Lunar Clubman SB family of 4? (layout conundrum)

matlitel replied on 03/10/2016 11:29

Posted on 03/10/2016 11:29

Hi All

After rejecting a Sterling Eccles 590 last year we are now ready to place an order for a new van. At the time (last year) we felt the 590 with the end dinette and fixed bunks was the best layout as we have 2 kids (8 and 3) but I felt I was compromising space with that layout because of the central washroom.

However we had a look at the new Lunar Clubman SB (fixed beds) and we fell in love with it however I’m not sure if it would be suitable for a family of 4. My thinking is the kids would have the fixed beds and me and the other half would use the lounge double @ 6'11" x 5'0" which is slightly smaller than the Eccles.

My question really has anyone got experience with this layout and is it suitable for a young family? Also is the front double size suitable for adults? I’m 5’10” she’s smaller than me! Also, this is our first caravan so be gentle!! J

lesbunny replied on 03/10/2016 12:09

Posted on 03/10/2016 12:09

IMHO Any layout that allows you to put the kids to bed & still lets the adults watch TV etc will be fine.

Navigateur replied on 03/10/2016 12:27

Posted on 03/10/2016 12:27

Appearance can be so deceptive! I feel you have not yet reached the stage of looking at specific models and should think through how you will use the layout. Fixed beds use up a lot of space volume in a 'van.

The children are young and small and would easily use bunk beds for many years to come.  Children also usually thorougly enjoy the play factor of bunks.  Either fixed bunks or the traditional two seater dinette with folding bunk above would release a great deal of space inside.

If the bunks are located at the rear with a mid washroom you get the late night adult TV with the kids pretending to sleep at the other end. Another condsideration is whether children or adults rise first in the morning, so a door to the outside world between the sleeping spaces is a good plan.

Tammygirl replied on 03/10/2016 13:50

Posted on 03/10/2016 13:50

Our last caravan was a Lunar Lexon SB, in that model we had 2 fixed singles at the rear of the van the toilet/wash hand basin, one side, the shower the other side in the middle of the van, there was a pull across door at the end of the beds and the toilet door also opened across the middle of the van. With this layout it was possinle to close off the kids at night and give access to the toilet for us or close off the front section giving the kids easy access to the toilet, the third option was used if we had family/friends with us was to close off both doors giving both parties privacy. We took our grandkids away with us a number of times, them using the fixed singles at the rear and us the front make up double. There was plenty of space in the van for all, the kids like going to their end to play and we liked that we still had lots of lounge space. If this is still the same layout you shouldn't have a problem, but if they have moved the bathroom to the rear then it will mean you having to go through the kids bedroom everytime you need to use the loo. In the end only you can say if that would be an issue. If it were me I would prefer the central bathroom version.

matlitel replied on 03/10/2016 16:21

Posted on 03/10/2016 16:21

It's an end bathroom but I don't see that being a problem. We have looked extensively at all possible layouts and features but the Clubman is much more cosy, TV’s are better located (especially for the kids) the only gripe is the lack of a dinette which the Eccles has at the rear. Oh decisions decisions!

ValDa replied on 03/10/2016 17:34

Posted on 03/10/2016 17:34

When you have a family I think you will always have to compromise on something, either space in the bathroom, kitchen space, wardrobe space, or dinette.  I would be asking myself how I planned to use the van - surely the amount of time you'll all spend in the bathroom won't be anything like the amount of time 'living' in the rest of the van.  I think I'd be looking for something more like the original layout that you seemed happy with.

To me the Lunar layout would be more suited to a mature couple, who will 'live' in the lounge, sleep in the rear beds, and use the rear bathroom. 

There are other radically different layouts - have you checked the European vans offered such as Adria, Hymer, Burstner, Caravalaire, etc.

replied on 03/10/2016 20:05

Posted on 03/10/2016 20:05

Our last caravan was a Lunar Lexon SB, in that model we had 2 fixed singles at the rear of the van the toilet/wash hand basin, one side, the shower the other side in the middle of the van, there was a pull across door at the end of the beds and the toilet door also opened across the middle of the van. With this layout it was possinle to close off the kids at night and give access to the toilet for us or close off the front section giving the kids easy access to the toilet, the third option was used if we had family/friends with us was to close off both doors giving both parties privacy. We took our grandkids away with us a number of times, them using the fixed singles at the rear and us the front make up double. There was plenty of space in the van for all, the kids like going to their end to play and we liked that we still had lots of lounge space. If this is still the same layout you shouldn't have a problem, but if they have moved the bathroom to the rear then it will mean you having to go through the kids bedroom everytime you need to use the loo. In the end only you can say if that would be an issue. If it were me I would prefer the central bathroom version.

I think layout (saw it in 2012) was good for kids/family as the kids had there own end of the van.

Wildwood replied on 03/10/2016 22:42

Posted on 03/10/2016 22:42

It is not a layout we would have chosen when we had children with us but we are all different. I cannot see why it would not work but it does mean when they are in bed you have to pass them to get to the toilet. This might not be a problem if they sleep well but if not I would accept the limitations of a layout with a central toilet. It all depends where you compromise though as you are trying to make the best use of limited space.

young thomas replied on 04/10/2016 07:42

Posted on 04/10/2016 07:42

why does a central toilet (and persumably, shower) cause 'limitations'?

from the OPs perspective, the layout described by TG would allow access to kids and parents from each end of the van, negating one party from passing the other occupying the rear bed.

for a four berth, isnt this desitable?

cant 'across the centre' washrooms be as workable and as spacious as those at the rear, and can also be divided off, from noth ends, as described?

unless its a weight/balance thing, i dont see the issue, but im not a caravanner...

these layouts seem to be all the rage in MH, but that might be to do with the desire for the rear to beds with storage underneath. 

Wildwood replied on 04/10/2016 20:23

Posted on 04/10/2016 20:23

I do agree the accross the centre washrooms seem to be the best compromise to me but they are very new to the market. Not sure there are any with the two rear beds wanted here though.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook