2030 - No new ICE cars to be sold

NutsyH replied on 19/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 19/11/2020 10:56

What is the Club's position on this announcement?

It sounds the death knell for towing anything like a decent size caravan unless reasonably priced electric cars capable of towing over 200 miles without recharge suddenly appear, and the recharging infrastructure expands rapidly. Given the incompetence of most politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Or do we think this is just another of Bojo's announcements that will quietly be forgotten when it becomes clear that there is no chance of this happening by 2030?

Perhaps the Club could enlighten us on whether it is engaging with the Government, as it is abundantly clear that no thought has been given to this issue by the Politicos.

Airborne replied on 25/11/2020 14:05

Posted on 25/11/2020 14:05

Interesting. I was not aware of possible towing weight increase to 4.25 tonnes. No justification for just doing this for EVs, but plenty to justify it applying to all Cat B vehicle licenses. Personally, I think a new driver should have at least two years driving experience before towing, but the existing rules can't be justified by logic or safety concerns. The B+E test requirements are unnecessarily restrictive as well.

LLM replied on 25/11/2020 14:14

Posted on 25/11/2020 14:05 by Airborne
Interesting. I was not aware of possible towing weight increase to 4.25 tonnes. No justification for just doing this for EVs, but plenty to justify it applying to all Cat B vehicle licenses. Personally, I think a new driver should have at least two years driving experience before towing, but the existing rules can't be justified by logic or safety concerns. The B+E test requirements are unnecessarily restrictive as well.

Posted on 25/11/2020 14:14

As I understand it, it's not a towing weight increase, more an increase to the max weight of the vehicle that a driver with the basic B (car) licence can drive.  

EmilysDad replied on 25/11/2020 14:22

Posted on 25/11/2020 14:05 by Airborne

Posted on 25/11/2020 14:22

the newer rules don't make sense IMHO. I appreciate what they were trying to do but they now prevent someone younger from towing a larger trailer with a bigger/safer 4x4 but then allows them to tow the same trailer with an equal(ish) weight smaller car.

replied on 25/11/2020 15:22

Posted on 25/11/2020 14:22 by EmilysDad

the newer rules don't make sense IMHO. I appreciate what they were trying to do but they now prevent someone younger from towing a larger trailer with a bigger/safer 4x4 but then allows them to tow the same trailer with an equal(ish) weight smaller car.

Posted on 25/11/2020 15:22

No that never made sense.

peedee replied on 25/11/2020 15:22

Posted on 25/11/2020 14:14 by LLM

As I understand it, it's not a towing weight increase, more an increase to the max weight of the vehicle that a driver with the basic B (car) licence can drive.  

Posted on 25/11/2020 15:22

That is correct and it does not allow you to tow either and seemlngly only applies to goods vans. It needs clarification whether that includes motorhomes. It definitely does not include towing vehiles of any description.

The full text of the rules are >here<.

peedee

Airborne replied on 25/11/2020 18:09

Posted on 25/11/2020 18:09

You are on the button about the illogical and in many ways unsafe weight limits that now apply.  Car manufacturers making vehicles lighter and lighter, even removing useful features such a spare tyres and jacks and for towing, engine power and 4WD.  Lighter cars must then have lower towing weight limits.

Even though that is also driving down the weights of caravans (which from my experience seems to be being achieved by omitting the screws that are supposed to hold it together !) it still increases the ratio of towed weight to tow car weight.  All reducing safety.

Then there is the crude rule for Cat B License holders that calculates the weights on plated weights and not actual weights ....

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook