CAMC CL Signage

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 23/02/2017 09:52

Posted on 23/02/2017 09:52

I welcome the change in Club name to embrace motorhomers more fully, however I was dismayed by the proposed CL signage.

The proposed CL roadside entrance sign lacks impact, readability and 'message' for passing traffic. 

The CC brand was very recognisable to members and non-members alike.  People had confidence in the Caravan Club 'brand' - a national institution.  I fear that such a radical change will lose business for us. 

As a CL Owner, we benefit from local recommendations.  Our recommendations often come from non-CAMC members - local people tell friends & family to stay with us whilst visiting them in Ellesmere.  The proposed CL sign is not large enough and is not recognisable nor obvious enough, particularly to non-members. 

The old CL sign was quite clear that we can only accept 5 outfits at a time, and guests must be members of the Club.  Even so, we usually have to explain this to non-members (and some members!) several times a year.  The new CL sign is less obvious in this respect - if we are to get more non-members knocking at the door, I would welcome the opportunity to be able to enrol them as Club members at our CL.

With a lot of white space, this proposed CL roadside sign will quickly look dirty with splashes from passing vehicles - not an ideal image to promote.

Many websites and social media pages need square logos for avatars etc - CL Owners have only been given a rectangular .jpeg file.  The production of style & branding guides is standard marketing department practice - surely there must be a CAMC branding guide with a square logo...?

Ian Kelly
01691 622951
Caravan@BirchHill.co.uk
www.BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill Farm – a multi-award winning caravan site in the beautiful lake-lands of Shropshire - exclusively for members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club

Read the reviews - look at the photos.

Number 1398 in the 2015/16 Sites Directory

Poolefarm replied on 23/02/2017 10:16

Posted on 23/02/2017 10:16

Hi Ian,

Yes, a very interesting point re the signage.  Perhaps a way round this is to put the image of the sign in an email to your booked caravanning guest so that they know what to look out for. We have a section in the CL's email signature which gives clear directions, so that is where we will put ours.  I am not sure if you email your customers or if many CLs do - it is just the way that we do things around here.

As for other logos, I think they will send you versions which are used for various mediums.  Perhaps ask the ladies on the CL response team.

I have also been in touch with the club about a few point that I don't think they had thought about for CLs and where they have to comply.  We don't have a sign on a main road indicating the whereabouts of our CL, we only have them on the gate.  If the 5 van and members only section is not clearly visible, it will cause more 'chancers' to arrive on site - not a bad thing if you have space for them and they don't mind joining the club there and then.

I would be interested in hearing other CLs views

Louise

MichaelT replied on 23/02/2017 10:58

Posted on 23/02/2017 10:58

Personally yes we have got sued to looking for the old CC CL sign and recognise it but as time goes on we will no doubt forget about the old sign and recognize the new one.

One change I would like to see though is to have the CL name on the sign.  We often pass a CL sign and think this is a nice area maybe we should stay here sometime but we never know the CL name so it involves a map search etc. to try and find it.  A sign clearly saying the CL name would help.

One other thing for CL owners why oh why can't you be bothered to get some photo's and a decent up to date verbiage on the C&MC web site so us punters can have a look to see what its like.  We are far more likely to book a site if it has pictures and good reviews than one where there are none.

mattjaneking replied on 23/02/2017 11:34

Posted on 23/02/2017 11:34

Is it not possible for CL owners to display both the new and the old signs for a year or two until we members get used to the new one?

The Ovaltineys replied on 23/02/2017 11:46

Posted on 23/02/2017 11:46

My first thoughts were why don't all the CLs join the CCC instead but on reflection this may be welcomed by the CC?

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 23/02/2017 12:01

Posted on 23/02/2017 11:34 by mattjaneking

Is it not possible for CL owners to display both the new and the old signs for a year or two until we members get used to the new one?

Posted on 23/02/2017 12:01

I like that idea to ease the transition - unfortunately the CMAC has asked for us to send the old signs back in pre-paid envelopes.

Now you know how you membership fee is being spent.

Ian

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 23/02/2017 12:18

Posted on 23/02/2017 10:58 by MichaelT

Personally yes we have got sued to looking for the old CC CL sign and recognise it but as time goes on we will no doubt forget about the old sign and recognize the new one.

One change I would like to see though is to have the CL name on the sign.  We often pass a CL sign and think this is a nice area maybe we should stay here sometime but we never know the CL name so it involves a map search etc. to try and find it.  A sign clearly saying the CL name would help.

One other thing for CL owners why oh why can't you be bothered to get some photo's and a decent up to date verbiage on the C&MC web site so us punters can have a look to see what its like.  We are far more likely to book a site if it has pictures and good reviews than one where there are none.

Posted on 23/02/2017 12:18

We are caravanners as well as CL Owners and like the idea of having the CL name on the sign. 

For the next version, we might add our postcode as well as that would help with SatNav.

Ian Kelly
01691 622951
Caravan@BirchHill.co.uk
www.BirchHill.co.uk

mattjaneking replied on 23/02/2017 12:56

Posted on 23/02/2017 12:01 by BirchHillFarmCL

I like that idea to ease the transition - unfortunately the CMAC has asked for us to send the old signs back in pre-paid envelopes.

Now you know how you membership fee is being spent.

Ian

Posted on 23/02/2017 12:56

What!?

This is ridiculous!

Wherenext replied on 23/02/2017 14:30

Posted on 23/02/2017 14:30

Were any CL owners or owners groups invited to give their input into the design of these signs or just given them as a fait accompli? I suspect the latter otherwise the secret would have leaked out but just reinforces how much esteem the club really have in the CL network. 

They are always ready to promote the use of CLs as one of their selling points but don't seem to involve you a great deal in decision making that mght actually affect your business and therefore income. Is that assumption correct?

MichaelT replied on 23/02/2017 14:47

Posted on 23/02/2017 12:56 by mattjaneking

What!?

This is ridiculous!

Posted on 23/02/2017 14:47

Not really when you think about it logically.  As an organization you have rebranded so want everyone to use the same logo, typeface etc. on all letters, signs etc.  So by giving the CL owner the pre-paid envelope you ensure they use the new sign and you have the old one to destroy thus ensuring your brand is kept in tact.

Takethedogalong replied on 23/02/2017 16:59

Posted on 23/02/2017 16:59

Am I correct in thinking that the new signs do not say 5 vans only, members only?

Just wondering.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook