Caravanner of the Year on BBC this April!

RochelleCC replied on 14/04/2016 11:38

Posted on 14/04/2016 11:38

We are delighted to announce that our ‘Caravanner of the Year’ competition was filmed by the BBC and will be on BBC2 on 20 and 27 April!

We hope it gets you in the mood for getting out there and enjoying the summer season on our wonderful sites network.

The enthusiasts were faced with a variety of challenges covering activities such as manoeuvring, navigation, hospitality and caravanning knowledge.  There was also the precision challenge of the Concours D’Elegance which demanded much polishing and primping of their vehicles!

The first programme will introduce the entrants and whittle them down to the three finalists.

Tune in and watch, and don’t forget to tell your friends and family about it too!

Follow us on Twitter @CaravanClubCOTY and like our Facebook page Caravanner of the Year and don’t forget to use the hashtag! #caravanclubCOTY

David2115 replied on 28/04/2016 08:07

Posted on 28/04/2016 08:07

I've been away so just watched first episode. Simple awful. what a way to sell a caravian lifestyle to the television viewers. Embarrassing. 

Bugs replied on 28/04/2016 08:21

Posted on 28/04/2016 08:21

The penny dropped for me when the contestant read out instructions for one task saying "you must arrive at the pub exactly 1 hour 47 minutes after leaving the rally"

Before that, I was having difficulty associating anything in the programme with my understanding of our hobby.

Maybe if they had called it "Caravan Rallier of the Year" - with an explanation up front of the difference between the activities that a relatively small number of ralliers get up to compared with the vast majority of CC members who don't rally?

Something like "what you are about to see is not what most caravanners (CC Members) would regard as normal activity when caravanning"

Bugs

Kennine replied on 28/04/2016 08:23

Posted on 28/04/2016 08:23

The penny dropped for me when the contestant read out instructions for one task saying "you must arrive at the pub exactly 1 hour 47 minutes after leaving the rally"

Before that, I was having difficulty associating anything in the programme with my understanding of our hobby.

Maybe if they had called it "Caravan Rallier of the Year" - with an explanation up front of the difference between the activities that a relatively small number of ralliers get up to compared with the vast majority of CC members who don't rally?

Something like "what you are about to see is not what most caravanners (CC Members) would regard as normal activity when caravanning"

Bugs

Write your comments here...+1

cyberyacht replied on 28/04/2016 08:24

Posted on 28/04/2016 08:24

I am becoming concerned that my critical faculties may be atrophying. After the first week's fiasco I thought this week wasn't too bad notwithstanding the obvious idiosyncracies of some of the contestants. Let's be honest, a few idiosyncracies are what add to the rich tapestry of life. Think steam train afficianados or plane spotters for instance. Not however truly representative of caravanning.

JVB66 replied on 28/04/2016 08:27

Posted on 28/04/2016 08:27

Bugs

..+ another one

Justus2 replied on 28/04/2016 08:29

Posted on 28/04/2016 08:29

One the grounds of health and safety. Why was the observer in the motorhome during the "economy run" sitting on a side facing seat without a seatbelt? Riding in the back of a motorhome like this is extremely dangerous and according to my understanding against the law. 

It did appear to be a side facing seat and therefore would not have a seat belt available. I thought it was particularly risky behaviour as the film evidence could potentially lead to a prosecution.Surprised

MJ730 replied on 28/04/2016 08:34

Posted on 28/04/2016 08:34

Bugs

Write your comments here...+ Another 1

EmilysDad replied on 28/04/2016 08:42

Posted on 28/04/2016 08:42

If you read the guidelines etc ,  your post complaining, and  criticizing the club, questioning the community manger, and champions  comments and decision, breaks a number of rules etc  

Be prepared to be  suspended. Hope what ever they suspend you by, it is not to painful Wink

I'd take it on the chin if I had done. I won't hold my breath for a reply of any kind.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook