2020 Club Accounts

peedee replied on 02/07/2021 14:26

Posted on 02/07/2021 14:26

These have now been lodged with Compainies House. The Club lost £10m in operating the network during the year of COVID's arrival. I had thought it would be higher so I think not too bad an outcome but there is nothing to compare it with yet?  Interestingly this year I note an energy consumption report was included, something I have not noticed before so I assume this to be a new requirement. Electricity consumption was 30 million Kwh in a year when sites were closed for some months!

peedee

young thomas replied on 06/07/2021 09:50

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:31 by JVB66

As posted before,  when EHU was at an add cost to pitch prices, although most honest  members complied, any site staff from those days will say it was not uncommon for the ones who thought it did not apply to them , to run a lead to the bollard when they thought no one would noticeundecided

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:50

....and im sure someone on an ordinary pitch might sneak their hose onto a nearby SP....

...but we have to get beyond all this sneaky pettiness and tread customers as customers....the commercial world has changed. 

Cornersteady replied on 06/07/2021 10:10

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:24 by SteveL

while meters are popular with long term sites abroad, theres no need for the Club to use them, merely offer the same pitch as now but with no plugging in allowed..and a juicy saving.

BB I don’t think that would be in the clubs best interest. Not in peak summer in any event. Typically at that time a pitch costs between £30 and £40 for two. In good weather I doubt that a great deal of electric is being used, although more currently as lots are using there own facilities. Would you be prepared to pay £25 / £30 for the same pitch without EHU. Any less and the club is loosing money.

Now in winter it would work. However, few are likely to opt for it then.

Posted on 06/07/2021 10:10

Yes I think you're completely right Steve. The club 'averages out' the cost over the year (in a  similar way to many own home fuel plans where one pays the same each month) and the lower summer usage 'pays' for the higher winter usage. If the club took away the income from the summer EHU then the winter's prices would have to go up to compensate and so higher prices in winter.

Personally I don't think many would take the non EHU option in summer anyway, even if it were offered, just because their LV's can cope without it, I think that is a fallacy especially for those that choose and use club sites. The CCC has a non EHU option (I think or did) yet I think people have said on here that even in summer most or less everyone is connected.  

young thomas replied on 06/07/2021 12:01

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:01

...but the club could easily calculate the required amount needed to cover costs in winter, summer or spring/autumn and regulate non-ehu savings by the appropriate amount.

and, of course, most peoples' vans can 'cope without ehu'....i wonder what functions members' vans would not be able to perform...?

most vans are geared up for mains and 12v supply but as most folk 'always use ehu' (its already paid for in the current pricing structure) they wont have given much thought to using it in any other way.

however, technically, a kettle can just as easily be boiled on the hob as in an electric kettle, water can be heated by gas with the flick of a switch and TVs can be plugged into the 12v socket rather than the 230v one which, in the case of the vast majority of caravan TVs, then transforms it down to 12v!).

some changes aren't even required...many TVs are already connected to 12v sockets as std....both mine are.

as the number of vans with solar increases why not let these customers have the choice and take the strain off the CC grid, reduce the overall usage (good for environment) and reduce CC bills and intake accordingly (cost neutral).

I also wondered how someone who has (rarely/never) been on a CCC site might be so familiar with what goes on there, purely from heresay, that they can be confident the use of non ehu pitches is a fallacy within this organisation.

ive certainly used many, many non ehu pitches within the C&CC portfolio and have seen many others doing so, too....

but then, i only spend about 50% of my (normally 40-50) annual UK site nights off grid, so I couldnt possibly commentfrown

replied on 06/07/2021 12:11

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:11

I also wondered how familiar someone who has (rarely/never) been on a CCC site might be so familiar with what goes on there, purely from heresay, that they can be confident the use of non ehu pitches is a fallacy within this organisation.

I have only seen non EHU on grass pitches although I may have missed some on hard stand.

JVB66 replied on 06/07/2021 12:27

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:01 by young thomas

...but the club could easily calculate the required amount needed to cover costs in winter, summer or spring/autumn and regulate non-ehu savings by the appropriate amount.

and, of course, most peoples' vans can 'cope without ehu'....i wonder what functions members' vans would not be able to perform...?

most vans are geared up for mains and 12v supply but as most folk 'always use ehu' (its already paid for in the current pricing structure) they wont have given much thought to using it in any other way.

however, technically, a kettle can just as easily be boiled on the hob as in an electric kettle, water can be heated by gas with the flick of a switch and TVs can be plugged into the 12v socket rather than the 230v one which, in the case of the vast majority of caravan TVs, then transforms it down to 12v!).

some changes aren't even required...many TVs are already connected to 12v sockets as std....both mine are.

as the number of vans with solar increases why not let these customers have the choice and take the strain off the CC grid, reduce the overall usage (good for environment) and reduce CC bills and intake accordingly (cost neutral).

I also wondered how someone who has (rarely/never) been on a CCC site might be so familiar with what goes on there, purely from heresay, that they can be confident the use of non ehu pitches is a fallacy within this organisation.

ive certainly used many, many non ehu pitches within the C&CC portfolio and have seen many others doing so, too....

but then, i only spend about 50% of my (normally 40-50) annual UK site nights off grid, so I couldnt possibly commentfrown

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:27

I wonder how much of your post is just it seems as most of your posts pure speculationundecided

Cornersteady replied on 06/07/2021 13:04

Posted on 06/07/2021 13:04

BB I think you're trying to dig yourself out of a hole as you didn't read my post well enough.

I'll repost again:  'I think that is a fallacy especially for those that choose and use club sites. (FULL STOP) The CCC has a non EHU option (I think or did) yet I think people have said on here that even in summer most or less everyone is connected. 

I made no mention of the 'fallacy' applying to the CCC as you keep trying to say. I think that I should be allowed to post what others have said without you calling it hearsay? you often post about what others have said? 

I understand now, when I post what people have previously posted it is hearsay, well that applies to your own posts toosmile

Please reply if you wish but I have made my position clear for the last time.

SteveL replied on 06/07/2021 14:04

Posted on 06/07/2021 14:04

as the number of vans with solar increases why not let these customers have the choice and take the strain off the CC grid, reduce the overall usage (good for environment) and reduce CC bills and intake accordingly (cost neutral).

Im not convinced by the environmental argument. As many like us only use solar for low consumption items. The fridge, water heating and any heating would be using gas. As more and more electric is generated by renewables, it would be better to use that, rather than gas.

Of course there is also the point that many, possibly even the majority on CC sites use Calor and there would be little if any financial incentive.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook