2020 Club Accounts

peedee replied on 02/07/2021 14:26

Posted on 02/07/2021 14:26

These have now been lodged with Compainies House. The Club lost £10m in operating the network during the year of COVID's arrival. I had thought it would be higher so I think not too bad an outcome but there is nothing to compare it with yet?  Interestingly this year I note an energy consumption report was included, something I have not noticed before so I assume this to be a new requirement. Electricity consumption was 30 million Kwh in a year when sites were closed for some months!

peedee

Takethedogalong replied on 05/07/2021 11:23

Posted on 05/07/2021 11:23

There’s definitely a much greater take up of basic non EHU CLs happening. OH used a couple this last holiday, both normally exceptionally quiet, yet both full this time (it was weekend mind🤔) One farmer told him he had had more folks staying in a month, than he normally had for a whole year. Mix of vans and MH’s, some with solar panels out, much like you used to see back in the pre EHU days. We noticed a much higher percentage of older MHs on the roads as well this holiday, when out and about. OH said Yorkshire Dales roads were full of caravan outfits on his way home yesterday.

young thomas replied on 06/07/2021 09:03

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:03

with the ever increasing catalog of extras/gadgets being offered on new vans these days, solar is certainly one feature that is either std or at the top of the options list...

once folk realise it does more than just keep the batteries fully charged when not in use, they'll want it to keep them fully charged when in use...

especially if there is a fiver a night saving on offer...

with a solar panel, unless one has a high demand for specific mains electrical appliances, like charging ebike batteries, running a van without an ehu isnt tricky or taxing at all.

having a cup of tea made with water boiled on a gas hob, surprisingly, tastes identical to one made with a kettle plugged into a 240v socket.

having a shower with water heated by the gas side of the boiler feels just like it does when its heated with leccy.

an iphone gets charged just as well when plugged into a 12v socket as it does when plugged into a 240v socket...

watching the footie on the 12v TV is exactly the same whether the batteries are being charged by solar or by a mains charging unit.

a week on site with a fiver a night saving gives a good contribution to the next fill of fuel or a nice meal in a pub....

while meters are popular with long term sites abroad, theres no need for the Club to use them, merely offer the same pitch as now but with no plugging in allowed..and a juicy saving.

as Boris has just said, we need to foster an environment of self governance/responsibility and be trusted not to abuse....after all. we all do self scan, dont we?

wardens can do random spot checks, just like supermarkets....

if it gives members a bit more flexibility and reduces the cost of running the sites portfolio without additional cost, is that a bad thing?

JVB66 replied on 06/07/2021 09:22

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:22

FM is nearly full ,and in all the years we have been coming here, it has not been this full when schools are not outsurprised

All seem on ehu,  ,plenty of car movements but not so with the M/Cs and it is about 50/50

The couple next to us have an Auto Sleeper,PVC  bought it with the proceeds of the place  After many years they have sold in Spain, and advise that many of those they know have or in the process of doing  ,but some are having difficulty with sellingundecided

SteveL replied on 06/07/2021 09:24

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:24

while meters are popular with long term sites abroad, theres no need for the Club to use them, merely offer the same pitch as now but with no plugging in allowed..and a juicy saving.

BB I don’t think that would be in the clubs best interest. Not in peak summer in any event. Typically at that time a pitch costs between £30 and £40 for two. In good weather I doubt that a great deal of electric is being used, although more currently as lots are using there own facilities. Would you be prepared to pay £25 / £30 for the same pitch without EHU. Any less and the club is loosing money.

Now in winter it would work. However, few are likely to opt for it then.

JVB66 replied on 06/07/2021 09:31

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:24 by SteveL

while meters are popular with long term sites abroad, theres no need for the Club to use them, merely offer the same pitch as now but with no plugging in allowed..and a juicy saving.

BB I don’t think that would be in the clubs best interest. Not in peak summer in any event. Typically at that time a pitch costs between £30 and £40 for two. In good weather I doubt that a great deal of electric is being used, although more currently as lots are using there own facilities. Would you be prepared to pay £25 / £30 for the same pitch without EHU. Any less and the club is loosing money.

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:31

As posted before,  when EHU was at an add cost to pitch prices, although most honest  members complied, any site staff from those days will say it was not uncommon for the ones who thought it did not apply to them , to run a lead to the bollard when they thought no one would noticeundecided

young thomas replied on 06/07/2021 09:46

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:24 by SteveL

Posted on 06/07/2021 09:46

Steve, certainly the requirement for electric varies across the year...

..but it seems ridiculous that we have a situation where site power usage/cost is ever rising (contributing) to higher site prices (Hilhead peak price almost £50, SP well over that....) yet more and more vans are being equipped to manage without it...

it could certainly be possible for the club to calculate prices differently, reflecting more accurately the average electric 'content' of the price at, say three portions of the year.....summer, winter, spring/autum.

rather than a blanket 'saving' the non ehu reduction would then be proportionate to what its costing each van in those three 'seasons'.

CC prices change with the day of the week and the direction of the wind, it also has a charge for SP which may vary across seasons (do more folk have showers in their vans when its cold and wet outside?) yet they apply a std year round surcharge.

it would be straight forward to include a non ehu saving of, say, £3 in summer, £5 in spring/autumn, and even £6-£7 in winter...or whatever the calculations come to...

not beyond the whit of man (CC?)...but the real question is, are customers and CC happy to continue allowing site prices to rise especially as more are starting to realse the potential in their vans...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook