Noseweight advice

DaveAldi replied on 22/10/2017 12:38

Posted on 22/10/2017 12:38

I tow a 2013 Coachman Pastiche 560/4 with a MTPLM of 1630kgs. I've recently changed my towcar from a Hyundai Santa Fe (Kerbweight 1977kgs and max noseweight 100kgs) to a Skoda Kodiaq Edition 4x4 (Kerbweight 1798kgs and max noseweight 80kgs). Considering the Kodiaq is the current towcar of the year I have been very disappointed with the towing stability of my outfit and despite careful loading and checking of tyre pressures I've had a few episodes of snaking (between 50 and 60 mph in the absence of strong winds), including one event where the car's towing stability assist activated the ABS to bring it under control. The caravan is fitted with ATC and an Al-Ko stabiliser hitch.

I purchased a noseweight gauge and found that the noseweight of my Coachman when totally emptied for winter (apart from two standard gas bottles in the front locker) was over 100kgs.

Please can anyone offer advice, firstly on whether I'm expecting too much of my towcar at a 90% match (bearing in mind I have 30 years towing experience) and secondly whether it's normal to have to remove gas bottles and add "ballast" behind the axle of an empty caravan to reduce the noseweight to an acceptable level. If I remove the gas bottles from the front locker, where is the safest place to carry them?

Thanks in advance to anyone with useful advice.

replied on 22/10/2017 13:03

Posted on 22/10/2017 13:03

Sadly there are some caravans that, in my view, are too heavy on the nose when empty and difficult to balance. Never had that problem myself and present caravan is very light noseweight when empty at around 63kg and makes a tad skittish towing empty at around 1350kg. Not a problem however as I leave gas bottles (and of course battery) on board when towing to service and keep speed down to 50mph.

The ratio of noseweight to laden caravan for your set up is similar to that when my caravan is unladen (about 0.49% of caravan weight) and so I am not greatly surprised that you are finding the outfit skittish with an 80kg noseweight if that is what you achieve. I personally would prefer that with a caravan of that weight the noseweight was over 90kg and preferably 95kg. I see your problem with that but cannot offer any suggestions. 

Rufs replied on 22/10/2017 14:20

Posted on 22/10/2017 14:20

I am sure there is lots of information out there re how to balance your caravan etc, and some old timers will chip in with lots of this information, but as an experienced ex professional driver, if you have all that going on in "the absence of strong winds" with all the stability aids you have available I would seriously not tow at 90 pct, this IMO could have serious consequencies. Coachman are famous for having heavy vans, I have a 2008 Amara 550/5 MTPLM 1575 but tow with a Kia Sorento auto, not dissimilar to the SF. Have to say I dont have such  problems with the nose weight due to the extra weight in the rear to provide bunk beds, and i always put the heavy stuff we carry over the axle or in the rear. Good luck with that one, there is a thread on here somewhere re how the tow car of the rear is decided is not really representative of how is works in the real world. Sorry I could not be more helpful  

Wex replied on 22/10/2017 14:48

Posted on 22/10/2017 14:48

You seem to have grasped that you need to balance the load front to rear to reduce the noseweight.

All you need to remember is to secure the load wherever you find the optimum position. Use ratchet load bars for this.

Tinwheeler replied on 22/10/2017 15:07

Posted on 22/10/2017 15:07

Personally, I would want a heavier tow car and one with a greater nose weight allowance in order to tow a van of that weight. I realise it's not what you want to hear, DA, but it doesn't sound a good or safe match to me. Sorry.

replied on 22/10/2017 15:34

Posted on 22/10/2017 15:34

I would not be too concerned about the 90% match but the low noseweight I would not be happy with. When I bought our X-Trail in 2005 I did consider other cars but some had a towball loading of only 75kg and were discounted straight away. Unless anticipating sticking to MPTLM 'vans of under 1350kg I would not contemplate a car with an 80kg hitch limit.

JVB66 replied on 22/10/2017 15:41

Posted on 22/10/2017 15:41

Our tow car has an 80kg load on the hook and we have not had a problem keeping to it and that is with a 1300kg c/van,mind the c/van is well balanced ex works as it does not have the "problem" of a front "junk"and gas lockerwink

Vulcan replied on 22/10/2017 16:23

Posted on 22/10/2017 12:38 by DaveAldi

I tow a 2013 Coachman Pastiche 560/4 with a MTPLM of 1630kgs. I've recently changed my towcar from a Hyundai Santa Fe (Kerbweight 1977kgs and max noseweight 100kgs) to a Skoda Kodiaq Edition 4x4 (Kerbweight 1798kgs and max noseweight 80kgs). Considering the Kodiaq is the current towcar of the year I have been very disappointed with the towing stability of my outfit and despite careful loading and checking of tyre pressures I've had a few episodes of snaking (between 50 and 60 mph in the absence of strong winds), including one event where the car's towing stability assist activated the ABS to bring it under control. The caravan is fitted with ATC and an Al-Ko stabiliser hitch.

I purchased a noseweight gauge and found that the noseweight of my Coachman when totally emptied for winter (apart from two standard gas bottles in the front locker) was over 100kgs.

Please can anyone offer advice, firstly on whether I'm expecting too much of my towcar at a 90% match (bearing in mind I have 30 years towing experience) and secondly whether it's normal to have to remove gas bottles and add "ballast" behind the axle of an empty caravan to reduce the noseweight to an acceptable level. If I remove the gas bottles from the front locker, where is the safest place to carry them?

Thanks in advance to anyone with useful advice.

Posted on 22/10/2017 16:23

Unfortunately you have fallen foul of the clubs obsession with VAG group vehicles. I would be looking at around 100kg nose weight for your van ideally.

EmilysDad replied on 22/10/2017 18:22

Posted on 22/10/2017 18:22

My last car had a max hitch load of 'just' 75kg, I never considered it a problem & never had a problem, though the car did have self levelling rear suspension. My current car's max nose weight isn't much more at 85kg despite its size & being on the same platform as a ML that has a max nose weight of 150kg. Certainly wouldn't discount a tow car for not having a 150kg nose weight

replied on 22/10/2017 18:25

Posted on 22/10/2017 18:25

What MPTLM caravan MM? 

EmilysDad replied on 22/10/2017 18:30

Posted on 22/10/2017 18:25 by

What MPTLM caravan MM? 

Posted on 22/10/2017 18:30

Original 'van was Lunar & only 1350ish behind a 1750ish car later replaced by my R Class. The Lunar was then replaced with a 1850ish Coachman

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook