How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Bakers2 replied on 18/07/2017 09:16

Posted on 18/07/2017 09:16

Bolero Boy vans in storage so no chance of checking 😔.mind you if we get rain, they keep forecasting but it doesn't arrive, there will be a trip and I'll do it myself. If not apparently there's access to buses or the entire balloon festival for food outlets. And no fish and chips or take away won't cut it 😂😂😂😂😂.

Reason for visit after rain is resealing of bathroom skylight, was a slight dribble when we last had decent rain which hopefully has now been sorted. 😉

brue replied on 18/07/2017 09:33

Posted on 18/07/2017 09:33

I don't think you'll starve or die of thirst at the balloon fiesta. wink There's a permanent cafe in the Ashton Court yard if you want a walk away from some of the crowds.

Thanks for the info Boff, we don't always carry two bottles but that will be music to OH's ears.

Bakers2 replied on 18/07/2017 11:02

Posted on 18/07/2017 11:02

Agreed Brue if I thought there was any chance of it being a problem. IT would be resolved before hand. Have to let them have enough rope 😂😂.

Boff is automatic switch over widely available? Asking out of interest as I don't expect well need one 😉

Boff replied on 18/07/2017 14:07

Posted on 18/07/2017 14:07

I think that most dealers sell them.  If you follow this link from ebay you will see what they look like Cavagna changeover regulator.  Gaslow also do just the head to which you need to add the regulator but it costs the same price.  It is my second favourite gadget after the solar panel 

Merve replied on 18/07/2017 17:22

Posted on 17/07/2017 22:06 by Hedgehurst

I've just re-learned the importance of checking and re-checking things actually work... we'd planned our first non-EHU weekend this w/e just past, turned up with our solar panel, (which does work), and discovered that while the gas fridge did light last November when the dealer showed us, it doesn't do so now. Not even with the gas turned on, and the cooker using the same gas pipe working happily away.
Ah well, we were lucky the nice  site warden managed to find an available power line for us. Just hoping we can get it sorted before the next trip, where EHU isn't an option!

Posted on 18/07/2017 17:22

Took us some time to get the fridge on this time away hedge but got it going in the end. There can be a problem sometimes with air in the pipe and I wonder if this is sometimes the problem. If a fridge runs on gas. It's always a good idea to remember to get it serviced regularly- the last thing you need is it burning inefficiently and causing soot and worse- carbon monoxide. The CO alarm stays on the floor at all times when we are away. 

Pippah45 replied on 18/07/2017 20:01

Posted on 18/07/2017 20:01

My first attempt at the gas fridge with my new to me caravan - led me to call the dealership techies.  Their advice has helped on many occasions and it was to switch the Fridge to battery and to Electric (even though neither will work) then attempt the gas ignite.  Last time out I did this three times before the gas stayed lit.  Of course it also helps if the caravan is reasonably level! 

triky auto replied on 18/07/2017 21:19

Posted on 18/07/2017 20:01 by Pippah45

My first attempt at the gas fridge with my new to me caravan - led me to call the dealership techies.  Their advice has helped on many occasions and it was to switch the Fridge to battery and to Electric (even though neither will work) then attempt the gas ignite.  Last time out I did this three times before the gas stayed lit.  Of course it also helps if the caravan is reasonably level! 

Posted on 18/07/2017 21:19

undecided Sometimes it can be quicker if you run the gas through using the cooker or heater to expel any air in the system. 

Boff replied on 18/07/2017 21:43

Posted on 18/07/2017 21:19 by triky auto

undecided Sometimes it can be quicker if you run the gas through using the cooker or heater to expel any air in the system. 

Posted on 18/07/2017 21:43

I agree. Lighting a couple of gas rings can help

Paradoxically it is also possible to have too much gas and it won't light. I find that starting the spark before the gas can help. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook