2030 - No new ICE cars to be sold

NutsyH replied on 19/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 19/11/2020 10:56

What is the Club's position on this announcement?

It sounds the death knell for towing anything like a decent size caravan unless reasonably priced electric cars capable of towing over 200 miles without recharge suddenly appear, and the recharging infrastructure expands rapidly. Given the incompetence of most politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Or do we think this is just another of Bojo's announcements that will quietly be forgotten when it becomes clear that there is no chance of this happening by 2030?

Perhaps the Club could enlighten us on whether it is engaging with the Government, as it is abundantly clear that no thought has been given to this issue by the Politicos.

JVB66 replied on 28/11/2020 18:40

Posted on 28/11/2020 17:14 by Takethedogalong

Interesting article, lovely car, but a white knuckle ride for all the wrong reasons. Government needs to underpin it’s headline statements with some serious thought to infrastructure. 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/nov/28/electric-cars-porsche-charging-network

Posted on 28/11/2020 18:40

I read that ,and it seems to blow a massive hole in what  Marketing and a real life scenario  do not quite matchsurprised 

DavidKlyne replied on 28/11/2020 20:09

Posted on 28/11/2020 17:14 by Takethedogalong

Interesting article, lovely car, but a white knuckle ride for all the wrong reasons. Government needs to underpin it’s headline statements with some serious thought to infrastructure. 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/nov/28/electric-cars-porsche-charging-network

Posted on 28/11/2020 20:09

But who in their right mind would leave home on a long journey  knowing they only had enough power for a 45 mile journey? There are lots of interesting videos on youtube testing the range of EV's. The Kia Niro comes out quite well. The current maximum range seems to be  about 200 miles for those vehicles with extended range batteries. In that distance it's likely you would need a break somewhere, probably two in my casesurprised so you top up the battery. It's not quite rocket science?

David

Takethedogalong replied on 28/11/2020 23:46

Posted on 28/11/2020 20:09 by DavidKlyne

But who in their right mind would leave home on a long journey  knowing they only had enough power for a 45 mile journey? There are lots of interesting videos on youtube testing the range of EV's. The Kia Niro comes out quite well. The current maximum range seems to be  about 200 miles for those vehicles with extended range batteries. In that distance it's likely you would need a break somewhere, probably two in my casesurprised so you top up the battery. It's not quite rocket science?

David

Posted on 28/11/2020 23:46

That’s the point though isn’t it? Beautiful car, built to be driven and enjoyed, and environmentally much better. Sadly the infrastructure required to keep it moving wasn’t there when required and the journey became very stressful.

We have motored under similar circumstances with our dual fuelled 4 litre Jeeps. We have had two that had both LPG and petrol tanks. Once the LPG ran out, they switched to petrol, no difference in performance, but the cost per mile trebled, so we made sure we didn’t run out of LPG, especially when towing. We always did a bit of research for LPG stations if we were venturing somewhere new, and it was rather easy in truth, until a pump wasn’t working, or the LPG delivery hadn’t been. Then the fun and games started. Let down by the infrastructure, not the vehicles.

At the moment EVs are brilliant for local journeys, charging at home, but  you’d need to factor in more time and a good dose of luck to charge up mid journey. 

Rufs replied on 29/11/2020 08:38

Posted on 29/11/2020 08:38

"That’s the point though isn’t it? Beautiful car, built to be driven and enjoyed, and environmentally much better"

are they though?, a report just published reports that EV produce 60 pct more CO2 during manufacture than an ICE vehicle and that you would have to drive your EV some 50k miles to make as green as an ICE vehicle, i believe it was Honda and Mclaren that did the testing on Volvo EV. I know this is now rather than the future and i am sure improvements will be made.....maybe.....undecided

JohnM20 replied on 29/11/2020 08:56

Posted on 29/11/2020 08:56

Heard on West Midlands news a couple of days ago that Birmingham are going to install 9,000 public chargers - -  over the next 10 years! To me that doesn't sound very many for a city the size of Birmingham especially as there are many anecdotal stories of public chargers being out of action. What the piece didn't state was whether the council would install 100 now and 8,900 in 10 years time. Perhaps they are unsure that the EV revolution will actually take off.

Takethedogalong replied on 29/11/2020 10:48

Posted on 29/11/2020 10:48

I have given up on all the hair tearing and angst around what is more eco friendly, to love and retain something old, or accept something new and replaced every few years. Not just for cars either.

Doing our bit, we haven’t reproduced, don’t eat meat and I have only flown once since 1982, OH has flown twice. Our eco impact is negligible compared to most folks, so I don’t beat myself up about it, but recycle, reuse and don’t feel the need to constantly renew my material possessions or decor every year or so. 

We will get an electric car when it suits us, when the infrastructure is better and when we can afford a nice one, like that Porsche. 

But then, the Ineos Grenadier is launched next year........🤔

replied on 29/11/2020 11:45

Posted on 28/11/2020 20:09 by DavidKlyne

David

Posted on 29/11/2020 11:45

Not many domestic properties have 50KW excess to supply a charge over the household requirements I suspect during the daytime

DavidKlyne replied on 29/11/2020 12:13

Posted on 29/11/2020 11:45 by

Not many domestic properties have 50KW excess to supply a charge over the household requirements I suspect during the daytime

Posted on 29/11/2020 12:13

Yes but a domestic electrical supply will be sufficient to charge an EV overnight via what they call a Granny Charger which can be plugged into the normal 13 amp socket as I understand it. It takes a lot longer of course. From the picture in the newspaper article there seemed no reason why they couldn't have done that? There are also generous Government subsidies for installing a proper charging system at home, if I have remembered correctly it costs about £1000 to install but by the time you take into account the subsidies I think you end up paying about £300.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook