How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

brue replied on 08/10/2017 18:24

Posted on 08/10/2017 18:24

Out of interest regarding towing with this type of car, approval has to go through first (homologation) including the design and fitting of an appropriate tow bar. The chassis is aluminium and the car is part carbon fibre, part polycarbonate. The battery is much the same as a conventional engine in weight. The car should be capable of towing (we hope...wink)

Meanwhile our motorhome seems a bit heavy on the fuel now! It will be good to see new developments in this area. 

Since I am not the techie one in our family, I first have to get to grips with all these new concepts myself, but I'm getting there. smile

Merve replied on 10/10/2017 19:52

Posted on 10/10/2017 19:52

Well, whatever the technology breakthroughs in the future, we will still have to transport food, clothes, and everything else we use in a modern society so I hope they can get pantecnicans running on batteries- if they do, us lot should have no difficulties! 

hallagather replied on 17/10/2017 18:48

Posted on 17/10/2017 18:48

solar panel help looking at a 150wt solar panel the folding type like a suit case with the solar controller attached to the solar panel with alligator clips to attach to the battery question is i have a 50wt panel which the controller is in the caravan which i attach it to the battery with mc4 connectors could i use them at the same time making it a 200wt power

thanks in advance

Boff replied on 17/10/2017 20:09

Posted on 17/10/2017 20:09

Yes why not?

Croc clips aren't imho great for connecting to a battery I would be temped to make a permanent connection at the battery and get something like an Anderson plug to attach the panel even if it means moving the controller 150W panel is quite a big beast to handle

cyberyacht replied on 18/10/2017 07:02

Posted on 18/10/2017 07:02

Check whether your existing controller has sufficient capacity to handle the extra panel. It will probably need upgrading.

Boff replied on 18/10/2017 07:57

Posted on 18/10/2017 07:57

Fair point Cyberyacht.

I was envisaging moving the controller from the panel inside of the van. For 200W of panel you need to have a 15amp controller.  I used a 10amp controller with a 135w panel for years without any issues. 

hallagather replied on 18/10/2017 15:41

Posted on 18/10/2017 15:41

hi thanks for your advice the 150wt suit case panel has its own solar controller on the back of the solar panel and i have separate controller in the van for the 50wt panel which i connect with mc4 the anderson plug sounds a good idea so would i be able to use them at the same time?

Merve replied on 22/10/2017 20:19

Posted on 18/10/2017 15:41 by hallagather

hi thanks for your advice the 150wt suit case panel has its own solar controller on the back of the solar panel and i have separate controller in the van for the 50wt panel which i connect with mc4 the anderson plug sounds a good idea so would i be able to use them at the same time?

Posted on 22/10/2017 20:19

Not sure hallagather but I can’t see a problem. However, a 150 w suitcase Panel should be adequate in most circumstances- mine is 135w roof mounted and that provides all we need. Yours can be directed at the sun all day long if you wanted too. Remember- Batteries in good condition are just as important as SPs. 

replied on 20/11/2017 19:35

Posted on 20/11/2017 19:35

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Merve replied on 28/11/2017 20:58

Posted on 28/11/2017 20:58

Well, I have put the van down for winter and got her ready for a service. We had a fabulous summer visiting North Norfolk, Wales, Dorset, Lake District and then back to Wales. Then we took the van up to Scotland to visit a new arrival- Rita, my thirteenth Grandchild. Scotland saw me on EHU as we were inside a large agricultural shed! Just have to be careful about the waste overflowing! (It didn’t) It was nice to have but very little difference to non EHU caravanning. We still space heated and water heated by gas as we didn’t want to use their electricity unnecessarily. All in all another highly successful year off grid!! 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook