CL Pricing - just a conspiracy theory

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 12/03/2019 10:44

Posted on 12/03/2019 10:44

There have been numerous comments on this forum suggesting that the CAMC is encouraging CLs to increase their prices.  In our 16 years' experience as CL Owners, we have never been given pricing guidance by the Club.

The reality is that the Club has relatively little contact with CLs:

• The CL Department at CAMC Head Office has very few staff.  It issues a newsletter to CLs a couple of times each year - this does not include pricing guidance, but typically includes reminders to submit electricity safety certificates, insurance details and occupancy figures.
  • Every two years, we are sent an extract of our previous entry in the Sites Directory and are asked to confirm or update those details.  This does not contain any pricing guidance either.
  • We have an annual inspection by an unpaid volunteer Club member who is appointed as our 'CL Adviser'.  The reality is that this is an unannounced 'surprise visit' - in recent years, this has been on a Sunday morning whilst we have been away at church.  Rather than getting any meaningful 'advice' from our from CL Adviser, we tend to have a card in the letterbox to say that he has been and gone.
  • CL Owners who happen to be a Club members (not always the case), receive the annual Sites Directory and Handbook, plus the monthly Club magazine - just like other Club members.

That's all the contact we get from the Club in the course of a year, unless we win a prize, or someone puts in a complaint.

That then begs the question of 'How do CL Owners set their prices?'. 

• In our case, we learned a hard lesson a couple of years ago - we had been voted 'Best Small Site' in the UK by Practical Caravan Magazine readers for the second year running.  We were swamped with bookings and having to turn lots of people away, so we decided to increase our all-in pitch fee by £2.  The following year, bookings plumetted, but we were nevertheless voted 'Best Small Site' for a third year.
  • This tells us that no matter how good our CL is, the pitch-fee is critical to CL guests.  CAMC Members who pay £40K - £50K for a caravan and suitable towcar will choose to go elsewhere for the sake of £2.  This is human nature - a similar mentality to driving to the next petrol station to save a penny per litre on fuel.
  • This is somewhat frustrating, when we see a commercial site 2 miles from us, alongside an 'A' Road, with tightly-packed vans, which charges double our pitch-fee, whereas we offer peace and tranquility, views across 9 counties and just 5 vans spread over 2 acres - all for for only £14 per night, including EHU (and no charge to use our Wi-Fi).
  • In effect, by staying as a CL, our prices are constrained by the market forces, i.e. the prices of other CLs.  CL Owners can view prices of other CLs on the CAMC website or Sites Directory, and then make up their own minds regarding pitch fees.

If we want to make more money from our land, I am firmly of the opinion that we would need to leave the CL network.  We choose to remain because of the nice guests we get coming back year after year.   Club members are 'easy company' - they tend to know what to expect from a CL and are usually grateful for what they find.

BTW - we are caravanners ourselves and use both CLs and Club sites.

Ian Kelly

01691 622951
Holiday@BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill, The Cross, Ellesmere, Shropshire, SY12 0LP
www.BirchHill.co.uk
CL Number 1280 in the 2019/20 CAMC Sites Directory

Birch Hill Farm – relax at our award-winning hideaway in the beautiful lake-lands of Shropshire - exclusively for members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club

Tinwheeler replied on 12/03/2019 12:00

Posted on 12/03/2019 12:00

Thanks, Ian. It’s good to hear the views of an owner. From the horse’s mouth, so to speak.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 12/03/2019 12:33

Posted on 12/03/2019 12:33

On the other hand Tinster I do love a good conspiracy theory-I feel a little deflated right now☹️. I do hope Ian doesn’t go on to debunk the ‘Elvis was seen in Shropshire’ news itemπŸ˜‡πŸ™ƒ

Tinwheeler replied on 12/03/2019 12:44

Posted on 12/03/2019 12:44

Aw, Rocky. We'll have to fill you with hot air to inflate you again. Fortunately, you’re in a good place for that. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜

eurortraveller replied on 12/03/2019 14:48

Posted on 12/03/2019 14:48

Ian Kelly, You say that a few years ago you were "swamped with bookings", but a quick look at your on line bookings page shows that is not the case now.  Is there just one day in the whole of this year when your CL is fully booked?  

You have mentioned price as one factor, but I wonder what other reasons you see. Why is it that despite your awards and your obvious meticulous attention to detail people are not beating a path to your door?  Do you have ideas? 

JVB66 replied on 12/03/2019 15:57

Posted on 12/03/2019 14:48 by eurortraveller

Ian Kelly, You say that a few years ago you were "swamped with bookings", but a quick look at your on line bookings page shows that is not the case now.  Is there just one day in the whole of this year when your CL is fully booked?  

You have mentioned price as one factor, but I wonder what other reasons you see. Why is it that despite your awards and your obvious meticulous attention to detail people are not beating a path to your door?  Do you have ideas? 

Posted on 12/03/2019 15:57

I think if you read the op correctly ,you will not have needed to as normal it seems post what you haveundecided

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 12/03/2019 16:32

Posted on 12/03/2019 14:48 by eurortraveller

Posted on 12/03/2019 16:32

It is still early in the year and I'm comfortable with the level of bookings to-date, but thank you for your kind concern.

The past 2 years have been our best-ever for bookings and this year is looking good as well - we've just had our busiest-ever February.

Although our online availability calendar shows vacancies for most of the year, there are dates where we have only 1 pitch left - this is not obvious because our online diary just shows 'full' or 'not full'.  Green colouring on the calendar does not mean that we are totally empty.

As mentioned in the original post, being 'swamped with bookings' used to manifest itself in the form of phone calls in the fortnight before members wished to stay here (often when we were sitting down to a meal).  It was frustrating to be interrupted 3 times in a single mealtime and have to decline all 3 bookings in order to keep within the 5-van rule.  Introducing an online booking system has meant that members can see availability for themselves and book online.  This has meant fewer phone calls (and fewer interrupted mealtimes), and a distinct increase in bookings.

Ian Kelly

01691 622951
Holiday@BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill, The Cross, Ellesmere, Shropshire, SY12 0LP
www.BirchHill.co.uk
CL Number 1280 in the 2019/20 CAMC Sites Directory

Birch Hill Farm – relax at our award-winning hideaway in the beautiful lake-lands of Shropshire - exclusively for members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club

nelliethehooker replied on 12/03/2019 19:00

Posted on 12/03/2019 19:00

Good post, Ian. I'm glad to see that you're doing well. From my point of view I believe it's the new sites that are being directed by the sites "advisor" on the level of price that they should be charging when they first open. However I could well be wrong, I often am.

Freddy55 replied on 12/03/2019 19:05

Posted on 12/03/2019 19:00 by nelliethehooker

Good post, Ian. I'm glad to see that you're doing well. From my point of view I believe it's the new sites that are being directed by the sites "advisor" on the level of price that they should be charging when they first open. However I could well be wrong, I often am.

Posted on 12/03/2019 19:05

Or maybe it’s the other way round? Site owners asking for pricing advice? Just saying πŸ™‚

nelliethehooker replied on 12/03/2019 19:15

Posted on 12/03/2019 19:05 by Freddy55

Or maybe it’s the other way round? Site owners asking for pricing advice? Just saying πŸ™‚

Posted on 12/03/2019 19:15

You could well be right. It would be nice to have a comment from the owner of a new CL.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook