Alde Compact 3020 HE system

Mandy and Stewart replied on 10/04/2017 16:45

Posted on 10/04/2017 16:45

Just returned from our second trip in our new Lunar Clubman SI with Alde heating system.

Just getting to grips with all the gizmos / switches and electronics on this new van. However as a newbie to caravanning  the one thing I can't get my head round is :

If, on the Electrical PSU,  I have the water heater totally switched off, with only the space heater switched on then  why do I get hot water that I wasn't expecting or asking for ? The Alde control panel is switched on but only for heating.

The water temp is really hot too. Is there anyway I can adjust the water temperature?

I'm suspecting that it is overheating ?

Is this normal for an alde system?

MDD10 replied on 19/04/2017 21:06

Posted on 19/04/2017 21:06

It is true.  My new one came with blue despite asking for it to be filled with red, but was advised it was filled at the factory by Swift.  The dealer offered to change it but cost was circa £100 and a pointless exercise as may as well wait 2 years

harryb replied on 20/04/2017 13:33

Posted on 20/04/2017 13:33

My Lunar Clubman, 2014, came with blue fluid. I chose to have it changed last year at the service to 5 year on the advice of the technician.

easyonthegas replied on 02/11/2018 19:00

Posted on 02/11/2018 19:00

The Alde rep at NEC stated that the 5 year fluid is pink, and the 2 year fluid is blue in colour.

I agree with your comment, why would you use the fluid which needs changing more often

Tigi replied on 02/11/2018 19:40

Posted on 02/11/2018 19:40

Our Alde system makes has a minor clicking of pipes as it heats up, but still can`t stop the gurgling in the header tank completely, its almost inaudible after a few minutes. Tried the usual things reduced pump speed to min (it as on 4 on delivery),bled the bathroom radiator but found no air whatsoever. Had blown air for years and a diesel heater in a PVC but find the Alde far far better, much more even distribution of heat without the drafts.

replied on 07/12/2018 19:36

Posted on 07/12/2018 19:36

Time moves very quickly where has the 4 yrs gone ? given our caravan is due for its 4th service.

The Alde heat transfer fluid change is well over due !!  Taken a look on You Tube and there are some good instructions available.  The first link below goes into the anti freeze requirements and the second link has a DIY guy going through the routine of changing the fluid if you're into the DIY side of things, I have purchased a pump and will change our fluid out in a week or two.

Will let you all know how things go.

The 3rd link shows a mobile service taking place.

The dealer price tag to have this kind of work carried out seems to range from £160 ~ £250 probably the going rate as it seems to be a two hour task, fluid is about £40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg-Z02QmT90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADhn3cdR954

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1IXtHhFI8

KjellNN replied on 08/12/2018 22:04

Posted on 08/12/2018 22:04

The load monitor is excellent, but be aware that it may not be fitted as standard.  You may need to purchase and install the extra cable.

replied on 21/12/2018 19:00

Posted on 21/12/2018 19:00

Completed the task of changing the heat transfer fluid on the Alde heating system, replaced it with the five year ready mix G40 antifreeze took a little longer at about three hours had to buy another five litres worth also.

Found the drain down point its located at the rear of the Bailey Unicorn series 3 Valencia under the number plate.

Flushed the system with water and then drained this off before filling the system with the G40 fluid, used more that I thought. The system volume is about 12 ~ 14 litres but I made sure all of the water was flushed out so probably used more of the G40 than needed.

The 12 volt pump did the job once it primed not so easy when pumping the  antifreeze.

Keep an eye on the fluid level as it suddenly dropped, must have been a large slug of air in the system.

All radiators heat evenly, very happy.

G40 cost £60, a tenner for the pump and £5 for some 22>15 mm plumbing fittings and clips.

Easy job.

Ps.. make sure you have plenty of rags at the ready.

chilling2 replied on 11/02/2019 06:07

Posted on 10/04/2017 16:45 by Mandy and Stewart

Just returned from our second trip in our new Lunar Clubman SI with Alde heating system.

Just getting to grips with all the gizmos / switches and electronics on this new van. However as a newbie to caravanning  the one thing I can't get my head round is :

If, on the Electrical PSU,  I have the water heater totally switched off, with only the space heater switched on then  why do I get hot water that I wasn't expecting or asking for ? The Alde control panel is switched on but only for heating.

The water temp is really hot too. Is there anyway I can adjust the water temperature?

I'm suspecting that it is overheating ?

Is this normal for an alde system?

Posted on 11/02/2019 06:07

We have exactly same in our new 2018 conqueror ..wakes us up ..

After being ba k to dealer twice and the radiator sent to alde ...no fault found ..I recorded the clicks .this isn't an isolated prob as I've seen several other similar ... we've ended up asking for chrome ladder radiator that should arrive from Sweden today ...costing us £360  ..am not amused but  if it let's us sleep at night it will be woth it

Margo and Jim Hardie 

Ps our dealer is not in the slightest helpful ..19 defects in new caravan. all but 3 fixed by my hubby ...they are 100 mile round trip away. 

Freedom a whitebox replied on 11/02/2019 07:11

Posted on 11/02/2019 06:07 by chilling2

We have exactly same in our new 2018 conqueror ..wakes us up ..

After being ba k to dealer twice and the radiator sent to alde ...no fault found ..I recorded the clicks .this isn't an isolated prob as I've seen several other similar ... we've ended up asking for chrome ladder radiator that should arrive from Sweden today ...costing us £360  ..am not amused but  if it let's us sleep at night it will be woth it

Margo and Jim Hardie 

Ps our dealer is not in the slightest helpful ..19 defects in new caravan. all but 3 fixed by my hubby ...they are 100 mile round trip away. 

Posted on 11/02/2019 07:11

The clicking sound is probably expansion and contraction of the metal components. It’s my assumption that is why the joints and bends are all made by rubber joints, to allow for the movement.

it might be worth investigating the pipe runs to see if there is anything touching and or preventing free movement (expansion)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook