Swift Motorhome - Never Again

SeeFarers replied on 03/10/2021 09:36

Posted on 03/10/2021 09:36

The title is emotive and for good reason.  In late 2018 my wife and I, after 40+ years of camping and caravanning, purchased our first new motorhome, a £65k+ Swift Bessacarr 599.  The design and layout suited our desires and we expected it to see us out in our remaining touring time.

Disappointingly issues began within months.  Firstly, the Dometic fridge door shelves broke and we had several sets replaced under warranty before we realised they are not fit for purpose.  The fridge handbook states “Only store heavy objects such as bottles or cans in the refrigerator door, in the vegetable drawer or on the bottom shelf”.  We did indeed store milk cartons, butter and jam etc  and these shelves repeatedly broke.  We now know other owners have had this issue but it has never been overcome.

The awning and solar panel both had attention from Swift travelling engineers to fit additional security.  I understand an awning nearly came off a van travelling on a motorway, so this was a serious safety concern for Swift and perhaps an indication that build standards were not satisfactory.

The 599 model comes with an external, under floor pannier drawer, which was the next issue that became unusable within 18 months.  There is no protection for the drawer runners against road spray and dirt so these became corroded and jammed.  More shocking on a vehicle of this supposed quality was to find the drawer runners are the same type to be found in office filing cabinets, i.e. made of mild steel and guaranteed to rust in a very short time when placed where they are.  It has taken my dealer nearly a year to get replacement runners from Swift.  As an engineer I took it upon myself to fit baffles and stainless steel runners to alleviate the problem.  So far so good but the original design and materials are not fit for purpose.  This feature I believe, is still available on 2022 Swift Kontiki models, the equivalent of mine.

Our shower wall has developed a crack which is still waiting a replacement from Swift after 6 months!  Whilst we realise we are in difficult times, it is small comfort to know we can buy a new Swift motorhome quicker than get warranty parts for ours.

Recently, cracking in the paintwork was discovered on the front nearside wheel arch.  The cause and responsibility of this is still being debated and of course a warranty claim has been submitted by our dealer.

In all, no communication has been received from Swift to explain the appalling delays or apologies for them.  We are terribly disappointed in our new motorhome when we should be proud and happy.  Never again.

Lukeledge replied on 03/10/2021 09:52

Posted on 03/10/2021 09:52

From discussions I have seen on some forums I hadn't  got the impression that Swift or Bailey had a great reputation for quality.

My first MH was a used 2004 Swift that turned out to have a rotten damp floor due to a design fault, which didn't endear me to the brand!

Tinwheeler replied on 03/10/2021 10:04

Posted on 03/10/2021 10:04

Commiserations, SeeFarers.

We had a similar experience with a Bessacarr e795 of 2007 vintage. I won't go into a protracted breakdown of the faults but they could be summed up under the heading of build quality. We got rid of it and made the same "never again" vow and have stuck to it.

Unfortunately, it seems Swift were ahead of the game and most other converters are now building down to Swift's standard😕.

hitchglitch replied on 04/10/2021 07:54

Posted on 03/10/2021 09:36 by SeeFarers

The title is emotive and for good reason.  In late 2018 my wife and I, after 40+ years of camping and caravanning, purchased our first new motorhome, a £65k+ Swift Bessacarr 599.  The design and layout suited our desires and we expected it to see us out in our remaining touring time.

Disappointingly issues began within months.  Firstly, the Dometic fridge door shelves broke and we had several sets replaced under warranty before we realised they are not fit for purpose.  The fridge handbook states “Only store heavy objects such as bottles or cans in the refrigerator door, in the vegetable drawer or on the bottom shelf”.  We did indeed store milk cartons, butter and jam etc  and these shelves repeatedly broke.  We now know other owners have had this issue but it has never been overcome.

The awning and solar panel both had attention from Swift travelling engineers to fit additional security.  I understand an awning nearly came off a van travelling on a motorway, so this was a serious safety concern for Swift and perhaps an indication that build standards were not satisfactory.

The 599 model comes with an external, under floor pannier drawer, which was the next issue that became unusable within 18 months.  There is no protection for the drawer runners against road spray and dirt so these became corroded and jammed.  More shocking on a vehicle of this supposed quality was to find the drawer runners are the same type to be found in office filing cabinets, i.e. made of mild steel and guaranteed to rust in a very short time when placed where they are.  It has taken my dealer nearly a year to get replacement runners from Swift.  As an engineer I took it upon myself to fit baffles and stainless steel runners to alleviate the problem.  So far so good but the original design and materials are not fit for purpose.  This feature I believe, is still available on 2022 Swift Kontiki models, the equivalent of mine.

Our shower wall has developed a crack which is still waiting a replacement from Swift after 6 months!  Whilst we realise we are in difficult times, it is small comfort to know we can buy a new Swift motorhome quicker than get warranty parts for ours.

Recently, cracking in the paintwork was discovered on the front nearside wheel arch.  The cause and responsibility of this is still being debated and of course a warranty claim has been submitted by our dealer.

In all, no communication has been received from Swift to explain the appalling delays or apologies for them.  We are terribly disappointed in our new motorhome when we should be proud and happy.  Never again.

Posted on 04/10/2021 07:54

Not much Swift can do about third party equipment like Dometic. Their fridges are fitted to many thousands of motorhomes. Getting parts is a major problem. Our motorhome had damp and parts were ordered in May. We traded it in but the dealer still can’t get the parts to do his own repair. 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 04/10/2021 12:17

Posted on 04/10/2021 07:54 by hitchglitch

Not much Swift can do about third party equipment like Dometic. Their fridges are fitted to many thousands of motorhomes. Getting parts is a major problem. Our motorhome had damp and parts were ordered in May. We traded it in but the dealer still can’t get the parts to do his own repair. 

Posted on 04/10/2021 12:17

H, they could-switch their suppliers, they could fix it quicker, they could design, manufacture & fit their own robust fridges. Making excuses on their behalf or accepting crappy goods & service will never solve the issues it is just ensuring continuing shoddy goods. They’re becoming the British Leyland of the 21st century.

Wherenext replied on 04/10/2021 14:31

Posted on 04/10/2021 14:31

There are quite a number of complaints on various threads about the poor quality of both Dometic fridges and toilets. So much so that people have actually changed the fridge and some have changed the toilet to Theftford.

I wouldn't buy any model of caravan or Motorhome if it had a Dometic in it at the moment and to continue to ignore the problems is not only shoddy but gross negligence.

Pity we don't have a Club that is prepared to take these manufacturers on.

GTrimmer replied on 04/10/2021 15:16

Posted on 04/10/2021 14:31 by Wherenext

There are quite a number of complaints on various threads about the poor quality of both Dometic fridges and toilets. So much so that people have actually changed the fridge and some have changed the toilet to Theftford.

I wouldn't buy any model of caravan or Motorhome if it had a Dometic in it at the moment and to continue to ignore the problems is not only shoddy but gross negligence.

Pity we don't have a Club that is prepared to take these manufacturers on.

Posted on 04/10/2021 15:16

'Our'  Club is a member of the NCC , as are these manufacturers.....

replied on 04/10/2021 15:21

Posted on 04/10/2021 15:21

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Navigateur replied on 04/10/2021 15:35

Posted on 04/10/2021 15:35

I now have the same fridge door shelf problem in my Bailey - but it has taken 15 years to appear.  It appears the shelf is now able to flex a bit under load, so I'll try a rigid "insert" to help it.  

Tinwheeler replied on 04/10/2021 16:12

Posted on 04/10/2021 15:16 by GTrimmer

'Our'  Club is a member of the NCC , as are these manufacturers.....

Posted on 04/10/2021 16:12

And the NCC is a trade organisation looking after its members - manufacturers, dealers, clubs…. It’s not interested in the likes of us customers.

The fridge is only a part of the OP's problems and most of the issues can be attributed to build quality.

brue replied on 04/10/2021 16:17

Posted on 04/10/2021 16:17

I can't think of any companies who build or convert vans who make their own fridges or similar components, industry doesn't work like that so we're dependent on those components being reliable and well made. However the equipment in vans is subjected to the sort of usage not found in a domestic environment so it's difficult to gauge over time just how robust things are.  Sorry to hear there are problems with the OPs van.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook