Noseweight (again)

DippingIn replied on 12/10/2019 12:59

Posted on 12/10/2019 12:59

Hello All, absolute newbie with a question regarding nose weight.

I am very happy that my 'maximum' nose-weight is 100kg, this is based on car limitations, towbar max towing capacity, and the 5-7% ratio.  So I am happy with how the weight figure is achieved.

My question is - if it is the 'maximum' nose-weight, does this also mean 'optimum' nose-weight. 

We pack light and to be honest I am struggling to achieve 100kg at the nose with heavy internal items (empty waste tubs, awning, picnic chairs) over the axle where possible.  

Does anyone find that reducing the measured nose-weight below 'maximum' enhances stability and road handling therefore achieving 'optimum' nose-weight. I am aware that every combination of car/caravan will behave slightly differently, but I have a 2.0 Kuga AWD with Alddis Avante. I measure with the Milenco calibrated nose gauge.

I'm a little afraid to play with weights as I'm aware the consequences could be grave, however whenever I read 'do not exceed xxx kg' that's pretty much a warning to keep below that limit where possible.

Many thanks for any experiences or advice you may wish to share.

JP

JVB66 replied on 12/10/2019 14:08

Posted on 12/10/2019 14:08

The weights that are shown for towbar ie 100kg and the nose weight of the caravan should not be exceeded ,the max weight on an Alco hitch is also 100kg  

replied on 12/10/2019 14:18

Posted on 12/10/2019 14:18

No idea what MPTLM your caravan is D. Ours is 1,500 kg and although car max is 100kg I aim for 85 kg. However I don't check every trip. We mainly tour and the caravan is loaded in the same manner with similar loads on each trip. When I do check these days I find it is between 82kg and 87kg generally and I am happy with that. I use a set of bathroom scales bought for that purpose as I can easily check calibration by standing on them smile 

commeyras replied on 12/10/2019 14:31

Posted on 12/10/2019 14:31

Hello Dipppingin.  The question of nose weights is a regular topic on this forum.  You have rightly surmised that 100kg is the MAXIMUM for your car/caravan and this must not be exceeded.  However, you should aim to get as close to is as possible to give maximum stability.  My max is also 100 kgs and I aim for a nose weight as near 90+ kgs as I can. With my caravan I achieve this quite easily but with some outfits it is nearly impossible.  The only advice I can give is to play about with the loading of your caravan using the principle of heaviest low and over the axle and light at either end.  I see you put your awning above the axle.  Whilst this is sound in principle this is probably the heaviest single item you carry so try moving it forward towards the front of the caravan.  I have 2 gas bottles and a Gaz bottle in the front gas storage box where I also put the electric cable.  Can you get the spare wheel at the front of the caravan?  Is your toilet at the rear of the caravan?  If so, maybe you should empty the reservoir of clean water before you tow (1 ltr of water = 1 kg).  It all  helps.

We were all newbies once so don't be afraid to ask any questions you want to.

richardandros replied on 12/10/2019 15:20

Posted on 12/10/2019 15:20

My experience is a little different in that for the last five years, I have always towed a twin axle van which tend to be more stable. However, I agree with comeyras that it is best to try and get as close to the maximum without exceeding it.  I am governed by the maximum hitch load of 100kg on the Alko chassis since my car will take 140kg on the towbar and I always try to get it just over the 90kg mark.  I find if it's any lower, the ride tends to be a bit 'bouncy'.

What I am surprised about is that you carry the awning in the van, albeit over the axles. Based on my experience of our last van - a TA Barcelona, I was 20kg over maximum weight with only the bare essentials in it - certainly no clothes or food. Even with our present van with a 360kg payload, I wouldn't consider putting the awning in the van.

Even though it may be over the axle, it is still going to have a 'pendulum' effect if anything goes wrong.

dmiller555 replied on 12/10/2019 15:46

Posted on 12/10/2019 15:46

My 1500Kg caravans nose weight is normally in the range 80 to 90Kg and is very stable to tow. 

I suggest that you consider taking your loaded van to a weigh bridge and checking the total weight of your caravan is also within limits. 

replied on 12/10/2019 15:58

Posted on 12/10/2019 15:58

Much like ours Dmiller. Empty the van is about 63kg on the nose and twitchy. Not a problem going to and from service but not desirable on a tour. 

Tigi replied on 12/10/2019 19:06

Posted on 12/10/2019 19:06

The optimum nose weight is 5-7% of your caravans weight . provided you do not exceed your cars maximum noseweight or the tow hitch`s maximum noseweight which is 100KG.

You do not need to achieve 100kgs to tow safely I like 75-85Kgs on a caravan of 1350Kgs.

The snag with an unnecessarily high a noseweight is the wear on the rear suspension especially if you are loading the car internally as well and you leave no room for error.

DippingIn replied on 13/10/2019 21:02

Posted on 13/10/2019 21:02

Thanks all, went out this afternoon for the first time.  Measured the nose at 87kg and suffered significant snaking within 1 minute on open road.

Stopped and moved the weightier items a little further over the axle and it smoothed out very well, which was a relief! 

I did notice some unusual movements along the line of the car / van. I guess this is where the van is pushing down onto the towbar as you go over bumps and rolls in the road, just an unusual feeling more than a problem.

Did some good reverse parking as well so all ready for first trip!

Thanks for all the advice.... JP

replied on 13/10/2019 21:12

Posted on 13/10/2019 21:12

Did you increase car tyre pressures to those recommended for fully laden? 

DippingIn replied on 13/10/2019 21:28

Posted on 13/10/2019 21:28

Yes, both van and caravan checked and correct, the car is at fully laden rate.  I was surprised what a difference a small weight shift made to the stability of the van.  

We've made notes on load position so hopefully we can emulate the set up each time we move.  Apart from food it's unlikely the load will change whatever the time of year.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook