Alde Compact 3020 HE system

Mandy and Stewart replied on 10/04/2017 16:45

Posted on 10/04/2017 16:45

Just returned from our second trip in our new Lunar Clubman SI with Alde heating system.

Just getting to grips with all the gizmos / switches and electronics on this new van. However as a newbie to caravanning  the one thing I can't get my head round is :

If, on the Electrical PSU,  I have the water heater totally switched off, with only the space heater switched on then  why do I get hot water that I wasn't expecting or asking for ? The Alde control panel is switched on but only for heating.

The water temp is really hot too. Is there anyway I can adjust the water temperature?

I'm suspecting that it is overheating ?

Is this normal for an alde system?

replied on 10/04/2017 16:51

Posted on 10/04/2017 16:51

The Alde system always produces hot water if the water has been connected to the caravan and the system primed. It is not separate. The hot water facility on the panel allows to boost the water temperature for 20 mins (heating water stops circulating) in order to raise the temperature for showers. To reduce temperatures the mixer taps are used. If you truly feel it is too hot I would speak to Alde for advice. Meanwhile read up the instructions or frequently asked questions on the Alde website

KjellNN replied on 10/04/2017 19:57

Posted on 10/04/2017 19:57

Yes, the instructions do clearly state that you will always get hot water if the  Alde is powered and you have filled  the water system.  They explain clearly how the system works.

Note also that, if your caravan  MCB  panel has both a water heater and a space heater switch, one will be redundant when you have the Alde, so unless you know which is the redundant one, best leave them both on.

Sounds like in this case the water heater one is the one not used.

Simon100 replied on 10/04/2017 20:57

Posted on 10/04/2017 20:57

Have a look here

http://www.alde.co.uk/alde-compact-products.php?itemCat=alde%203020%20compact%20system

This will give you some ideas of how the system works.

You will always have hot water, why would you not want hot water? But only central heating when the pump is pushing hot water through the radiator pipes.

The temperature is set at a level which minimises the risk of legionnaires etc being present.

bobandcelia replied on 18/04/2017 09:11

Posted on 18/04/2017 09:11

When we have our alde heating on during the night in our Conqueror 480 the pump will go on and off many times. The hum of the pump is minimal but we get loudish clicking noises (like pipes are expanding) each time the pump switches on - sometimes as many as 30 clicks. Has anyone else experienced this and how was it cured?

SteveL replied on 18/04/2017 09:24

Posted on 18/04/2017 09:11 by bobandcelia

When we have our alde heating on during the night in our Conqueror 480 the pump will go on and off many times. The hum of the pump is minimal but we get loudish clicking noises (like pipes are expanding) each time the pump switches on - sometimes as many as 30 clicks. Has anyone else experienced this and how was it cured?

Posted on 18/04/2017 09:24

I would describe ours as more the pipes groaning, rather  than loud clicking. However, I don't think it can be cured. It is simply the pipes and joints expanding as they heat up. It is more noticeable at this time of year when the pump goes on and off a lot. In the colder winter months it is on a lot more, and the fluid foes not cool as much. I suppose reducing the heating temperature to 1 kw would cause the pump to remain on longer and therefore you would have less heating cycles of the pipes.

MDD10 replied on 18/04/2017 18:31

Posted on 18/04/2017 09:11 by bobandcelia

Posted on 18/04/2017 18:31

I have just bought a new van with Alde and like you still getting to grips with it. However am very impressed, and re noise ..I find it virtually silent.  No clicking or anything.  I can just hear the boiler when firing up with gas if everything is totally silent and I'm trying to listen to check it has started.

DJAJKE replied on 19/04/2017 14:21

Posted on 19/04/2017 14:21

I have a 2015 Bailey Cadiz with Alde heating. I have just had my second service to be told that the blue coolant in the heating system only lasts two years and that the system needs to be completely drained and refilled with a red coolant that apparently will last for five years. Cost will be about 150 - 200 pounds.  I dont remember the salesman mentioning this when I purchased the van !

SteveL replied on 19/04/2017 19:14

Posted on 19/04/2017 18:43 by CBRBlackbird

Our 2015 Lunar was fitted with 5 years fluid. Are they trying to get some extra money out of you?

Posted on 19/04/2017 19:14

Bailey certainly filled our 2014 Cadiz with the blue two year fluid. So I think the dealer is telling the truth. I assume Bailey must make a slight cost saving over using 5 year, which given the number of vans they sell must mount up. I don't think Alde even sell a two year fluid, so clearly their intention is that 5 year should be used,

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook