Motorhome over 3m high

FireJohn replied on 23/12/2018 12:22

Posted on 23/12/2018 12:22

Hi, I have never owned a caravan or motorhome before and I am looking forward to many the adventures ahead, at home and abroad. I am purchasing a new motorhome in March. I am thinking of adding an AC unit but this may take me over 3m in height. I have been told that this will put me in a commercial vehicle category on toll roads on the continent. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? What will the difference in toll charges be?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/12/2018 13:18

Posted on 23/12/2018 13:18

I’m sure someone will be able to answer your question properly, FJ, but I’ll just urge you to make sure you have sufficient payload to allow for the AC unit as well as all your other gear as some MHs have very small allowances.

Welcome to you.

Mitsi Fendt replied on 23/12/2018 15:21

Posted on 23/12/2018 12:22 by FireJohn

Hi, I have never owned a caravan or motorhome before and I am looking forward to many the adventures ahead, at home and abroad. I am purchasing a new motorhome in March. I am thinking of adding an AC unit but this may take me over 3m in height. I have been told that this will put me in a commercial vehicle category on toll roads on the continent. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? What will the difference in toll charges be?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Posted on 23/12/2018 15:21

I believe this information may be correct. Have you tried Googling for a more precise answer?

JayOutdoors replied on 23/12/2018 16:24

Posted on 23/12/2018 16:24

Can’t help with cost as never use toll roads.  Maybe also consider when/where you would use an AC unit – many continental sites electricity are less amps than UK’s which may be an issue dependant on what other electrical items you want to run at the same time.   Good luck and enjoy.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/12/2018 16:34

Posted on 23/12/2018 16:34

500kg isn’t a terrific amount, FJ, although better than many. It’s going to need some careful calculation. Good luck.

FireJohn replied on 23/12/2018 16:42

Posted on 23/12/2018 16:42

Thanks both. I have now sorted it thanks to google. If you are over 3m High or 3.5 T GVW then you are a cat 3 on toll roads. As my MH is plated at 3.8 T having the AC or not doesn't affect this. 

replied on 23/12/2018 16:50

Posted on 23/12/2018 16:50

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidKlyne replied on 23/12/2018 19:37

Posted on 23/12/2018 19:37

The vagaries of the European toll systems!!! Sometimes its height, sometimes its weight and sometimes its both!!! In France I am not sure how they determine weight as I am unaware of being weighed whilst using the French Autoroutes. They do measure the height but I am not sure how sensitive the sensors are and how they are placed. You could always ask whether you should be Class 2 and they might relent?

David

JVB66 replied on 23/12/2018 20:00

Posted on 23/12/2018 20:00

If you think you will need cool air,then you could go for a motor caravan that has the Truma blown air heating system, as that can also just run on the fan without the heat setting, we have found it worked this year with the exeptional heat we had,in the uk,where as the Aldi system does not have that facility,

KeithandMargaret replied on 24/12/2018 09:36

Posted on 24/12/2018 09:36

I know that A/C has it's benefits but we've managed very well without one.

It was heading up to 40 degs last year in France and we coped quite well despite the temperatures.

The extra height, weight and initial cost seem to out way the minimal benefits and trying the MH first to see if it is beneficial to you before you buy might be a reasonable option.

If you only travel in the UK I doubt if it's worthwhile, others may disagree, but you are more likely to need or use it abroad.

If you go over 3 metres high the Toll fees in France for Classe 3 are about 50% higher than Classe 2 and if you use Toll roads a lot that's a very big hike in price.

Some French and Spanish Supermarkets and urban Fuel stations have 3, or just over, metres barriers which can catch you out.

If I was you I'd see how you go without A/C before spending your money on one.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook