Site Directory and Map 2017/2018

replied on 22/11/2016 08:19

Posted on 22/11/2016 08:19

You obviously don't look hard enough or don't consider >this< cheap. I bought one for my wife and I can assure you it has access to the internet and is simple to use. They are also available from many other sources, google Nokia 301.

peedee

I don't need to look hard for a phone. The one you show is far too big for me to wish to carry in my trouser pocket and, for me too small a screen for internet usage, Neither fidh nor foul as far as my wants. I have a small clam phone that cost me £10 a couple of years ago. It suits me so well that later bought another as a spare. I rarely use a mobile. Used to find out where OH is when we have gone seperate ways, to call breakdown or doctors etc. Emergency stuff. It is in my pocket at all times and because it is not a smart phone and heavy on battery use it needs charging about 3 times a month. Being small it is always on my person and so I am always contactable.

replied on 22/11/2016 08:32

Posted on 22/11/2016 08:32

According to Offcom 66% of the population in UK use the phone to access the internet. I suspect though that many would use it with apps to check the time of next bus etc or find walking directions in a town rather than general use. 

My eldest daughter has a smart phone which was giveb as a present. She finds it useful as she does a lot of short term jobs through agencies and can receive her e-mails on it. She does not generally use it for other than communication therefore. 

What she hates about it though is having to carry a handbag due to its size. 

young thomas replied on 22/11/2016 08:40

Posted on 22/11/2016 08:40

My Sony cost £35 and can access the internet although I do not use it. I use the internet as I feel appropriate but do feel many people overuse it and no longer consider what is the most appropriate method of communication.

Having said that I cannot think of anyone I know who does not use it to some extent even my 90 year old mother so the 95% figure might be right.

my parents (both 87) dont as my dad has too much to do caring for my mum.....but he understands the concept and i (or my sister) can do a quick enquiry for them when checking out prices....but hes more than happy with catalogues and books.

they use the red button on the tv, accessing 'pages from the ether...' so not unlike a slow early browser....

they are probably (almost! the only two i know who dont use the net regularly....

however, OH parents (10 yrs younger) both have ipads and are totslly comfortable with pretty much all aspects of browsing and messaging.

SteveL replied on 22/11/2016 08:45

Posted on 22/11/2016 08:45

Although of course my smartphone is substantially smaller then the sites directory, that we would otherwise have to cart about on our travels. Also so useful for the bird identification app, the wild flower app etc. Plus of course the very good quality camera and video, which saves carrying other equipment, unless I really need an optical zoom. I would think we use it more for non on line activities, than on line. Prefer the larger pad for that,

peedee replied on 22/11/2016 08:49

Posted on 22/11/2016 08:49

Nellie Google " numbers using the internet in the UK" its as high as 99 percent for 16 to 24 year olds.

peedee

correction, I should have said 99 percent for 16 to 44 year olds. The only person I know who does not use the internet is my 95 year old father in law.

peedee

replied on 22/11/2016 08:53

Posted on 22/11/2016 08:53

I know many folk that have smartphones. They mainly use them to recieve emails as far as internet usage goes.

SteveL replied on 22/11/2016 09:14

Posted on 22/11/2016 09:14

correction, I should have said 99 percent for 16 to 44 year olds. The only person I know who does not use the internet is my 95 year old father in law.

peedee

There are still quite a few on the church magazine circulation. It would make such ecomonic and environmental sense to go digital but not possible at the moment. Perhaps a gradual change in the future.

peedee replied on 22/11/2016 09:16

Posted on 22/11/2016 09:16

Although of course my smartphone is substantially smaller then the sites directory, that we would otherwise have to cart about on our travels. Also so useful for the bird identification app, the wild flower app etc. Plus of course the very good quality camera and video, which saves carrying other equipment, unless I really need an optical zoom. I would think we use it more for non on line activities, than on line. Prefer the larger pad for that,

I agree but when stuck, e.g. no free WiFi, I revert to using the phone. Things are only going to get easier. Virgin are introducing free hotspots for its broadband customers.Smile

peedee

HelenandTrevor replied on 22/11/2016 09:41

Posted on 22/11/2016 09:41

These days the mobile phone hardly get used for normal call or texts, keep in touch over the inet with viber, Google allo and duo for videos calls.

I do still like to use the site book and map though sometimes . 

SteveL replied on 22/11/2016 10:01

Posted on 22/11/2016 10:01

I agree but when stuck, e.g. no free WiFi, I revert to using the phone. Things are only going to get easier. Virgin are introducing free hotspots for its broadband customers.Smile

peedee

Yes more and more providers are giving you acces to hotspots as part of your contract. If you have an O2 contract you have access to fee hotspots with this. Or if you get your broadband from BT you have access to thousands both in this country and abroad. I wonder which ones virgin are buying into, as I doubt they will be setting up their own.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook