springing them on members come 1st January.

I hope this helps to explain the situation from another CL owners point of view.

Nicola
www.skybarnfarm.co.uk

Nothing wrong with £13 for what I have seen doing a bit of research on your site Nicola.

The Fysh will be visiting later this year.

NicolaW replied on 15/07/2016 18:36

Posted on 15/07/2016 18:36

Nicola
www.skybarnfarm.co.uk

Nothing wrong with £13 for what I have seen doing a bit of research on your site Nicola.

The Fysh will be visiting later this year.

Thank you Fysh! I look forward to meeting you...as long as you let me know it's you! Tongue Out

All the best
Nicola

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook