Caravanner of the Year on BBC this April!

RochelleCC replied on 14/04/2016 11:38

Posted on 14/04/2016 11:38

We are delighted to announce that our ‘Caravanner of the Year’ competition was filmed by the BBC and will be on BBC2 on 20 and 27 April!

We hope it gets you in the mood for getting out there and enjoying the summer season on our wonderful sites network.

The enthusiasts were faced with a variety of challenges covering activities such as manoeuvring, navigation, hospitality and caravanning knowledge.  There was also the precision challenge of the Concours D’Elegance which demanded much polishing and primping of their vehicles!

The first programme will introduce the entrants and whittle them down to the three finalists.

Tune in and watch, and don’t forget to tell your friends and family about it too!

Follow us on Twitter @CaravanClubCOTY and like our Facebook page Caravanner of the Year and don’t forget to use the hashtag! #caravanclubCOTY

gasman replied on 29/04/2016 20:47

Posted on 29/04/2016 20:47

what a load of sausage, never seen a program so ridiculous in my life, where are the competitors now going to go on holiday without getting ridiculed. Are they actually club members or are they actors from hi de hi 

Lansdorf replied on 29/04/2016 20:55

Posted on 29/04/2016 20:55

what a load of sausage, never seen a program so ridiculous in my life, where are the competitors now going to go on holiday without getting ridiculed. Are they actually club members or are they actors from hi de hi 

Write your comments here...I saw one of the pairs at the Harrogate Flower Show!

OnlyJen replied on 29/04/2016 20:58

Posted on 29/04/2016 20:58

In my opinion these two programmes,parts1&2 have set the Caravan Club back many years. 

I don't know about that 'eddietheeagle', Eddie the Eagle in the 1988 olympics didn't seem to do much harm to the continuation of ski jumping Happy

Correct, and how many BRITISH ski jumpers are there ?

That that would be, a whole NONE

Goodness, don't mention ski jumping...

The next thing we will see is Grenville towing a caravan down a ski slope.....

"oh look! Just ripped the a**e off another one Sealed"

Lansdorf replied on 29/04/2016 21:09

Posted on 29/04/2016 21:09

Are we doing something wrong?  We never make lists or plan a detailed route. 

Write your comments here...We have a list for hitching up and checking the security of the caravan locker doors etc. We are fairly new to the caravan world and l feel that we need to do this. Maybe when we are as experianced as you we can do away with the checklist.

Write your comments here...As I get older I find that I need to refer more often to the list. Top of the list; check the handbrake before you start disengaging the motor mover!

neveramsure replied on 29/04/2016 21:14

Posted on 29/04/2016 21:14

Are we doing something wrong?  We never make lists or plan a detailed route. 

Write your comments here...We have a list for hitching up and checking the security of the caravan locker doors etc. We are fairly new to the caravan world and l feel that we need to do this. Maybe when we are as experianced as you we can do away with the checklist.

Write your comments here...As I get older I find that I need to refer more often to the list. Top of the list; check the handbrake before you start disengaging the motor mover!

Yes and check that the handbrake is off before operating the mover.EmbarassedWink

eddietheeagle replied on 29/04/2016 21:38

Posted on 29/04/2016 21:38

In my opinion these two programmes,parts1&2 have set the Caravan Club back many years. 

I don't know about that 'eddietheeagle', Eddie the Eagle in the 1988 olympics didn't seem to do much harm to the continuation of ski jumping Happy

"oh look! Just ripped the a**e off another one Sealed

or"oh look!there goes another one"

cyberyacht replied on 29/04/2016 22:44

Posted on 29/04/2016 22:44

Hi have just noticed all the members that claimed it would be a good program to watch are suddenly quiet know,wonder why?

Steve

This thread was initiated by a post extolling the benefits of viewing the programme. It shows the same level of judgement and competence as that of dealing with members.

carvanner100 replied on 30/04/2016 07:44

Posted on 30/04/2016 07:44

Do not be silly, that is far to sensible a test Undecided

Tinwheeler replied on 30/04/2016 13:32

Posted on 30/04/2016 13:32

Hi have just noticed all the members that claimed it would be a good program to watch are suddenly quiet know,wonder why?

Steve

This thread was initiated by a post extolling the benefits of viewing the programme. It shows the same level of judgement and competence as that of dealing with members.

To be fair, CY, I very much doubt it was Rochelle's idea to promote the program and it's pretty unlikely she would have known what it contained.

Chattersandme replied on 30/04/2016 14:13

Posted on 30/04/2016 14:13

When I started watching I really thought it was a late April Fools, both parts of this programme where so cringeworthy I had members of my family texting me to take the p@ss!! It really should not have been promoted as COTY, this suggests the the contestants were the best the Club has to offer and must have re-inforced the general publics negative views of caravanners in general. The Chairmans participation in this programme would suggest to many that it had been made by The Caravan Club to promote caravanning and this misconception, I believe, is what has led to so many negative comments being made here. In my opinion the Club hierarchy should not have had an involvement in this show, as this is seen by the public as endorsement, and it should have been promoted as purely lighthearted 'entertainment'. As others have previously stated this programme has damaged the publics opinion of caravanning and caravanners by decades at a time when I think a lot of people were starting to take us seriously and some maybe even  a little envious of our life style

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook