How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 10/06/2017 19:33

Posted on 10/06/2017 07:29 by young thomas

Merve, C&CC structure their prices from the bottom up....

basic grass pitch

add hs

add ehu

add hs and ehu

add hs, ehu and water/drainage (super pitch)

from memory, adding ehu is £4.25 over the basic price, currently.

so, a £30 a week saving against CC where this flexibility is only available at a very few of their sites.

Posted on 10/06/2017 19:33

Thanks mate for that. I only joined the C&CC this last Feb at the show, So I haven't really got up to speed with them. Have sorted out a few CS's and that's all. Fancy the C&CC being more competitive than the CC? Who would have thought such a thing not that it will ever concern me as I don't use club sites unless on a voucher. 

Tammygirl replied on 26/06/2017 19:45

Posted on 26/06/2017 19:45

Just completed 8 weeks away with our m/h, first trip with Gaslow system fitted. Refilled the bottle at a fuel station in Zeebrugge it took 5 litres @ 35 cents a litre, worked out a really expensive fill up 1.75€ laughinglaughinglaughing

young thomas replied on 26/06/2017 20:09

Posted on 26/06/2017 20:09

TG, you gotta love it.....smile

as we were doing a five day trip 'sans le hookup' i thought i'd fill up with gas..less than £4wink

young thomas replied on 26/06/2017 20:10

Posted on 10/06/2017 19:33 by Merve

Thanks mate for that. I only joined the C&CC this last Feb at the show, So I haven't really got up to speed with them. Have sorted out a few CS's and that's all. Fancy the C&CC being more competitive than the CC? Who would have thought such a thing not that it will ever concern me as I don't use club sites unless on a voucher. 

Posted on 26/06/2017 20:10

Merve, keep an eye out in the back of the CCC mag for the THS meets, might be right up your street.

Tammygirl replied on 26/06/2017 22:14

Posted on 26/06/2017 20:09 by young thomas

TG, you gotta love it.....smile

as we were doing a five day trip 'sans le hookup' i thought i'd fill up with gas..less than £4wink

Posted on 26/06/2017 22:14

Can't knock it can you, the same amount using Calor would have been £11.50, surprised only a £10 saving smile Of course we were on sites so very little gas used, we will get there one day doing THS's and Aires might even get in a few wild camping nights up North.

1Tracey1 replied on 03/07/2017 18:46

Posted on 03/07/2017 18:46

Battery charging advice

I have noticed that my battery doesn't seem to charge was well as it did.  It is a 3 year old Numax 110.  We have a battery indicator on our caravan and it used to go between 14.5 and 11.5 on this.  However the last two weekends we have been off grid we have not really been able to got it above the 12 and a bit on the indicator indicator.  I'm trying to figure if it is the battery or an issue with the solar panel.

Confession time....I did run over half of our solar panels (stupid me) the time before last so our panel level has gone from either 160w to 80w or 140w to 70 (cannot remember which we had.  We now have only half the panel we had but it does charge as a the light shows on the controller.  However, on a sunny day the solar panel used to fully charge the battery within about 3 hours.  We were out all day yesterday so nothing was used, it was pretty sunny most of the day yet the battery couldn't get over 12.  

I think however, the issue is probably the battery.  Our caravan is in storage and for a variety of reasons, we have only been out 3 times since Xmas.  I am thinking that I have probably damaged the batters as it's charge has just ran down due to it not being used.  I have borrowed a battery charger from my neighbour and am charging it now.  (I know nothing about cars/batteries/electrics and haven't caravaned that long so didn't really think to take it out).

We go away for a week (non EHU) in two weeks time and I cannot decide whether to buy a new solar panel/a new battery or, if it charges to full off my neighbours battery charger, just buy a charger and charge it if it needs it. I wondered what advice you folks would give.  Also, what does it mean when a CL says battery charging facilities?

Sorry for the epic posts but you guys give great advice.

Boff replied on 04/07/2017 08:08

Posted on 04/07/2017 08:08

I'm no expert but I would guess it is your battery as well.   If it is not getting above 12v it might be a cell in the battery has failed.   I would of thought a 70w panel should cope this time of year.   Was the panel totally destroyed?   The first one I bought was delivered with the glass crazed. The supplier replaced it and told me to bin it   But I checked it and it did give an output so I kept it and used it occasionally with the good one. 

My steps would be take the battery out and take it somewhere who can test it.  I think most garages can do this, even Halfords.  Then I suspect you need to replace the battery, my experience is not at your local caravan dealer.  

Then replace the solar panel ( you know you want to)

Then buy a battery charger always comes in handy. See my post in the cTek vs Numax thread for why.  Aldi and Lidl sell battery chargers for less than £15.00 from time to time.  They are cheap and they work. 

Finally enjoy your holiday. 

Edit a CL with charging facilities ? Means very often nothing more than access to a plug to plug in your charger.  I had a battery fail and it went from fully charged to flat in about 30 minutes so it time to throw it out and buy a new one.  

1Tracey1 replied on 04/07/2017 21:55

Posted on 04/07/2017 21:55

Thank you Boff.  We have managed to charge the battery with a battery charger so will see how it goes but I expect to need to buy a new battery whilst we are away.

Our solar panel was the type that fold in half.  I literally ran straight over half of it (luckily no damage to car) but smashed glass and bent frame on panel.  We took it apart and the intact half appears to be working but we go off grid a lot so i'll probably invest in another soon.

As we keep our caravan in storage I was thinking about getting this and just leaving it at the front of the caravan whilst it was in storage. Do people thing this would work to keep the battery ticking over ? I'm thinking of something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5w-Solar-Panel-c-w-10A-Charger-Controller-3m-Cable-fuse-for-12v-Batttery-UK-/321392833748?epid=875642303&hash=item4ad48174d4:g:0u8AAOSwuTxV~E7x

I'm thinking the worst that could happen is it gets stolen (hopefully not) but if it does it's not that expensive.

Boff replied on 05/07/2017 08:17

Posted on 05/07/2017 08:17

Tracey a knackered battery will apparently charge it just won't hold any charge.

A folding panel is simply 2 panels hinged to together and wired together.  So there is absolutely no reason for the surviving half not to work

The panel you have linked is only 5w it is a bit chocolate teapot imho maybe it is time to bite,the bullet and consider having a fixed panel installed on the roof?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook