How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Boff replied on 05/06/2017 07:25

Posted on 05/06/2017 07:25

Kevlon.  What you need to take into account is when is your Caravanning  season?   If you go away May, June and July then you are not presenting your system with that much of a challenge.  I would of thought that one battery is adequate.  I guess you have proved that to yourself.  I assume after 3 days away your battery was fully charged rather than being on its last legs?  Chances are that your battery is fully by about 10am.

It is a different situation if you like us go away for 4 nights over New Year.  In that case I found with our roof mounted panel I don't see the voltage start to rise until about 9 30 and stops after about 2pm.  It is only between those times when the sun is actually high enough for it to strike the solar panel.  I have 2 batteries fitted in parallel for that situation.  I accept that I am running at a debt in the sense that the batteries are at a lower state of charge at the end of the stay than at the beginning.   TBH this year I actually charged one of the batteries during the stay, but I think that it would have Lasted without.  I might fit a free standing panel to augment the fixed panel for use in the depths of winter but then again for consecutive weekends away the current setup works  during the depths of winter. 

kevlon replied on 05/06/2017 08:08

Posted on 05/06/2017 08:08

Boff

I think it's fair to say that you are dealing with the extremes regarding your active season whereas the majority of users mothball their system throughout the winter months. We usually start around April through until October. My aim is to tailor my system to my needs (as you are). I feel the important issue is to convince those who are undecided about the benefits and relatively low costs involved in in installing a solar system.

Boff replied on 05/06/2017 08:40

Posted on 05/06/2017 08:08 by kevlon

Boff

I think it's fair to say that you are dealing with the extremes regarding your active season whereas the majority of users mothball their system throughout the winter months. We usually start around April through until October. My aim is to tailor my system to my needs (as you are). I feel the important issue is to convince those who are undecided about the benefits and relatively low costs involved in in installing a solar system.

Posted on 05/06/2017 08:40

My non-scientific observation is that the period April to October is exactly the period when our Solar setup copes easily,  by that I mean the battery is fully charged by about mid-day.  Obviously everyone's usage is different.  I deliberately haven't gone down the inverter route so perhaps my usage is going to be less than yours, but it sounds to me you have a system that works for you.  Which is great. 

young thomas replied on 05/06/2017 09:12

Posted on 04/06/2017 21:40 by Boff

BB my costing weren't intended as a snipe at you.  They reflected roughly what it cost me.  But if I had to pay £700 would I do it. The answer is yes in a heartbeat, because it gives me the choice to go where I want not where has the best facilities.  

Ps I think it was Oscar Wilde who described a cynic as someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

For me the value of my autonomy, far exceeds any cost.  The fact it saves me money is a nice bonus.  

Posted on 05/06/2017 09:12

Boff, no umbrage take, of coursesmile

like you, its the convenience and flexibility which is what we seek, and irrespective of the payback period, this is what we get....so happywink

Boff replied on 05/06/2017 10:12

Posted on 05/06/2017 10:12

A few people have suggested that the club should promote off grid caravanning, either for economical or environmental reasons.  Some of you will have thought that there is no chance of this happening.

Following the rebranding exercise it appears that the club values are the following.

Pioneer

Inspire

Simplify

Inclusive

So isn't it time that the club stood up for these values because I think that going off grid just about fits into each of those categories.  So to stop it being yet more empty words and in terms that the Marketing types will understand:

You have talked the talk, isn't it about time you walked the walk?

young thomas replied on 05/06/2017 10:53

Posted on 05/06/2017 10:53

trouble is, it doesnt fit with the majority of the the club site offerings.

however, a 'non-ehu' pricing system shouldnt be beyond the club, even C&CC can do this @ £4.10 per night.....so £28.70 saving a week, not bad.

peegeenine replied on 05/06/2017 11:53

Posted on 05/06/2017 11:53

I don't look for a return on the monies I have spent on items that allow me to go off grid. The fact that the Gaslow system allows me cheap gas and my solar panel and twin batteries give me "free" electricity is just a bonus. Convenience and the freedom to camp anywhere is what these items give me.
I have been off grid camping for over 25 years and in those early years sacrifices had to be made. Now, with a solar panel, I can keep my batteries topped up and charge up all the electric gismos we now can't do without and still watch the Grand Prix! I regularly do up to 12 days off grid, remaining static, with no problems. That is mainly March to October and for those other months I would be looking for EHU if camping more than 3-4 nights because the heating system is power hungry and long nights require a bit more tely.
I am shortly going off on a UK 6 week tour and only have 1 weekend and 1 week booked at events, the rest I will just turn up. My style of camping won't suit everyone but it is out there to be tried.
ps, Why let a hair drier rule your camping.cool

Merve replied on 06/06/2017 19:47

Posted on 05/06/2017 10:12 by Boff

A few people have suggested that the club should promote off grid caravanning, either for economical or environmental reasons.  Some of you will have thought that there is no chance of this happening.

Following the rebranding exercise it appears that the club values are the following.

Pioneer

Inspire

Simplify

Inclusive

So isn't it time that the club stood up for these values because I think that going off grid just about fits into each of those categories.  So to stop it being yet more empty words and in terms that the Marketing types will understand:

You have talked the talk, isn't it about time you walked the walk?

Posted on 06/06/2017 19:47

Excellent post boff, but, however much I want to think of me being 'included ' in the club, I don't really believe I am.  There are various reasons for that, not least of all the clubs reluctance to supply SENSIBLY priced pitches for those of us who have embraced the modern technologies and find that they really do work in the modern caravan. I would say the the club must be worried about the new technologies but they can rest assured! - If the average caravaner is the standard article. I have spoken to many an EHUer over the past 3 or 4 years and have found almost to a man that they are either locked into the orange cable and Calor or they are totally disbelieving of what I tell them. The vast majority of caravanners are set in their ways and have no incling of the fact that things have changed and no real attempt by the club has been made to alter that- why should they- why would they? Over two years ago I asked the clubs editorial dept to come and interview me, to photograph my van and the type of equipment in it and to write an unbiased article on the modern day ease of 'going off grid'. Not one entitled ' Back to Basics!!!'  I rang them again in the Autumn of last year to remind them and again I was promised some movement. I am still waiting!! Surprise surprise!! So, we who have done it and understand what it means to go off grid and be just as comfortable will just have to enjoy it for ourselves- uncluttered sites and very little difficulty booking them! - oh, and very reasonable fees! 

young thomas replied on 06/06/2017 20:38

Posted on 06/06/2017 20:38

i think a while back MMM did an article featuring Clive Mott's Concorde, which is brimming with 'off gridding' equipment...

however, this was obviously aimed at motorhomers who are a little more adventurous when it comes to not being a slave to club sites and orange cables.

with CC, the core member plumps for typical site with a plentiful (paid for) electric supply and, as such, sees no reason to consider how to 'do things' differently, they work perfectly for them via hook up.

however, there are others out there who, whilst being members of the club, dont see these sites as their primary choices....

its these vanners who may choose non-ehu sites (CL/CS/THS and Aires overseas) and will investigate their options for making these work for them....investing to save money...

Merve replied on 06/06/2017 20:38

Posted on 04/06/2017 10:53 by kevlon

I too have just spent 3 days on a CL in the Yorkshire Dales without EHU. This has been our first time out after fitting a solar panal and buying a Safefill gas bottle along with changing all our lighting bulbs to SMDs. We were the only outfit on the site during our stay while the private site up the road behind the pub seemed to be full. I visited their website to discover that they charged a minimum of £22 per unit with added extras for awnings, extra people, extra cars and I wouldn't be surprised if they imposed a charge for the view. At first I thought it resembled a refugee camp!
We, however, had a field to ourselves on the edge of the village with just sheep and birdsong to keep us company. Now the best bit, we paid £5 per night. We felt a sheer sense of satisfaction knowing that our carbon footprint has been significantly reduced. I know everybody is different, which is a good thing, but I'm becoming increasingly convinced that a clear lack of understanding is behind most members reluctance to look into this money saving initiative. I also think the club should champion the cause rather than simply choosing to ignor progress and the obvious benefits to its members. An example of this attitude is apparent when searching for a CL site which has No EHU. A search of the directory for a site without a red tick is a painstaking exercise and using a website search is equally frustrating. I can search for a CL site that excludes dogs but not one that excludes EHU. All this begs the question, is the club being run for the benefit of its members or is there another agenda? The needs of the differing sections of the club seem to be catered for but those seeking to minimise their carbon footprint are being neglected. The Caravan and Motorhome Club rightly champions the benefits of embracing the delights of the countryside and looking after our wildlife so why aren't "we" also helping to reduce the use of fossil fuels? Puzzling!!

Posted on 06/06/2017 20:38

Kelvon, I think you describe the satisfaction of a job well done very well. Thank you. However, I must make one point having read the various posts since I last visited  this thread. We , the liberated few, know that power is a valuable resource and where ever power can be saved, and in this context I am talking about electrical power gathered from the sun, we should use another resource. That is LPG. (Safefill and Gaslow type systems) Boiling a kettle is definitely the job of LPG as is the fridge unless you happen to have a compressor fridge and an SP of at least 200w but that's another discussion. I am so pleased that you have discovered that total feeling of freedom, and caravanning as it should be done! 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook