Breakaway cable length

jennyc replied on 30/08/2016 09:37

Posted on 30/08/2016 09:37

Following a protracted discussion on Alko breakaway cable attachment directly to the towbar (current best practice) or to the towball (on older towbars) we learned that a stronger caribina was required for direct towbar connection. During the discussion we learned that, as a result, orders for the direct fixing cable were increased. We also learned that the direct fixing point should be within 10cm of the tow ball centre. However, Alko's direct fixing cable is the same length as the tow ball loop type, which means that it'll possibly sag onto the road, making it necessary to shorten it - How should this be achieved? Have the CC advised Alko of this anomaly in their product?

DSB replied on 30/08/2016 09:51

Posted on 30/08/2016 09:51

Hi Jenny.  I think I'm going to have to move this to the Towing section now.  This section is just for archived discussions and therefore you won't get an 'official' response now as the 'expert' is no longer on line.  Hope this will help.

Best wishes 

David 

KENNYG replied on 30/08/2016 10:05

Posted on 30/08/2016 10:05

Hi Jenny I to perched a new cable and as you say it drags on the floor the only way I found to rectify to put a loose loop into the cable before attaching I don't know if this is correct or not.

jennyc replied on 30/08/2016 11:04

Posted on 30/08/2016 11:04

Hi Kenny, we looped ours under the A frame too, in a wide loop held with insulating tape because we are afraid that if it kinks or knots when operated in an emergency, it might fail to function properly. The current situation seems unsatisfactory to us. I'd hoped for an expert view from the CC but I've been moved to a mainstream thread - where's the CC when I need them

compass362 replied on 30/08/2016 11:22

Posted on 30/08/2016 11:22

Hi Kenny, we looped ours under the A frame too, in a wide loop held with insulating tape because we are afraid that if it kinks or knots when operated in an emergency, it might fail to function properly. The current situation seems unsatisfactory to us. I'd hoped for an expert view from the CC but I've been moved to a mainstream thread - where's the CC when I need them

Write your comments here..www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/Breakaway-Cables.html , hope this helps , I cannot find any information regarding a standard cable length , of all cables available they all appear to be of various sizes.

jennyc replied on 30/08/2016 12:11

Posted on 30/08/2016 12:11

Thanks Compass. We don't have a problem sourcing a cable, we've already bought a replacement Alko one which is designed for direct coupling. It seems that using a third party cable might be less than ideal because their carabiner strength is an unknown value, whereas the Alko one is designed for the job. So regardless of third party length we need Alko to supply one which is fit for the job. Too long isn't fit for purpose.

EmilysDad replied on 30/08/2016 12:45

Posted on 30/08/2016 12:45

..... Too long isn't fit for purpose.

I'd have thought that too long would be better than too short ..... you don't want the caravan handbrake being applied when turning.

jennyc replied on 30/08/2016 13:34

Posted on 30/08/2016 13:34

Too long, which is the current situation risks it hanging down and wearing through on the road. I don't want a cable which is too long or too short, I want one the right length.

EmilysDad replied on 30/08/2016 16:20

Posted on 30/08/2016 16:20

Too long, which is the current situation risks it hanging down and wearing through on the road. I don't want a cable which is too long or too short, I want one the right length.

Some things in life need to be all things to all men Kiss If ALKO shortened it for you, then someone else would complain that it's too short .... can please some people all of the time etc etc. Perhaps, cable tie a loop in it Undecided or cable tie it to the 13pin/12N/12S cable

jennyc replied on 30/08/2016 21:05

Posted on 30/08/2016 21:05

Some things in life need to be all things to all men Kiss If ALKO shortened it for you, then someone else would complain that it's too short .... can please some people all of the time etc etc. Perhaps, cable tie a loop in it Undecided or cable tie it to the 13pin/12N/12S cable

Write your comments here...

Actually that's not true. Alko make the cable for their chassis and hitch, so that will be the same for everyone, then we learn that the regulation for the attachment point is within 10cm of the ball, which is the same for everyone. So there's no question of too long for some, too short for another.

CBRBlackbird replied on 30/08/2016 21:09

Posted on 30/08/2016 21:09

On my Lunar (which is an Alko chassis/hitch) there is a hole in the end of the chassis rails (where the hitch head attaches) through which the cable passed.This keeps the cable off the floor.

The cable is fairly rigid and with van attached, both the original and replacement cable appears a little too long for my set-up (Witter fixed towbar with connection hole immediately behind the tow ball)

I have not done anything with this cable but on the previous van I made a small loop in the cable close to the hand-brake attachment and held it in place with a couple of very light weight cable ties. Engineer never commented on it when servicing the van.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook