How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

catherinef replied on 24/07/2017 10:34

Posted on 24/07/2017 10:34

A quick question on Safefill.  We have a calorlite fitted at the moment.  Will our regulator fit or do we need something different?

Boff replied on 24/07/2017 12:33

Posted on 24/07/2017 12:33

It will fit.  It is same connection (POL) We have a safefill and a Calorlite and use them interchangably

Boff replied on 24/07/2017 12:43

Posted on 24/07/2017 10:14 by catherinef

Next question then chaps.  Should I worry when I'm seeing over 13 V on screen?

Also am I correct in reading that the Alde pump is low  power consumption and there is no reason for not having the heating on if it's cold like it was on Saturday.

The good news is we are hoping the dealer is sending someone later today/tomorrow and we hope it's just a loose connection at the back of the psu.

Posted on 24/07/2017 12:43

Should you worry about 13v no.  Some chargers will actually overcharge at 15v or so occasionally to desuphate the battery plates. 13v is a surface charge and if you disconnect the battery from the charger it will over a few hours drop to 12.6-12.7 volts.

A comment; don't get to hung up about exact voltages.  If yours settles down at 12.5 volts or 12.8v don't worry about it.  If it is 11v or 17v then obviously worry. 

Re the Alde heating, if you are cold then switch it on that's what it's there for.  Of course like the fridge it will work better on gas than electric.   Going off ehu isn't about roughing it in my book.  

young thomas replied on 24/07/2017 13:01

Posted on 24/07/2017 13:01

Boff, as Cath is currently without 240v (i believe this is correct), the 13v may be the charge voltage from her solar panel....nice sunny day here.

Boff replied on 24/07/2017 13:42

Posted on 24/07/2017 13:42

You could well be correct BB

I have just looked at my controllers manual ( Sunsaver duo). The charging voltage for a flooded battery is 14.4v and 13.7v for the float charge.  

So 13V nothing to worry about.  

catherinef replied on 24/07/2017 15:19

Posted on 24/07/2017 15:19

Thank you to everyone for their thoughts, I've found it quite fascinating.  The caravan dealer sent out an engineer this lunchtime and 240V has been restored.  

It took him about 7 minutes to dismantle the cover surrounding the PSU and 7 seconds to fix the problem.  In a nutshell there was an orange cable with a white connector that was completely out of the back of the PSU.   

The suspicion is that as the motor mover was fitted after the PDI was done, that the cable had been disturbed or even perhaps removed and not put back in securely.  

Merve replied on 24/07/2017 19:18

Posted on 24/07/2017 19:18

Thanks Chris. This is on a different thread but you're right - great times ahead for those of us who have embraced Safefill and are not slaves to the orange umbilical!! 

Merve replied on 24/07/2017 19:23

Posted on 24/07/2017 12:43 by Boff

Should you worry about 13v no.  Some chargers will actually overcharge at 15v or so occasionally to desuphate the battery plates. 13v is a surface charge and if you disconnect the battery from the charger it will over a few hours drop to 12.6-12.7 volts.

A comment; don't get to hung up about exact voltages.  If yours settles down at 12.5 volts or 12.8v don't worry about it.  If it is 11v or 17v then obviously worry. 

Re the Alde heating, if you are cold then switch it on that's what it's there for.  Of course like the fridge it will work better on gas than electric.   Going off ehu isn't about roughing it in my book.  

Posted on 24/07/2017 19:23

How true Boff how true. The ALDE pump takes I.2 Amps or something like that. Very small drain. Keep warm and love it!

Merve replied on 24/07/2017 19:32

Posted on 24/07/2017 08:15 by catherinef

Thanks Boff,  as this is a new 1st time experience this is all new to us.  Whilst it's not perfect I guess it helps us learn even more about our caravan.  If you'd have asked me last week I'd have not known a fully charged battery was 12.6/12.7.

The firidge/freezer is absolutely amazing running on gas, the freezer is so cold we get ice cold vapour coming out of it.  I've actually turned it down a notch.

Going forward I'm looking at Safefill especially with the demise of the calorlite.

Posted on 24/07/2017 19:32

Well done Cath. Looking at the thread it would appear that everything is working OK and your non EHU adventure is good to go- and your idea about Safefill is extremely sound. I hope you are aware of the excitement surrounding Safefill at the moment. There is a thread ' A milestone is reached' in  Caravan and Motorhome Chat. The one thing that stood out for me is when Boff said non EHU isn't about roughing it! We have just had 3 weeks with 4 adults and two small children and we were very comfortable thank you very much! Safefill and the SP working together looked after us admirably and not an orange cable in sight or on site!! 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook