How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 25/07/2017 07:18

Posted on 25/07/2017 07:18

Further to the above, Site fees for 3 weeks £105, gas for Safefill, £10.19 - 4 adults and 2 kids had a great holiday and we wanted for nothing. Value for money or what? Even comparing against an EHU CL at say £15 a night - £210 saved - Calor gas in 6kg Cylinders I  would have had to have bought 2. - £48 - another £38 to spend on our holiday. If I was making a comparison against a club site I could double the savings! Modern technologies really do work and really do save money. 

caravanerkarl replied on 26/07/2017 08:35

Posted on 26/07/2017 08:35

Well our first non EHU went all OK, I may have been a little more paranoid than I should have been (any reason that other light is on when we are all sitting in the front playing cards......) but battery held up OK I did not bother to check voltage (left meter at home) but battery  stayed in green on the swift built in meter.

As we was only away for a couple of days did not really get to put it to any great test, but fridge works OK on gas and never needed the heating, so still got plenty of gas in the calorlite bottles. Will speak with our local Autogas station when we start to get low and allowing for the red book info to filter through as to if we go the Gassafe route, no good if we can't get it filled!

Merve, sounds like a bargain, where did you stay?

Merve replied on 26/07/2017 14:27

Posted on 26/07/2017 14:27

Hi Karl, Site number 525 (LYNCH Farm) in the book. Couple of miles to the sea at West Bay, some lovely countryside, quaint villages and fishing on the Chesil! Been there before but they have put it up one whole pound! Can you believe it! Seriously though, Nice lady, nice site non EHU site. Really pleased your first non EHU adventure went well. Do you have an SP? 

caravanerkarl replied on 26/07/2017 17:12

Posted on 26/07/2017 14:27 by Merve

Hi Karl, Site number 525 (LYNCH Farm) in the book. Couple of miles to the sea at West Bay, some lovely countryside, quaint villages and fishing on the Chesil! Been there before but they have put it up one whole pound! Can you believe it! Seriously though, Nice lady, nice site non EHU site. Really pleased your first non EHU adventure went well. Do you have an SP? 

Posted on 26/07/2017 17:12

Hi,

Yes did post about it earlier in the thread although that's got a big long now so hard to navigate.

Got a 150 fixed and a new MPPT controller that I may fit this weekend when we go away again (another non EHU site for just shy of a week so will really see how it goes now.

young thomas replied on 26/07/2017 18:38

Posted on 26/07/2017 18:38

Merve, hope you got to try Hive Beach Cafe, we love it down Burton Bradstock way....

weve been looking for a new CL to try in that area (when the THS sites arent around) and this looks great. thanks for sharing.

young thomas replied on 26/07/2017 19:15

Posted on 26/07/2017 19:15

Merve, just checking out this site, i couldnt make the directions match the location of the site (lynch farm, Icen Lane....).

the directions say turn right at the crossroads in Shipton Gorge (after Port Lane) but this will take you into Markets Lane. it says the site is on the right, but if heading for Icen Lane from Shipton, it will be on the left.

i am assuming the CL is actually at Lynch Farm and not down Markets Lane...The postcode and GPS both point to Lynch farm in Icen Lane.

bit confused....not the thing to be on those timy roadswink

Merve replied on 26/07/2017 20:54

Posted on 26/07/2017 17:12 by caravanerkarl

Hi,

Yes did post about it earlier in the thread although that's got a big long now so hard to navigate.

Got a 150 fixed and a new MPPT controller that I may fit this weekend when we go away again (another non EHU site for just shy of a week so will really see how it goes now.

Posted on 26/07/2017 20:54

150w is a nice size. You have the first building block for a very successful non EHU system. Perhaps an extra battery  and perhaps later an inverter? I wish you all the success and satisfaction in discovering the world of non EHU. Z

Merve replied on 26/07/2017 21:01

Posted on 26/07/2017 19:15 by young thomas

Merve, just checking out this site, i couldnt make the directions match the location of the site (lynch farm, Icen Lane....).

the directions say turn right at the crossroads in Shipton Gorge (after Port Lane) but this will take you into Markets Lane. it says the site is on the right, but if heading for Icen Lane from Shipton, it will be on the left.

i am assuming the CL is actually at Lynch Farm and not down Markets Lane...The postcode and GPS both point to Lynch farm in Icen Lane.

bit confused....not the thing to be on those timy roadswink

Posted on 26/07/2017 21:01

My pleasure BB. It would be brilliant to meet up. Perhaps one day it will happen. Yes, the Burton Bradstock area is lovely and we have now been there twice. Yes, the directions are a bit weird but as you turn right off the A35 after Bridport and sign posted Shipton Gorge, if you follow the direction in the book you will end up going down the hill to the site. No, the site is away from the farmhouse- you can see the Farmhouse from the site. When you turn left into Port LaneHave faith๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ and then right -  you go to the Xroads you then turn sharp right and you'll be heading down a hill- you'll find the site on the right and the gateway will be right for you coming from that direction.

kevlon replied on 26/07/2017 21:25

Posted on 26/07/2017 21:25

Seems as though you've found a gem there Merve and at only £5 per night. I'm the bearer of some news that you may be interested in. You may have seen that next years 'National' is due to be held at Sledmere House in East Yorkshire which is just a couple of miles from Wetwang, where I live. After all the controvesy surrounding the SP using members having to pay for EHU at this years national despite not needing it. (Personally I find it outrageous....to me it is akin to being charged for wifi regardless of whether or not you require it) I can provide you with details of a CL site which is 16 miles from Sledmere House. Highfield Lodge is just £2.50 per night. A proper Yorkshire welcome awaits.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook