2030 - No new ICE cars to be sold

NutsyH replied on 19/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 19/11/2020 10:56

What is the Club's position on this announcement?

It sounds the death knell for towing anything like a decent size caravan unless reasonably priced electric cars capable of towing over 200 miles without recharge suddenly appear, and the recharging infrastructure expands rapidly. Given the incompetence of most politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Or do we think this is just another of Bojo's announcements that will quietly be forgotten when it becomes clear that there is no chance of this happening by 2030?

Perhaps the Club could enlighten us on whether it is engaging with the Government, as it is abundantly clear that no thought has been given to this issue by the Politicos.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/12/2020 23:51

Posted on 27/12/2020 23:51

Are you including Hinkley Point C, RR, as I understand that's due for completion in 2025 after approx 7 years of construction work?

JVB66 replied on 28/12/2020 10:19

Posted on 28/12/2020 10:19

Our MP is Grant Shapps and I and others in this area, have been in correspondence with both him and our local council as to what plans are  being made to enable large areas of the borough to have access to conveniant charging facilities, to make it more viable for the majority to have an EV, with the amount of terraced properties without access means of charging them

We have not had any positive replies from anybody ,but as we have concluded by the correspondence so far recieved , is that huge amounts of infrastucture investment will have to be made to get anywhere near what HMG is "hoping" ?will make it a viable target of 2030 for the build of new ICE vehicles to stop production,

And for this area as many other with the same types of housing it is going to be "very disruptive"

cyberyacht replied on 28/12/2020 12:43

Posted on 28/12/2020 12:43

How much dosh are we going to throw at this only to find that hydrogen fuel cells are "really" the future and we end up 'behind the curve'?

JohnM20 replied on 28/12/2020 14:35

Posted on 28/12/2020 14:35

I agree with your sentiments completely, Cyberyacht. HMG of whatever colour seem to have an inability to think things through thoroughly, but have the ability of dismissing the thinking and projections and concerns of the real experts and sometimes the opinions of the public.

As for your earlier comment about looking to buy a new diesel powered tow-car in about 2025, I think you are about right. It's what I will be doing, give or take a year or so.

Brogan replied on 28/12/2020 20:01

Posted on 28/12/2020 20:01

Thank you Airborne for the most rational, reasoned and sensible post in this entire thread (all of which I have read).

It is clear that there are no answers available at the moment.  We have a Government which leads by slogan and dictat.  Not a plan in sight.

Vehicle manufacturers cannot produce ICE vehicles up to 31 December 2029, DavidKlyne, and then instantaneously exhaust all stock and offer only EVs.

I currently have a caravan which I purchased new in 1992.  It is now, for various reasons, reaching the end of its touring life.  Should I purchase another?  I think not as it appears rather uncertain that I will be able to use it for another 28 years.  Therefore that is one caravan less that the industry will need to produce next year.  Are there others like me?  Probably, therefore a few, or perhaps many, new caravans which will not be needed.

How long will this reduction in demand take to destroy the caravan industry?  Not long, methinks.

JVB66 replied on 28/12/2020 20:15

Posted on 28/12/2020 20:15

Just another point that was "slipped out" recently, when we had the first lockdown in this country , air pollution levels dropped by only 10% even though very little road/air transport was movingsurprised

And our Mr Shapps drives a Tesla? and has just had the new "green badged" number plates fitted at one of our local service centres and  with "big" publicity with itundecided

DavidKlyne replied on 29/12/2020 09:41

Posted on 28/12/2020 12:43 by cyberyacht

How much dosh are we going to throw at this only to find that hydrogen fuel cells are "really" the future and we end up 'behind the curve'?

Posted on 29/12/2020 09:41

Am I wrong in thinking that a hydrogen powered car is still and electric car? All the hydrogen does is provide power, via a fuel cell,  to create electricity? Some of the things I have read suggest that currently hydrogen is not very efficient in cost terms at creating power viz a viz a conventionally charged EV? Also the cost of producing hydrogen in the first place is greater than that of producing electricity. Obviously all these things will change in time  as the technology evolves.

David

JVB66 replied on 29/12/2020 09:54

Posted on 29/12/2020 09:54

When out on our first morning walk today,a "group" of dogwalkers all socially distanced (dogs excepted) got to discussing EVs ,one man a retired CEGB engineer,  was quite sure that the idea of using lamp posts as charging points,was not viable in many places as the supply wiring to them would be so old it would "collapse" with the stress of what some EVs need to charge ,, ,and if many lamp posts were so  modified the whole system would give upsurprised

DavidKlyne replied on 29/12/2020 09:56

Posted on 28/12/2020 20:01 by Brogan

Thank you Airborne for the most rational, reasoned and sensible post in this entire thread (all of which I have read).

It is clear that there are no answers available at the moment.  We have a Government which leads by slogan and dictat.  Not a plan in sight.

Vehicle manufacturers cannot produce ICE vehicles up to 31 December 2029, DavidKlyne, and then instantaneously exhaust all stock and offer only EVs.

I currently have a caravan which I purchased new in 1992.  It is now, for various reasons, reaching the end of its touring life.  Should I purchase another?  I think not as it appears rather uncertain that I will be able to use it for another 28 years.  Therefore that is one caravan less that the industry will need to produce next year.  Are there others like me?  Probably, therefore a few, or perhaps many, new caravans which will not be needed.

How long will this reduction in demand take to destroy the caravan industry?  Not long, methinks.

Posted on 29/12/2020 09:56

Brogan

The bottom line is, will the Government change its mind viz a viz the change to EV only production?  I tend to agree that it could be an important moment for the caravan industry, it will be interesting to see how they respond. What the caravan industry will have to do is to adapt which might mean lighter and not so well equipped caravans for purely touring purposes. (the reason I posted the link that Airborne seemed to object to) Maybe there will be more of a moved towards seasonal type caravanning rather than touring? I suspect motorhoming will be in a better position to survive the change. At my age I would like to think that in ten years time I would still be able to motorhome!!! I just wonder how many people are reconsidering the hobby as a result of COVID and the very limited use leisure vehicles have had over the past year and probably into 2021? 

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook