Going Greener

Hedgehurst replied on 31/08/2017 18:04

Posted on 31/08/2017 18:04

This "saving money" section, with the wonderful "How to thrive on non-EHU" thread and some others, is ever more concentrating on such things as solar power, which is truly valuable and I'm not alone in learning a lot, for which I'm grateful to those posting here.

I'd like the CMC to start a new section devoted to issues of going greener, which is not necessarily the same as saving money, but often ends up that way in the long run. I'll ask them, but am not holding my breath!

Meanwhile I'd like to ask the collective wisdom and experience here: with Solar power already getting  a good airing,  what other ways are you aware of / already practising, which can help us with a more ecologically friendly approach to caravanning or MH-ing?

We're still only months into our caravanning career, so have lots to learn. I've already learned a lot which wasn't obvious at first sight, things which the website we're all on here certainly doesn't shout about, but there must be a whole lot more tips and techniques we're unaware of. I'm confident we're not the only ones who would like to make our holidays more eco-friendly, without wearing hair shirts.

I do realise the very idea of a box on wheels which you drag/drive round the country isn't in itself very green, and look forward to the time when cleaner, effective vehicles are more available and more affordable, but for the time being, I'm hoping for ideas of what's practicable now, please.

They can be high tech, or low tech, just things which work, and make a positive difference.

Thanks.

young thomas replied on 31/08/2017 18:52

Posted on 31/08/2017 18:52

HH, good post, it would be nice to see the club contribute regularly to this thread with ideas and comments on suggestions made and some of their own which,im sure, the sites team will have been given much thought over recent uears/months....

for starters, heres my twopenneth and something a bit different to our usual so.ar panels and refillable gas themes.....

ELECTRIC BIKES......

these are wonderful things that can get us all put and about to a radius of, say, 15-20 miles of sites, without having to take the car.

shopping can be acheived with decent pannier sets, the paper shop/milk run now doesnt involve a car.....

of course, perhaps walking or running might be even better but lets (literally) 'cycle' before we run....

ive just done a little over 10,000 km on my ebike, which ive had for 40 months.....now, a lot of that milage has been for pleasure, but theres an awful lot, too, that has been for short (upto 20 miles) shopping trips that means the equivalent mileage has been saved in the car....

we use them at home but also when away in the MH and they can even be charged when off EHU by means of an inverter.....so, for the majority of my time away,my battery power for my bike even comes from the sun....

yesterday we did a 66km round trip to the island of Normoutier (from St Jean de Monts) on a continuous off road, purpose built track, and you really get to see the countryside like this.

in the spring we were in Spain for 9 weeks and dribbling into the countryside away from the tourist areas took just a few minutes and we were totally immersed in the quiet and calmness of the inland areas...

this just would not be the same in a car.....

if anyone is thinking about it, i would say have a try of an ebike, post your interest here and those that use them can offer some advice on type, size, battery range, charging, weights, costs etc, etc....

SteveL replied on 31/08/2017 18:55

Posted on 31/08/2017 18:55

One eco site that we stopped at on the other side, used solar power to heat all the water. That perhaps might not work here, but they also had a compost heap where they asked you to put veg waste, there was a list of what was and wasn't acceptable. I don't see why the CC should not do something similar. It should reduce overall refuse transported off site and therefore have a cost impact. The compost could be used on site.

Oh as to your comment about a box on wheels. We can all make a big difference 50 / 55 burns significantly less fuel than 60 mph.

paul56 replied on 31/08/2017 20:22

Posted on 31/08/2017 20:22

Often think the 'grey' water which is 90% shower water in our van could be put to better use than tipping down the drain.

Brian1 replied on 31/08/2017 21:02

Posted on 31/08/2017 21:02

HH - if you want to be really green

- stay at home, don't travel

- turn the heating off

tongue-out

Hedgehurst replied on 31/08/2017 21:25

Posted on 31/08/2017 18:52 by young thomas

HH, good post, it would be nice to see the club contribute regularly to this thread with ideas and comments on suggestions made and some of their own which,im sure, the sites team will have been given much thought over recent uears/months....

for starters, heres my twopenneth and something a bit different to our usual so.ar panels and refillable gas themes.....

ELECTRIC BIKES......

these are wonderful things that can get us all put and about to a radius of, say, 15-20 miles of sites, without having to take the car.

shopping can be acheived with decent pannier sets, the paper shop/milk run now doesnt involve a car.....

of course, perhaps walking or running might be even better but lets (literally) 'cycle' before we run....

ive just done a little over 10,000 km on my ebike, which ive had for 40 months.....now, a lot of that milage has been for pleasure, but theres an awful lot, too, that has been for short (upto 20 miles) shopping trips that means the equivalent mileage has been saved in the car....

we use them at home but also when away in the MH and they can even be charged when off EHU by means of an inverter.....so, for the majority of my time away,my battery power for my bike even comes from the sun....

yesterday we did a 66km round trip to the island of Normoutier (from St Jean de Monts) on a continuous off road, purpose built track, and you really get to see the countryside like this.

in the spring we were in Spain for 9 weeks and dribbling into the countryside away from the tourist areas took just a few minutes and we were totally immersed in the quiet and calmness of the inland areas...

this just would not be the same in a car.....

if anyone is thinking about it, i would say have a try of an ebike, post your interest here and those that use them can offer some advice on type, size, battery range, charging, weights, costs etc, etc....

Posted on 31/08/2017 21:25

Nice idea, BB, and one we'd not considered. Do these bikes fold down, or do you just have to have a large space to transport them?

Hedgehurst replied on 31/08/2017 21:33

Posted on 31/08/2017 18:55 by SteveL

One eco site that we stopped at on the other side, used solar power to heat all the water. That perhaps might not work here, but they also had a compost heap where they asked you to put veg waste, there was a list of what was and wasn't acceptable. I don't see why the CC should not do something similar. It should reduce overall refuse transported off site and therefore have a cost impact. The compost could be used on site.

Oh as to your comment about a box on wheels. We can all make a big difference 50 / 55 burns significantly less fuel than 60 mph.

Posted on 31/08/2017 21:33

Eco site - what a lovely thought :-) We've used sites in this country where the facilities block water has been either entirely or partially heated by solar roof panels, and they've worked very well.

Compost bins, that's a good thought. I'm writing to the CMC to prod them about various measures on their sites, and this is a good one. If you don't mind, I'll borrow it and add it to my letter.

Agree about taking a few mph of the speed. We're lucky that our pop-top van has a lot less drag too, which really helps, but that's not to everyone's taste!

Hedgehurst replied on 31/08/2017 21:41

Posted on 31/08/2017 20:22 by paul56

Often think the 'grey' water which is 90% shower water in our van could be put to better use than tipping down the drain.

Posted on 31/08/2017 21:41

Food for thought there - I certainly reckon this could be much more used by sites. We've met places using roof water for flushing - not CMC of course - but once we recycle washing water with soap and grease in it seems more problematic, either in buildings or vans.

I suppose it could be used to fill the flush tank... though I'm guessing storing it might lead to clogging the system up?

But it does seem a pity just to chuck it, yes.

SteveL replied on 31/08/2017 23:03

Posted on 31/08/2017 23:03

Compost bins, that's a good thought. I'm writing to the CMC to prod them about various measures on their sites, and this is a good one. If you don't mind, I'll borrow it and add it to my letter.

Please do. It is only the second time I have come across it. Both were in France. The other time on a site run by an English couple.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook