American Forest River or Hobby 720 KFU

CamperKaren replied on 05/07/2017 21:00

Posted on 05/07/2017 21:00

Hi,

Today we have viewed 2 American Caravan Dealers and a Hobby Dealer.  The Amercian is a River Forest Surveyor 247BHS and the Hobby is a 720 KFU

Both are approx the same money - £27k.

Both are 8m

The American has air conditioning and outside cooking / fridge on the side with large beds and 2 slide out hydraulic sides.

We have 3 springer spaniels which would benefit from air conditioning....

I called DVLA and on both our licences we are able to tow a vehicle upto 3500KGs and a trailer upto 3500kgs.

I am undecided as to which one to go for.......

Both are in stock and available, delivered in 4 days....

What other considerations should we be thinking of............any ideas welcome.

Kind REgards

Karen and Andy

Boff replied on 06/07/2017 20:56

Posted on 06/07/2017 12:38 by KjellNN

For £27k you could get a nearly new, large UK twin axle, including the cost of fitting air con .

Posted on 06/07/2017 20:56

But would you want to?laughing

Actually I think you need to take a step back.  In reality vans of the size you are talking about tend to be permanently sited because they are so big to tow.  If you are happy towing that then fine. But the risk is it becomes so stressful you use the van less than you would with something smaller and more manoeverable.

Regarding spare parts I don't know anything about Hobby's but we have had 3 Hymers over the past 12 years or so and we have had absolutely no problem with obtaining specific parts and as KjelNN states most of the other parts will be fairly standard. 

KjellNN replied on 06/07/2017 21:38

Posted on 06/07/2017 21:38

It will indeed depend on how you feel about towing.

Does not bother me, I like having the fixed bed and OH loves the large shower room and the big fridge.

Ours has done almost 40k miles from new, in the 9 years we have had it, and other than at one site in France and one in Switzerland, the fact it is a large T/A has not been a problem.

Being retired, we have 3-4 months away in total every year and have traveled as far as the south of Italy and North Cape in Norway.

We look at new vans now and again, but have not seen one we like as much as the one we have.

Boff replied on 06/07/2017 22:00

Posted on 05/07/2017 22:35 by KjellNN

If you plan to get a large van, often that will be a twin axle.  

You mention going to France, be aware that some French sites will not accept twin axles (as these are commonly used by "travellers"), others will offer to take you then charge you three times the going rate, while others are happy to accept you.  

Until you turn up you will not know, unless you ring or e mail ahead, and even then you may get a different response when you actually get there!

However, do not let that put you off too much, there are plenty of sites out there.  It's just wise to be aware of what can happen.  It is only France, in our experience, where this may be a problem.

Posted on 06/07/2017 22:00

Although ours is a single axle but at 8m total length x 2.4m wide and 1900kg it is not the smallest in the world and I do think that width as much as weight and length plays a part in the real world.  It does come down to what you are comfortable with. Perhaps what I am trying to say is a big van is something I would want to build up to rather than leaping in and getting burnt. 

CamperKaren replied on 06/07/2017 23:30

Posted on 06/07/2017 23:30

OK, going to look at some UK caravans, what manufacturers in UK would be similar to a Hobby?  I like the luxurious finish and fittings.  

I think you're right about being too eye catching for a certain community and even though we have a safe gated property, if they want it, they'll get it!  I had a quote for Insurance off CC for £348 which isn't too bad - the American van is £500 per year.

I thought of an Adria or Buccaneer - but not sure as I haven't been to many UK dealers.

I would like to buy new and my max budget is £27k, we would like it for 28th July as I have paid for my pitch at the Game Fair in Herts!

Thank You!

Karen

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 07/07/2017 08:00

Posted on 07/07/2017 08:00

CK, now you've invited the 'anti Brit Van' crowd in to rail at the dire level of damp proofing. . . .Good luck Girllaughinglaughing

N1805 replied on 07/07/2017 08:31

Posted on 07/07/2017 08:31

Timescale seems a bit tight why not look to hire one or even hire a motorhome for the event on the 28th.  Good luck

Pippah45 replied on 07/07/2017 08:55

Posted on 07/07/2017 08:55

I think the idea to try before you buy is a great one especially with the Game Fair looming.  Do something in haste....?  I have some friends very experienced MHs who went from a "normal" sized one to something I dubbed a Motor Castle and they found it too big for the roads and campsites so they downsized fairly quickly.  When I restarted caravanning I spent £750 on a nice old van to be sure I was still capable and quickly upgraded!  

Boff replied on 07/07/2017 09:06

Posted on 06/07/2017 23:30 by CamperKaren

OK, going to look at some UK caravans, what manufacturers in UK would be similar to a Hobby?  I like the luxurious finish and fittings.  

I think you're right about being too eye catching for a certain community and even though we have a safe gated property, if they want it, they'll get it!  I had a quote for Insurance off CC for £348 which isn't too bad - the American van is £500 per year.

I thought of an Adria or Buccaneer - but not sure as I haven't been to many UK dealers.

I would like to buy new and my max budget is £27k, we would like it for 28th July as I have paid for my pitch at the Game Fair in Herts!

Thank You!

Karen

Posted on 07/07/2017 09:06

Remember that Hobby make a full range of vans from small to big. It is the large twin axle versions that have a following in the U.K.  In the continent you will see examples in all sizes. 

JayEss replied on 07/07/2017 09:44

Posted on 07/07/2017 09:44

CamperKaren - see if you can have a look at a knaus starclass. Ticks the luxury boxes for sure 

Prices from £23k - the award winner model is just under £27 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook