How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Pippah45 replied on 12/07/2017 17:35

Posted on 12/07/2017 17:35

While I agree that LED bulbs are a good saving I think we need to assess how many lights we actually turn on at this time of year.  It would be a real waste of my money to go all LED so I just have the two reading ones and above the sink.  I seldom turn on the bathroom light so haven't changed them.  I do keep a rechargeable torch handy for searching cupboards though!  

Boff replied on 12/07/2017 19:35

Posted on 12/07/2017 17:35 by Pippah45

While I agree that LED bulbs are a good saving I think we need to assess how many lights we actually turn on at this time of year.  It would be a real waste of my money to go all LED so I just have the two reading ones and above the sink.  I seldom turn on the bathroom light so haven't changed them.  I do keep a rechargeable torch handy for searching cupboards though!  

Posted on 12/07/2017 19:35

I don't disagree with you.  I would merely say that there are in my mind three aspect to having 12v electricity, these are generation, storage and use I think that they need to be kept in balance   The temptation is to go for ever greater generation, but sometimes it might make sense rather than getting an ever bigger panel to look at ways of reducing usage   Of course in the summer you use very little lighting and if you are going away just for a weekend probably all you need is a charged battery nothing else.  No solar panel no LED's.   In December and January the situation might be different  

Hedgehurst replied on 12/07/2017 20:32

Posted on 12/07/2017 17:35 by Pippah45

Posted on 12/07/2017 20:32

We've just swapped ours, but not the bathroom, largely because we couldn't work out a way of getting the possibly now brittle 17 yr old plastic cover off - we just hope that the bulb it arrived with never never goes!

And we're on an 80W folding panel at present, as we don't have a lot of things other than lights and pumps to draw from the battery.

Richard

young thomas replied on 16/07/2017 15:16

Posted on 16/07/2017 15:16

just filled Gaslow (large size 11kg/22ltr) after 11 days (5 a fortnight ago and 6 this week) on non ehu THS sites.

guage showing almost empty, but am very skeptical of these so a top up is always the best way to check usage.

tank took 11ltr (so only half empty) at the frightening cost of £6.40...around 60p a day for cooking, hot water and fridge.

a calor refill of the same volume would be around £25.

even at calor prices this is only around £2.30 a day which is significantly less than the approx £4 charge made by CCC for an EHU pitch (probably mirrored by other organisations to recoup leccy/bollard costs).

so, either a huge saving on gas in its own right, or a decent saving on site fees should you choose a non-ehu option (even using Calor) or even more on a specific non-ehu event like a rally/THS etc..

..or all these benefits with cheap gas on a cheap THS site.

lovely jubbly, lolwink

Hedgehurst replied on 17/07/2017 22:06

Posted on 17/07/2017 22:06

I've just re-learned the importance of checking and re-checking things actually work... we'd planned our first non-EHU weekend this w/e just past, turned up with our solar panel, (which does work), and discovered that while the gas fridge did light last November when the dealer showed us, it doesn't do so now. Not even with the gas turned on, and the cooker using the same gas pipe working happily away.
Ah well, we were lucky the nice  site warden managed to find an available power line for us. Just hoping we can get it sorted before the next trip, where EHU isn't an option!

Bakers2 replied on 17/07/2017 22:30

Posted on 17/07/2017 22:30

Oh Hedgehurst I do hope that doesn't happen to us next month 😲😲. We're off grid for the first time in a while, I suggested to hubby to check fridge on gas - I was informed no need I've checked pilot light lights. We did discuss further 😉 but no other checks were carried out. If it doesn't work he's gonna find it a very expensive few days lol.

brue replied on 17/07/2017 22:41

Posted on 17/07/2017 22:41

Hearing the fridge click onto gas is a relief....hearing the gas run out at 12.30 am not quite such a relief (just happened to us.) Spare bottle essential and good torch for early hours connecting.....wink

replied on 17/07/2017 22:44

Posted on 17/07/2017 22:44

I woke some 8 nights ago at 3am to that scenario! Could have left it until getting up time but was awake anyway

Boff replied on 18/07/2017 00:35

Posted on 17/07/2017 22:41 by brue

Hearing the fridge click onto gas is a relief....hearing the gas run out at 12.30 am not quite such a relief (just happened to us.) Spare bottle essential and good torch for early hours connecting.....wink

Posted on 18/07/2017 00:35

Get yourself an autochange over regulator, worrying about gas running out in the.middle of the night becomes a distant memory. 

young thomas replied on 18/07/2017 08:56

Posted on 17/07/2017 22:30 by Bakers2

Oh Hedgehurst I do hope that doesn't happen to us next month 😲😲. We're off grid for the first time in a while, I suggested to hubby to check fridge on gas - I was informed no need I've checked pilot light lights. We did discuss further 😉 but no other checks were carried out. If it doesn't work he's gonna find it a very expensive few days lol.

Posted on 18/07/2017 08:56

B2, if you have access to the van, always worth spending a minute or two just to finish the test off and see the fridge fully alight.

best to find out now than on arrival....wink

one of the real advantages of having the van on the drive is that any mods can be tested here prior to leaving for site...

i realise what a pain it can be having to collect van from storage, or even do work at the storage site....our pals have no room at home and even loading/unloading can be a pain.

good luck with your venture 'into the wilds'smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook