Caravanner of the Year on BBC this April!

RochelleCC replied on 14/04/2016 11:38

Posted on 14/04/2016 11:38

We are delighted to announce that our ‘Caravanner of the Year’ competition was filmed by the BBC and will be on BBC2 on 20 and 27 April!

We hope it gets you in the mood for getting out there and enjoying the summer season on our wonderful sites network.

The enthusiasts were faced with a variety of challenges covering activities such as manoeuvring, navigation, hospitality and caravanning knowledge.  There was also the precision challenge of the Concours D’Elegance which demanded much polishing and primping of their vehicles!

The first programme will introduce the entrants and whittle them down to the three finalists.

Tune in and watch, and don’t forget to tell your friends and family about it too!

Follow us on Twitter @CaravanClubCOTY and like our Facebook page Caravanner of the Year and don’t forget to use the hashtag! #caravanclubCOTY

Sir Bruin replied on 02/05/2016 15:02

Posted on 02/05/2016 15:02

Anyone reading the derogatory comments about the contestants (who are fellow members) on this forum would get a far more negative impression of the club than they would from watching a light hearted programme

Pippy Louey replied on 02/05/2016 18:20

Posted on 02/05/2016 18:20

We just watched both programmes after fresh back from a lovely weekend away! Had many friends post to my Facebook page to ask "Pip are you going in for this next year?!" Saw the clips so knew it was a light hearted thing. Watched it, was in disbelief with a lot of it (the Chairman towing a caravan up a hill and ripping the back off) I did lean across to hubby and ask if they were 'half cut!' I have just towed for first time ever, and reversed round a T junction, had to persuade hubby to let me tow, not sure why so many men think women are not capable as I've seen lots of capable and incapable men and women. I did say to my husband, so glad I towed before I watched this as it would have seriously put me off!!! Anyway as the programme carried on I did chuckle and sigh and yell at the TV! By next week the programme will be forgotten about, TV editors are like the press, they want drama, they want a reaction, guess they got it. I've taken it with a pinch of salt, although only been caravanning for two years have met wonderful people, had a fabulous time talking to campers, caravanners, campers and wardens, really love it and how the BBC portray it has been a bit of a shame! 

Sir Bruin replied on 02/05/2016 19:20

Posted on 02/05/2016 19:20

I have not seen derogatory comments, only terrifying accurate ones.

"Wierdos", "Borderline certifiable"  I would not presume to attest to their accuracy, but I would consider them to be derogatory.

Solobay replied on 02/05/2016 22:41

Posted on 02/05/2016 22:41

Far too many people on here really need to take a chill pill! The programme was a hoot - it wasn't the Olympics. Many caravanners have their little idiosyncracies, look round any site - to most we accept them as such, some see them as something for ridicule. I've seen some things that folk do in their caravans which aren't my cup of tea, some make me cringe some make me laugh but as long as it flicks their switches who cares pretty sure I will have many of both - if you can't have a laugh them you shouldn't have joined. As for calling for heads on the block etc don't be ridiculous - much of the content of this thread will do more harn to new members than anything on that programme.By coincidence I met COTY John at the weekend - he and 15 other members of his makes group were at Garlieston and they were having a fab time. Lovely guy, keen to share stories and his future plans which would put some members here to shame in terms of miles and adventures. So settle down and enjoy the 15 minutes of fame as next week it will be something else designed to get viewers...

sailorgirl2 replied on 02/05/2016 22:54

Posted on 02/05/2016 22:54

Neoprene, then Lycra. So tell us about this clothing fetish then, Ian. Wink

Write your comments here...as long as you rememberr to roll your knickers and pack them in colour coded order you willbe accepted !!SG2

sailorgirl2 replied on 02/05/2016 22:57

Posted on 02/05/2016 22:57

Are people still going on about this ??, it was sooo last week , there must be something else we can rip apart Undecided

Write your comments here...BE WARNED if you do you could be blocked and removed from the blog,,,,,,,,,sg2

Tinwheeler replied on 02/05/2016 23:29

Posted on 02/05/2016 23:29

This thread seems to have taken a turn towards lambasting the contestants in several posts. They are fellow members of CC and we shouldn't be disrespectful to them. I feel sorry for them as I feel they were duped and sometimes made to look silly. It's CC, and GC in particular, I hold in contempt for letting it happen, not the competitors who may well be reading this thread and would be justified in reporting some posts.

carvanner100 replied on 03/05/2016 10:31

Posted on 03/05/2016 10:31

The contestants are not to blame, neither is the BBC , the BBC only broadcasted the programme. The program was produce by an independent television company ,which suggest it was probably the caravan clubs idea ,as such probably commission by the caravan club

The blame for the programme falls squarely on the caravan club ,and the members for voting in such individuals, to run the club 

The caravan club set the tests 

The caravan club choose the finalist 

The caravan clubs would have viewed the program before transmission 

The caravan club would have given its ok to transmit the programme ,as it was

The program is a window into the Caravan clubs, the image the club want to project of  ,caravanning, and it members in general  

Finally i would take all of those  contestants any day, over the many snotty, unsociable,  want nothing  to do with others on sites, which increasingly seems to becoming common 

19hutch39 replied on 03/05/2016 12:34

Posted on 03/05/2016 12:34

If the idea of the programme was to give an insight into caravanning and the enjoyment to be gained from it, I fear the Caravan Club may have made a big mistake. Many members will have been disappointed with the content of the two programmes and the impression given that we, the members,  are not quite sane.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook