How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

caravanerkarl replied on 09/08/2017 12:34

Posted on 04/08/2017 11:51 by wye

Iam very pleased to report that Toomey of Rochford Essex will now allow

Safefill  refills !cool

Posted on 09/08/2017 12:34

That's handy as that just round the corner for me and may help sway me to Safefill.

Can I ask where you got your information?

Merve replied on 10/08/2017 17:07

Posted on 10/08/2017 17:07

In the Lakes and set up on a non EHU site and we are the only van. Been into Penrith after consulting mylpg.eu. Ullswater Road Garage, Penrith allows Safefill. - topped my 20lt cylinder up with 13.3lts - £7.71 - oh I do love my Safefills!! The Safefill map is not up to date. Mylpg.eu are taking over Safefills map and are keeping it up to date and putting info that particular sites are Safefill friendly sites. I would suggest that this site be visited if you are looking for refilling. 

caravanerkarl replied on 10/08/2017 21:13

Posted on 10/08/2017 21:13

So now I have confirmed that a local filling station will fill Safefill I will be investing in a 10ltr in the morning, plus I have just acquired a 1500/3000w inverter so that completes the kit shame I don't have the weight for another battery but the 100amp will have to do.

Merve replied on 11/08/2017 08:37

Posted on 11/08/2017 08:37

That's fantastic Karl. You won't regret it. I still remember the day I first bought a Safefill cylinder - I just couldn't believe the money I was saving!   If you are worried about weight, Would the towcar carry the battery? Could you not wire it in when you arrive on site? You could wire the tails in ready to accept it? Or are you sticking to one battery? Are you wiring your inverter through a 12v relay to switch so that you can switch it off and kill it completely when it's not in use? Please post your progress with your project - I would love to know how you get on (and what you think about it) and I'm sure all the others would too. Good luck.

caravanerkarl replied on 11/08/2017 23:01

Posted on 11/08/2017 23:01

Was thinking about how to wire it in, would like to wire it into the existing mains, but need to be able to switch it out so when the wife goes away and she wants the EHU then I would not need to do too much to stop the 240v feeding the wrong way into the inverter.

i could carry another battery but one will do for the moment, I do have another 85amp in the shed if I wanted a spare, but see how we go as we don't do more than 5 days away at a time yet.

young thomas replied on 12/08/2017 08:38

Posted on 12/08/2017 08:38

you can make this as simple or complicated as you wish.....

my batteries are in the centre of the van, under the floor and the inverter is mounted in tne same hatch.

one socket is available at that point (this spurs off to the Sky HD box which is installed under the adjacent seat) and an extension is run rearwards to the garage to provide power for our electric bike battery chargers.

other installations do have relays which use the output of the inverter as the input to the whole 240v system, once the inverter is switched on.

i dont know exactly where this feed is made (in lieu of the one from the bollard) but received wisdom is that it should NOT be by manually feeding the external EHU socket as, amongst other things, you will be trying to charge your batteries via an inverter from the same (but depleting) batteriesfrown

Boff replied on 12/08/2017 12:55

Posted on 12/08/2017 12:55

So we turned up to our site last night a CL nr Crieccieth, Penralt Bach.  This is a new CL and when we enquired a couple of months ago The owners had said it wasn't open because they haven't had time to instal ehu.  Told them didn't matter and they said ok.  Anyway turn up yesterday and they have installed 2 ehu points which are occupied.   We pitch and the man from one of the vans came out and said you realise that there is no ehu that side of the field.  No problem we say and pitch up.  Later on we are talking to the owners and they said once they have advertised ehu they are getting plenty phone calls and bookings.  

Now for the sad part we are paying £7 per night if we had electric it is £14 per night.  The sad part is not that the landowner is charging that, it is the fact that there is the demand to be charged double for something you don't need this time of year. Spent last night watching TV and the battery is now fully charged and that is in dull showery conditions.  People are throwing money away through ignorance

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook