Caravanner of the Year on BBC this April!

RochelleCC replied on 14/04/2016 11:38

Posted on 14/04/2016 11:38

We are delighted to announce that our ‘Caravanner of the Year’ competition was filmed by the BBC and will be on BBC2 on 20 and 27 April!

We hope it gets you in the mood for getting out there and enjoying the summer season on our wonderful sites network.

The enthusiasts were faced with a variety of challenges covering activities such as manoeuvring, navigation, hospitality and caravanning knowledge.  There was also the precision challenge of the Concours D’Elegance which demanded much polishing and primping of their vehicles!

The first programme will introduce the entrants and whittle them down to the three finalists.

Tune in and watch, and don’t forget to tell your friends and family about it too!

Follow us on Twitter @CaravanClubCOTY and like our Facebook page Caravanner of the Year and don’t forget to use the hashtag! #caravanclubCOTY

Bakers2 replied on 31/05/2016 07:40

Posted on 31/05/2016 07:40

I noticed that it was being shown again last night, bank holiday Monday, so BBC pleased to have it as a 'filler'. Retreating now wearing my tin hat

Athel replied on 31/05/2016 18:06

Posted on 31/05/2016 18:06

I just watched it with my husband, we enjoyed it for what it was. 

OnlyJen replied on 03/06/2016 19:03

Posted on 03/06/2016 19:03

Well, 

Apart from the odd hiccup I thought both episodes were excellent and I hope it becomes a regular feature.

Well done everyone.

pass the  tin 'at?  Cool

cyberyacht replied on 05/06/2016 16:48

Posted on 05/06/2016 16:48

I was at a 70th birthday meal with a large group of friends yesterday and "that" programme was mentioned. Knowing I'm a caravanner the consensus was the same as the majority view on here - a matter of some derison.

countax replied on 05/06/2016 17:23

Posted on 05/06/2016 17:23

My wife and I have just erected our full size awning in 15 minutes;  from unpacking to pegs in ground. Not a single raised voice, difference of opinion or falling-out. 

Now, , my problem is this: does this make us eligible for next years competition? Has anyone on site seen our work and nominated us? Sincerely hope not! Happy

privateeye1962 replied on 17/09/2016 10:11

Posted on 17/09/2016 10:11

I haven't seen the programs yet so I will not judge them myself but the reason I've entered into this discussion is the fact that just in the last few weeks I've spoken to several non-caravanning friends who all saw the show. Everyone of them saw it as yet another stereotypical mocking of caravanners in the clichéd style of Clarkson et al. They saw it as comedy and yet another reason why none of them have any desire to become caravanners. Now if this was an independent production company making lowest common denominator television for the likes of Channel 5 their reaction would be acceptable. But the fact this was portrayed by the BBC and the Caravan Club as a serious competition means somewhere along the line they got it wrong. I want to see more people entering our hobby. I want to see caravanning becoming more popular not less. But when the Caravan Club itself is seen as reinforcing an outdated ridiculous view of caravanning then someone in the Club must surely be held to account. 

Navigateur replied on 17/09/2016 11:00

Posted on 17/09/2016 11:00

Who was that then?   Only "rear-ripping" I saw on the programme was some management **** destroying a loaned 'van.

Reminds me it is time we had seperate registration numbers for trailers so that they can be identified.  It could be some poor member on here who buys that seconhand!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook