Caravanner of the Year on BBC this April!

RochelleCC replied on 14/04/2016 11:38

Posted on 14/04/2016 11:38

We are delighted to announce that our ‘Caravanner of the Year’ competition was filmed by the BBC and will be on BBC2 on 20 and 27 April!

We hope it gets you in the mood for getting out there and enjoying the summer season on our wonderful sites network.

The enthusiasts were faced with a variety of challenges covering activities such as manoeuvring, navigation, hospitality and caravanning knowledge.  There was also the precision challenge of the Concours D’Elegance which demanded much polishing and primping of their vehicles!

The first programme will introduce the entrants and whittle them down to the three finalists.

Tune in and watch, and don’t forget to tell your friends and family about it too!

Follow us on Twitter @CaravanClubCOTY and like our Facebook page Caravanner of the Year and don’t forget to use the hashtag! #caravanclubCOTY

PRB46 replied on 30/04/2016 14:45

Posted on 30/04/2016 14:45

I agree with most of the comments posted on this subject. I actually turned the first programme off after watching the chairman ground and damage his caravan and seeming not to care. The Caravan Club should be ashamed of themselves being involved in this farce. The BBC programme has made a mockery of the Caravan Club and all of its members. I started to watch the second programme but when I saw a toy snake being thanked for its navigation skills I almost vomitted. Thanks Caravan Club for putting the perception of caravanning back years.

cyberyacht replied on 30/04/2016 16:11

Posted on 30/04/2016 16:11

This thread was initiated by a post extolling the benefits of viewing the programme. It shows the same level of judgement and competence as that of dealing with members.

To be fair, CY, I very much doubt it was Rochelle's idea to promote the program and it's pretty unlikely she would have known what it contained.

I'm sure it wasn't, rather a "company policy" thing, so my remarks remain pertinent.

Tinwheeler replied on 30/04/2016 16:35

Posted on 30/04/2016 16:35

This thread was initiated by a post extolling the benefits of viewing the programme. It shows the same level of judgement and competence as that of dealing with members.

To be fair, CY, I very much doubt it was Rochelle's idea to promote the program and it's pretty unlikely she would have known what it contained.

I'm sure it wasn't, rather a "company policy" thing, so my remarks remain pertinent.

Maybe they do remain pertinent but it did appear as if they were directed at Rochelle originally. Thanks for clarifying.

Martin3787 replied on 30/04/2016 16:39

Posted on 30/04/2016 16:39

Who in the Caravan club thought up the idea for the ridiculous Caravaner of the year  format and then canvassed the BBC to film it? It can only be described as huge public relations failure, reinforcing the publics perceptions of a frequent stereo typical view of caravaner! Just look at the viewings for Top Gear and Clarkson's interpretation and the recent media backlash to see how we are viewed. At the very least a public apology is owed to CC membership. All I can say is that the CC should get a professional public relations company in to try and put right what the CC management undid in 2 hrs of viewing. 

Spriddler replied on 30/04/2016 17:14

Posted on 30/04/2016 17:14

Aw, c'mon everyone! Surely none of you are taken in by the overload of any other of the 'Fly on the Wall' or 'Real Life' type progs, competitions or docusoaps. All except the Nine o'Clock News are produced for entertainment with scripted ad-libs from outrageous panel teams and participants and 'accidents' to titillate, generate controversy or provide chewing gum for the eyes, whilst desperately vying for viewing figures.

Even the weather presenters are choreographed these days.

I very much doubt that any non-caravanning people took it at all seriously.

eurortraveller replied on 30/04/2016 17:24

Posted on 30/04/2016 17:24

Well said Spriddler. It isn't being mentioned any more on other forums. It's over and finished. What is it with the Club members who are going on and on about it, continually expressing their outrage over and over again? It's all been said. 

Tinwheeler replied on 30/04/2016 17:52

Posted on 30/04/2016 17:52

Well said Spriddler. It isn't being mentioned any more on other forums. It's over and finished. What is it with the Club members who are going on and on about it, continually expressing their outrage over and over again? It's all been said. 

That's not surprising, Euro, as other forums aren't run by CC and aren't directly linked to the judge, who is also CC Chairman, and who made a spectacle of himself on the show.

ChefJim replied on 30/04/2016 17:53

Posted on 30/04/2016 17:53

The BBC programme has made a mockery of the Caravan Club and all of its members. We witness the Chairman of CC ripping the back end off a caravan and acting as though it's an everyday occurence, then in the second episode we see him traveling ' illegally' in the side facing seat, unrestrained in motor home. I do not have any confidence in the CC anymore following the antics of the main man.

T

Write your comments here...this was showing a blatant disregard to motoring law but at least it's on camera so come on what ever police force who wants to take it on, prosecute the passenger and the driver for allowing a person to be conveyed unrestrained in his vehicle.

ChefJim replied on 30/04/2016 17:56

Posted on 30/04/2016 17:56

We are just watching this now and I honestly don't know what the CC thought they would have to gain by participating in this.  The experiences and participants are like nothing I have experienced in my short time of caravanning.....including at Rallies.  This is honestly like something from the 1970s, no disrespect to that era but things have changed.  I mean.....competitors comparing it to how armed forces personnel must feel when going to War...just absolutely ridiculous.

Totally agree.  We are remembering WW1 100 years on with all sorts of events around the country. I thought this comment was an insult to any of those who stood awaiting the command to go  over the top.  Very very inappropriate.

Write your comments here...I can tell you from experience it feels nothing like when advancing into a contact, it's still firmly on my mind 34years on.

Spriddler replied on 30/04/2016 18:23

Posted on 30/04/2016 18:23

the judge, who is also CC Chairman, and who made a spectacle of himself on the show.

Exactly, Tinwheeler.

The Producer will have loved it and the Chairman was lining himself up to be in the next one.

Shame we haven't had the obligatory tears yet.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook